• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

7950 computer shutdown bf3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Hi so i recently bought a 7950 OC (950 mhz) and tested it with bf3 but it shutdown after a while so i put the fanspeed up thinking it could've been overheating or something but it still shutdown afterwards.

I have a 600 watt PSU, could that be the problem? I don't really see how as amd itself says 500 should be enough, anyway here are my specs.

ASUS P7P55D Motherboard
Sapphire 7950 OC @ 950mhz
i7 860 @ 2.6ghz
8 GB RAM

I don't see how it could shutdown, i checked the temprature while i was playing at it was not over 60 degrees... so i dont know what is going on?

Level 22
Do you have the latest drivers? There could be a bug with the current drivers and the game itself. Sometimes that happens.
There is also a possibility of a production fault. Shit happens from time to time.

Also, when you say "shutdown", do you mean only the GPU itself shuts down? I.e you can still hear sounds from the game and your computer is essentially still running?

Edit:

Is this only with BF3?

Level 2
My first thought was: hey, that's overheating! I came up with another idea: I know it may be silly, but It happened to me: The electricity turns off :p I have ATI, too, but only 5670. It doesn't shut down for me. Try to update your ATI cataclyst stuff. It may be the reason. Also, do you have "restart on hard ware errors turned off?"

Level 27
I've ordered a new PSU and will see if it works. The computer would shut down as a whole and then restart a second after (In bf3 it happend after some minutes and with metro 2033 not even a minute in), and no there was no power outtage i've had that once before but it wont happen 4 times in a row =p

I hope it's not a fault as TheRebornDevil said.

Level 22
Possibly overheating. Even with fan speed at maxiumum cards like the Nvidia 8800 GT will still overheat when playing StarCraft II due to poor design (cooling not able to cope with the heat produced from the GPU).
I doubt it's overheating as he said it didn't go beyond 60° C degrees, and they support up to 80° C (my 7750 is supposed to handle 90° C) before they automatically shut themselves down (or should anyway).

Anyway, if the whole system shuts down and reboots, it sounds to me like it's not the GPU overheating or having any problems. It could actually be the PSU. At least I know from experience that a power failure does just that. If it's the GPU only, what usually follows is this:
a) You get a black screen, possibly followed with a message box saying "No signal" on your screen. Depends on your screen and/or manufacturer.
b) You get a bluescreen, with a detailed technical message regarding the error.
c) The GPU is shut down and rebooted by Windows, and you'll get a message saying there was an issue and that the GPU was reset.

Level 22
What shutdown?
The computer would shut down as a whole and then restart a second after
That shutdown.

If the computer spontaniously restarts that is a BSoD.

Not necessarily. When you get a BSoD you also SEE the blue screen. That's kinda the point. Also, as I said in the previous post, I know from experience that a power issue can also cause the exact same issues he's experiencing. The same happens with most machines, be it TVs, computers, consoles etc. When they lose power, they tend to reboot once the power returns. Regardless of how long it's out. Hell, some old computers would even START from slightly unstable power.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Not necessarily. When you get a BSoD you also SEE the blue screen.
Only if you have your BIOS configured to display it. Most modern computers have that option turned off by default and instead will restart the PC automaticly.

Power should only be turned off if your PSU is overheating (for your own safety) or if mains elecricity is lost for a period longer than the power supply is rated for. This is why people recommend using power supplies one or two rattings higher than your actual system needs.

Level 22
I have a 950 Watt one now and it works fine, i still find it weird as it said 500 watts recommended but i guess that still means minimum requirements.

500 Watt is the recommended wattage. That means it can be less and it will still work. Anyway, since switching PSU worked, I'm guessing your old PSU was either getting a bit faulty or had insufficient cooling.

Only if you have your BIOS configured to display it. Most modern computers have that option turned off by default and instead will restart the PC automaticly.
I consider my PC modern, but I do not have the option to turn on or off the display of BSoD in my BIOS. Neither do I see the reason for why that is even necessary (or even remotely favoured). I can't imagine that anyone would rather not know why their PC just randomly shut down.

Last edited:
Level 27
My brother was here one day and he peeled off a sticker of the box that was pasted over other text.

It said 500w psu with two 75w 6 pin connectors, and the sticker that corrected it was something like 125w (don't know if he threw it away) connector. So i thought maybe that might be the problem as my old psu didnt even have all cables in a net (considering all new ones do have that you can see it as an old model)

Status
Not open for further replies.