• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

4rankie's Terrain Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Well as I said before I was retired as a terrainer, But i have been nice enough to offer my help to Zieg with his map in terrain, and this is what i got done for him so far.

Edit: Sorry about the croping, didn't realize how bad it was.

Attachments

• Mountain 1.JPG
    Mountain 1.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Mountain 2.JPG
    Mountain 2.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 187
  • Mountain 3.JPG
    Mountain 3.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 180
  • Mountain Ruins Entrance.JPG
    Mountain Ruins Entrance.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Mountain Ruins Gem Room.JPG
    Mountain Ruins Gem Room.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Mountain Ruins Looking Through Entrance.JPG
    Mountain Ruins Looking Through Entrance.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 168
  • Mountain Ruins Looking Through Hall.JPG
    Mountain Ruins Looking Through Hall.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 173
The first 4 are somewhat decent for someone totally new at terraining, the last 3 are absolutely horrid devoid of any sort of good looks.

Your tile variation in the first 4 are good, but they are too empty and the trees placements in the first screen are way off. Also there is no sky, which ruins it completely. The best screen is the 2nd one.

Level 6
Lol i never used any sky far as i know its zieg old terrainers map, and dont forget all of this is playable which is why it aint the top quality and i aint new at this, i just havent terrained in a year or so.

~4rankie~

Last edited:
Level 6
Wow calm down I wasn't using it as an excuse im just making sure, The members know.

~4rankie~

Level 34
Solid start. Good use of grass doodads, but you need even more tile and better tile variation. Custom trees would be nice, and rocks. The small temple like area is decent. The one screen has a hallway that's way too straight, the pillars look plain and I find it boring. Keep working on it.

Level 25
I like the second to last and third to last pictures. The rest seem really messy and/or plain. Also, add a fog and a lot more trees. Maybe add a roll value to the tree doodads as well. But not too much of a roll value.
~Craka_J

Level 6
I hope you know those are suppose to be none climble mountains for this guys map lol, and i dont think trees grow in the canyon parts do they?

~4rankie~

Level 25
Canyon? As far as I know, canyons are in deserts or in really dry climate areas. This looks like a well vegetated area and if anything, that is not a canyon, but possibly a mountain pass. Though usually those are snowy. I recommend you get the Misc Data file and use it. It is very handy for making huge mountains, cliffs, etc.
~Craka_J

A canyon or gorge is a deep valley between cliffs often carved from the landscape by a river. Most canyons were formed by a process of long-time erosion from a plateau level. The cliffs form because harder rock strata that are resistant to erosion and weathering remain exposed on the valley walls. Canyons are much more common in arid areas than in wetter areas because weathering has a lesser effect in arid zones. Canyon walls are often formed of resistant sandstones or granite.

Level 34
Raging is right, canyons are usually in dry areas, but there are plenty in wet ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.