• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Getting players in the mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
hi there.

I've tried a lot of different war3 rpgs. most of the time the problem I run into is getting players into the roleplaying mood. That is to switch gears from warlord to hero.

A lot of the time players get annoyed with how long things take and end up leaving or else they never develop their character and dive right into killing things, companions, pets, friends.

Any thoughts on this?

How do you get a bored player to participate without causing too much disruption?

Level 6
Maybe you should play those RPG's with people you know, people who like to roleplay. And well, you can't force people to roleplay so..

Level 35
I thought about this thread and I have come to a conclusion.
RPG's are like books and the way to get someone to want to RP is to have a good story.

The way to get people to RP is to give them a story that they want to "see what happens next" and cant escape.

Level 6
Well, most of the RPG's are good enough to RP in. And the problem of RPmaps is that they are always the same.

Level 26
Well, most of the RPG's are good enough to RP in. And the problem of RPmaps is that they are always the same.
Perhaps it is not the RP maps that are always the same, but the behavior on it. It's always an unforgiving need for nothing but "warcraft lore" type of play, or at least something close. I love themes and such. Themes allow you to investigate your imagination beyond "I am a knight! I kill evil undead!". Some idiots don't like themes because they, in fact, think only people with no imagination need them, to which I reply "noob, what the fuck are you smoking?" Playing a wandering Arthas every game isn't uncreative but coming up with new and inventive themes is?
Anyhow, you'd be lucky to even FIND people willing to roleplay in an RPG, ironically. Unless, of course, you actually add the roleplaying part in the title that might ward off idiots (how to do that? My guess is as good as yours.) The only way to attract actual people willing to roleplay is, most of the time, with actual roleplaying maps. Even then, you are lucky to find people that actually have an imagination and can go one sentence without any grammar mistakes.

Level 26
Indeed it isn't. It's saddening how no one really joins an RP ready to actually RP. I actually had more fun playing starcraft RP maps, where people actually used their imagination. On sc, a marine could be an archer. Go on wc3, "that archer is a marine" "OMG NO ITS NOT ITS A ARCHER NUB". That's understandable, since these days, no one on wc3 can see anything unless it's with 52 flashy models that people just rush after. But now that i've been playing wc3 for so long, starcraft no longer seems enjoyable in its primitive state.. It's saddening, really.

Level 26
All the good roleplayers have left for WoW, and many other RPers and mapmakers also had to leave because of real life. And now, Starcraft II comes, and Warcraft III is torn to shreds forever.
Starcraft had koreans, so it was still famous after wc3 was out. Does wc3 have something that can still keep it alive after sc2 comes out? let's get the russians to like it or something...

Level 23
Warcraft IV the solution ^^, well I hate people who host Dota or Tower defence instead of Role playing.. wel not realy hate... those maps are just not realy... getting me in, I more like Role playing than normal playing...

Level 1
Man i love to RP but in theese times finding a mate is killing me last time i hosted RP map i waited 20 mins before i could start and 2 years ago 2 mins and GO where are all RPers ? findint a mate to RP is like finding 500$ before doors of your home ! 3/4 hosted games is DOTA or Footy Frenzy i din't had internet for 2 years and now i regret i have it back !

Level 9
All the good roleplayers have left for WoW, and many other RPers and mapmakers also had to leave because of real life. And now, Starcraft II comes, and Warcraft III is torn to shreds forever.

And now your so wrong, Probably the best rpers are still playing warcraft, on of them likes monthy python (your guess who) i dont see you much online but there is a certain group (were im in) that rps very often (and no nooby ones)

Level 9
yeah were kinda hidden, but still there.

Actually the community is growing slow but steady.

Kuzyn, its easy. Find a bucnh of active rpers (they are there) and add them to yor friendlist. if they are in a game, you can see it were they are :) and so you get way more rps

Level 34
Do you know what I think? We gotta combine all RP clans in one package! :eekani: So we dont get clansist (like seksist but with clans) or getting wrong ideas about our fellow RPclans. Like us (RPFL) for instance; Even though we are the biggest RPclan here doesn't mean we got no noobs in it. Like some old forgotten philosopher said: ''Everyone was a noob once.'' But really, if we got noobs here we just ''tame'' them and teach them proper RP you know (or just kick them o_O). And I wonder where our chief C-O-N-V-E-R-S-E went to. :confused: And another thing: There's always someone in a clan who's adminish like me. If you think Con away then I should be chief. :eek: Because I'm the only guy there who actually looks over the clan; the offliners list (my standard was: cross over 40 days and kick) and erh uh some other stuff you know. And wow I just spammed a whole speech here! :eek:

Oh and shall I just post a pic of a NE babe here to get attendion from them? :grin: (no nude off course)

Level 3
Well if wc4 came out all of the rp maps would probably have to be remade. And on another note, the only thing worse then joiners that can't rp are hosts that can't rp. People now adays have to use the model's name for some reason, for example I made a knight-type character using Arthas with Frostmourne, called him Vann, and everyone kept calling him Arthas.

Level 26
Well if wc4 came out all of the rp maps would probably have to be remade. And on another note, the only thing worse then joiners that can't rp are hosts that can't rp. People now adays have to use the model's name for some reason, for example I made a knight-type character using Arthas with Frostmourne, called him Vann, and everyone kept calling him Arthas.
Rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.