• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3D Studio Max - Import & Exporter for WC3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread discusses my 3D Studio Max script for importing and exporting Warcraft III Reforged models.

Any updates to the script can be found on my github page: Taylor Mouses Warcraft III Reforged Tools

Supports 3DS MAX 2016~2022

1642711893889.png

For using the script please refer to my documentation: Warcraft III Reforged Tools Documentation by TM.pdf

How to install the Warcraft III Reforged Tools
  • Download the GriffonStudios_Warcraft_3_Reforged_Tools.ms and the GriffonStudios_Warcraft_3_Reforged_Tools folder content.

• Place the folder and the .ms script in the startup scripts of 3D Studio Max

Example:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2016\scripts\Startup\
Once you copied the content start 3D Studio Max, start 3D Studio and a WC3 Reforged Tools menu will appear.

1642711986667.png

Useful "other" links:

Last edited:
Since there is still a lot to do for the exporter, as you can see my todo list: TODO LIST
I'm slowly working on it in my free time, but everytime I fix or do stuff, I release it soon after.

CUrrently working on CLID (Collision objects ), I think I found an error in my importer, that means I need to fix that and understand what I did wrong before I can come up with a decent export part

Level 1
Aprreciate for your amazing tool!!

But here I get a problem~
When I import a WC3 reforged .mdx model, but textures are missing....
I've tried the ways written in your documentation...it didn't work
What should I do?

1616769348074.png

Aprreciate for your amazing tool!!

But here I get a problem~
When I import a WC3 reforged .mdx model, but textures are missing....
I've tried the ways written in your documentation...it didn't work
What should I do?

View attachment 376261
Did you set the Assets folder in the settings? It points to the root where you extracted everything, so it knows where to look for the textures

Level 1
Hey Taylor, Thank you for this GREAT tool!
When using those models for cinematic rendering, I found it's better to edit using standard 3ds Max material or Vray material type. I'm just wondering if there's some ways to easily convert "WC3RefMaterial" to Standard Material(or Physical) in 3ds Max. I could manually choose different material type and re-plug the textures but that would take quite some time. It would be much more efficient if there's some options to choose the material type when importing.
Thanks again!:grin:

Level 1

Excuse me, does it support new model and bone export? When I use it to export self built models and bones, model deformation occurs​

After importing 'Warcraft 3 reconstructed' model, exporting 'mdx' is normal,but When I use the export function to export the model of "skyrim .nif" the model deformation occurs when I import it into the 'Warcraft 3 Reforget map editor'.

001.png

After importing the "Warcraft 3" model, delete the skin and leave the bones, and then import the skin with skin data in "NIF" format. Although it is much more normal, it still has defects

Infernal
_E]V{@`V7)79EHNOY[WWU{F.png

Although there will be some defects in exporting "Warcraft 3" model to NIF format and importing it into 'Max', the bones and models of "Warcraft 3" will be much more normal than those of 'skyrim'. When 'skyrim' model has only one bone weight, the imported map editor model will not pull and deform. If there is more than one bone weight, the model will pull and deform. These are the problems that I have encountered when using the export function. I don't know if my usage is wrong

Last edited:
Level 3
Hi guy!I found that your animation script is currently not compatible with the standard version of mdx animation, he has a bug.
2318_2.png

Level 1
Did you set the Assets folder in the settings? It points to the root where you extracted everything, so it knows where to look for the textures
hey, Taylor
please help.....

I did set Assets folder in setting.
1621173288032.png

1. since I try to reset bitmap, I find it knows where the texture is, but it want to read it.
1621173839561.png

1621174419821.png

2. During reseting all bitmap by myself, here I got another problem when I reset normal map....
"unknow error"
1621174110188.png

Also there's a problem to export. Textures are not found....
1621174918998.png

Attachments

• 1621173878930.png
    1621173878930.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 69
So I don't really have an answer for you, I can tell you that the normal map, the way it is save ( dds format ) is not understood by 3DS Max, so you need to do a little trick:
Save the normal map as a DXT1 map and select it in max

Then save it as a ATI2N map in another folder, so when importing in the WC3 editor, use this one iso the DXT1 file.
For saving your texture to an ATI2N texture read it in my description: TaylorMouse/MaxScripts

The exporter is still WIP and hard to finish for me ...

Level 1
Doesn't it work anymore? Both in Max 2019 and in 2020 the same error occurs when trying to import

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    137.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Captura2.PNG
    Captura2.PNG
    30.6 KB · Views: 58
Hi, this program is great. Quick question, regarding exporting. I have found that when exporting models with the tool the pivot rotation is off when opened in RMS and War3R. Specifically, when I am working in 3DS the perspective is correct. The model faces front. But when it is exported the model faces to the left. Animations are also exported facing left, which is a bit of an issue. Is there a setting that I need to change or something I can do to fix this? I tried rotating the model and bones in 3DS but it just exported everything facing left of that. And the animations were deformed.

Last edited:
Level 1
Hi TaylorMouse. When I tried to import model i had this error. Сould you help me please?
View attachment 385697
Go to the git hub page, and use commit cd3207d31f9bb3de0c238a905edeac11c4b812d8.
Link: GitHub - TaylorMouse/MaxScripts at cd3207d31f9bb3de0c238a905edeac11c4b812d8
Taylor mouse has broken Reforged support in adding support for mdx version 800, and has not repaired it yet.
When using this version, you need to apply a uvw unwarp modifier on the model (add uvw unwarp below skin, and collapse to uvw unwarp, so you do not need to rig it again), aftering editing. This is a workaround for issue #8 "Export crash when altering the editable mesh after skin is applied" raised by Taylor mouse himself.
By the way, the path to some textures like black32.dds and EnvironmentMap.dds are also not corrected automatically in this version (the update fixed these texture issues is just the update that broke the whole program), you need to change some texture path manually in Retera's Model Studio.

Last edited:
Level 1
I will be revisiting the import/export for reforged after I finished the one for mdx 800
As a suggestion, could you please fork a branch before removing or adding a function...?
The commit "Export stuff added" (3e786aa9bd5ded61774a92fcb48d6e29e016f384) has removed all Reforged related structs in file "GriffonStudios_Warcraft_3_Reforged_Main.ms", and all references to these structs are not changed, breaking the whole program.

Thanks for sharing the research PDF, it aggregates information that isn't easy to find for people with no experience with "professional" modeling.
Now I wanted to try your exporter for classic model, just to compare the output with neodex, but do I have to setup/config the scene or something? I tried to export a simple box mesh and I end up with an mdx file without any geoset, it exports animation correctly though

Status
Not open for further replies.