• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Unsolved] 4 Attributes in 1 Veterancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
When you have 4 attributes in 1 veterancy the last attribute goes a little below the screen because there's not enough room for it in the interface - it doesn't fit.

Is there a way to fix this? I've looked into Game UI Data but so far I can't find anything. I hoped to change the size, but ideally I would like to just change the distance between the displayed attribute titles. Since Blizz have made it possible to have more than 3 I imagine they've tried it out and settled for making it possible to adjust the interface to fit... Right? :S

e2KPHUN.jpg

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: While we're at Veterancy. Is there a guide to how you can use User Types to progress your attributes?

EDIT: Turns out there's something called UI in the editor! Well better get started on figuring out if i can use that.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Should be fixable with UI editor.

Generally attributes are considered obsolete in StarCraft II because you can replace them with pure statistic boosts. You can do everything Warcraft III did with attributes just with pure statistics. For example instead of gaining str, agi and int every level, you gain hp, hp regen, armor, attack speed, mana and mana regen.

As you said, the UI editor is probably the best place to start when trying to fix this problem. All you need to do is offset them a few units higher for all to fit on screen.

EDIT: While we're at Veterancy. Is there a guide to how you can use User Types to progress your attributes?
I do not understand what you are after. As far as I know User Types are only useful for triggers and act as a way of feeding them data without hard-coding the data.

Level 8
Thanks as always Dr. Super Good!

I do not understand what you are after. As far as I know User Types are only useful for triggers and act as a way of feeding them data without hard-coding the data.
I remember Renee (who mods starcraft into warcraft) were using User Types to progress hero attributes. Sadly I cannot acces her files on Bnet anymore to see it, they keep reporting errors when I try to apply the mods to a map (yes I did remember saving the map on my computer first :) I should probably look it up on SC2Mapster.

Anyway, before I say anything more it's probably a lot better if I just explain what I'm looking to make:
Heroes with attributes (4 in this case) that can interact with buffs/debuffs that temporarily increase/reduce attributes. In addition I'm also making abilities that scale according to the hero's attributes.
So far I actually made all of this possible with upgrades and triggers, even ability scaling because I use Unit Custom Value that basicly just goes hand in hand with the displayed attribute value of the hero... There are problems though, at least if I want this to be a system that's easy to work with. I made my own progression table with triggers because putting in the values for EVERY LEVEL is just silly when you look to have a map with lvl 100 heroes. And the problem with upgrades is that they are orientated around players and not specific units - yes, you can make them work only for specific units but that will again result in a lot of manual work by adding upgrades for each Hero-unit a player has. - which then adds even more work for the buffs/debuffs because they need to be able to modify and tell the difference between those as well.

I know it might seem incomprehensible with me explaining. But in conclusion; it actually works, and it can work this way, but it's a lot of management work which doesn't feel good.

I am very interested in knowing how to work with the UI editor. When I last looked at it I was instantly lost. BUT if I can actually replace the veterancy interface system and plug in my own values for attributes, it's going to be A LOT easier making a flexable attribute system. That's one of the differences I find in SC2 from War3. I cannot acces a hero's current amount of attributes with triggers. But as said, if I can just have my own numbers on display it's all good.

Generally attributes are considered obsolete in StarCraft II
I do feel you, and my problem is really just the display of it. If I can put in my own numbers in that interface I've reached my salvation lol

EDIT: The UI issue with 4 attributes has been solved. I got a neat script from SC2Mapster. http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/development/data/85855-fitting-4-attributes-in-1-veterancy/#p4

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I cannot acces a hero's current amount of attributes with triggers.
Yes you can access hero attribute amount with triggers.
  • str = (Stack count of Strength on ...) <Integer>
The amount of an attribute is equal to its stack count.

To test I gave a Marine 7 "Strength" attribute points. I then ran that action on it and it correctly returned 7. I repeated this with 27 and it also returned 27 as expected.

Level 8
Very much appreciated! This will make everything so much easier. I think you actually told me about the stack counter once? I guess I forgot :S
I'll start working on it today and see if I can make a complete system.

Btw, do you know if there's a way to actually change the amount of a hero's attributes with triggers? Are behavior stacks the same as behavior charges? So far I can do that with upgrades but like I said, it's a pain in the long run. I guess I could ask around if there's a custom script for it.

EDIT: At the moment I'm figuring my way around where I have converted all my attributes into hidden stackable Buffs - this actually works well with triggers and is easy to modify. Now I just need the numbers to display in the interface, I imagine that can be fixed with the UI editor or even dialogs.

EDIT2: I have made a dialog that displays the stack amount for each attribute (buff). The dialog is placed at the same location as normal attributes and the background is hidden (so only the numbers appear). Each player has it's own dialog to display numbers according to what unit they click. When a Hero-unit is selected alone the dialog items are immediately set to text with the behavior stack values. When it is unselected or a player selects more than one unit the text of the dialog items are set to nothing.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
EDIT2: I have made a dialog that displays the stack amount for each attribute (buff). The dialog is placed at the same location as normal attributes and the background is hidden (so only the numbers appear). Each player has it's own dialog to display numbers according to what unit they click. When a Hero-unit is selected alone the dialog items are immediately set to text with the behavior stack values. When it is unselected or a player selects more than one unit the text of the dialog items are set to nothing.
This is not a clean solution in multiplayer. There will be a delay between selecting the unit (done locally) and seeing the dialog (done synchronously).

Level 8
Thats too bad. Well, there is delay when I'm testing it alone too but it's only half a second.
Will the delay be even worse in multiplayer?

Level 8
Aight. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to test it out with my friends when my map is alpha ready. For now I'll keep this system till I come across something more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.