• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3.0.4 - What it Entails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
As you know, we here at Crimson Creations, like to push WC3 to its limits. Often that results in systems not working 100% accurately all the time, even though all the coding and logic seem correct. To fix this, we keep making minor adjustments, extra code, additional functions to try and patch the system's holes to work around WC3's limits. This results in the clean coded system turning into one messy rats nest.

How do we fix this? By removing these systems for a totally new system utilizing all we have learned to build something even better, stronger, faster.

So.... what does this mean to you guys? Well lets break it down:

Wc3's Buff system does not allow abilities that leave debuffs to share the same debuff slot, even if its 2 separate abilities that leave separate debuffs if the ability is based on the same base ability. This leads to debuff overwriting. Ability A overwrite's the tooltip/buff icon for Ability B. Even though the effect may still be active in some cases (Armor Break not stacking with some of the slow effects visually, but Armor Break still works for the full duration) it looks bad.

The solution: We are using Rising_Dusk's Buff system and redoing every ability in the game. They all now are based off Channel allowing all the spell art / effects / buffs and debuffs to be handled via vJass. Why this? Since Aura buffs/debuffs stack, we can use a system that uses these auras to place onto a unit for all the visuals related to spells and effects without ever overwriting anything. Combine this with a new projectile system for all bolts and additional effects and we get a very new dynamic ability system that becomes far superior in terms of openness for the heroes.

Other things that will happen down the road: Improved / Empowered effects will also alter visual effects of abilities as well as total visual remakes of abilities to improve the game's eye candy. Example: Fireball - hits the target and does the usual fireball death effect. Improved - now adds an explosion to the target upon hitting. Empowered - the basic fireball missile is now different / bigger / something more visual.

This buff system also makes it easier for me to deal with boss effects / tooltips of abilities so players can figure them out better. Stacking debuffs that increase bosses abilities or decrease your damage taken based on the number of stacks you have and several other things.

I am also introducing a new system for utilizing Line of Sight (LoS). While I do not plan on blocking heals / damage abilities from casting due to LoS (at this time at least). It will become an intertwined mechanic in boss fights where the boss will cast abilities of some sort (AE nova for example) And everybody in the room will die unless you hide out of line of sight from the boss. Or maybe the boss has an aura that ticks and applies a debuff every time increasing the damage you take from the aura and the only way to clear it is to run out of line of sight and wait for the debuff to wear off.

Next up - I have two major structs that I use for ALL enemy abilities: struct Abilities and struct AbilityEffects. Abilities contains all the core elements for every ability: Bolts, Direct Nukes, PBAoE nova's, healing, line damage, whatever you can think of. AbilityEffects adds bonus effects to these Abilities such as Splash damage, DoT's, Mana Burns, Stuns, etc.

My goal is to merge these two systems into one struct to simply the system and also clear up some issues we see that logically cannot happen (double dot effects from the centaur nets for example). At the same time I will be converting all these abilities to use the new buff system which will improve things even more.

Now that this long wall of text is finished.... lets get onto the important stuff, the new content!

New hero: Shadowblade
This hero is mostly RaiN's design and concept with feedback from myself and the alpha testers. So when you get to see this hero in action and read about his abilities / effects / playstyle... You can thank RaiN. He is a Melee Hybrid hero just like the CK is, mixes AP/SP to fuel his abilities. More details on this.

New Zones: Ancient Orc Tomb
This is a new massive dungeon that will contain 5 bosses. After you complete the Valley of Trials and defeat Naztar, you can then accept a new quest to use the Keystone at the entrance of the tomb to open the portal inside. Once you open the first room contains the first boss:

Kal'ik - The Scorpion King - I am not going to go into much detail about this fight for I do not want to give away any spoilers. He will have a Normal mode and a VX mode just like any other major boss. His VX mode will only be able to be activated before the boss reaches 95% HP. It should be pretty obvious on how to turn on VX mode once you see it.

After he dies, the barrier falls and you can enter the actual tomb. The first thing you will see there is an orc camp setup with a waypoint / shops / etc. Just like the outpost just outside of Tol'Calm in the barrens. The turn in for one of the quests will be here which will flag your hero for using this new waypoint. In a fresh game, you can now just teleport right to the tomb, but the barrier will be up so you cannot back track directly into Kal'ik's room. To fight him again you need to go clear the trials and Naztar, this is done to prevent boss/gear direct farming just like with any other boss.

Inside the tomb there are 2 paths for you to follow. Each path must be cleared before you can go down the center. You will find that the tomb has been taken over by vengeful spirits that are out to destroy the living. You must find the cause of this and correct it to put these orc spirits to rest and restore peace and order.

The left path is the Fire side - Fire represents Power, Strength, Might. This side is mostly physical damage / abilities and you will find most of the orc ancestors here.

The right path is the Frost side - Frost represents Magic, Intelligence, Wisdom. This side is mostly magical damage / abilities and you will find spirits, wraiths, and demons here.

At the end of each side is a Super Mini boss - These are actual boss fights but with no VX modes. They will pull / reset like bosses and have Enchanted items on their loot table, but wihtout a VX mode they will not drop epics.

Once both paths are clear you can go up the center which will contain 1 boss right away, then some more trash mobs and something special to do which leads to the final boss of the AOT - The Tauren Chieftain.

This fight will be a real challenge even on Normal Mode. You have the Chieftain + 4 of his best warriors: A Grunt warrior, A Mystical Shaman, A Witch Doctor, and a Troll Berserker. Once again, I will not go into the details of this fight, but all I will say is VX mode is going to require 2 tanks. Normal mode can be done with 1 tank but it will be hard, two will make it easier, but is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.