• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(24) Pillars of Corruption

Reactions: deepstrasz
JaTudGB.png

t59qccj.png

"Six opposing cabals of warlocks built their spires atop an ancient magic source on this island, using their demonic
powers to fight one another and corrupt the lands below as they saw fit.

Their downfall was inevitable. Your victory is not."

Pillars of Corruption is my attempt at creating a polished 24-player melee map with a unique layout.

Six large, high ground hexagons with a gold mine on each corner surround a central field filled with powerful creep camps.
Four players start on each hexagon and can choose to venture inward, where they risk encountering
players from other areas, but can be rewarded with better items, or they can expand outward into the forested
area and eventually launch sneak attacks by entering another hexagon from the back entrances.

Because of a circular design and many attacking paths to choose from, there are no "corner players" that can play with little risk of being attacked as is common in many other large-scale maps like Divide and Conquer.

RyXnLFk.png

The map contains:
54 Gold Mines (36 mines on the starting hexagons have 18K gold, 6 mines between hexagons with 20k, 6 outer forest circle mines have 15K, 6 inner circle bases have 22k)
6 Taverns
6 Goblin Laboratories
6 Mercenary Camps (Dalaran)
12 Goblin Merchants
1 Marketplace

66 Small creep camps
at least 46 Medium creep camps (70 if including the 24 main bases from empty player slots)
15 Large creep camps

AwdkIKP.png

Oyls2TL.png

4bV6m6k.png

2WHlSUo.png

raHrfMn.png

lyW8dqC.png

Trl3oji.png

okqs054.png

1FNTdcj.png

No custom imports have been used.

There is a second map included which uses Fixed Start Locations / FSL.

Version 1.1 (March 12 2018)
-Removed 4 small creep camps that were accidentally duplicated.
-Made the map area outside of the playable island smaller to reduce loading times and improve
minimap readability.
-Made some small terrain changes.

Version 1.2 (March 16 2018)
-Removed two excess creeps from a creep camp in the top right.
Version 1.3
-Since the latest PTR version increased the creep limit, the triggers that place neutral creeps at the start of the game are no longer needed and have been removed.
-Fixed aggro radius of a few gold mine creep camps.

Version 1.4 (April 02 2018)
-Fixed several starting locations which sometimes caused Night Elf players to start without a properly
entangled Gold Mine.
-Added a Random Hero Version.
Contents

(24) Pillars of Corruption (Map)

(24) Pillars of Corruption FSL (Map)

(24)Pillars of Corruption RandomHero (Map)

Reviews
mafe
After looking at the map again, I think it is a good one. I couldnt look at it in too much detail as somehow my editor crashed after some time when opening the map, but I suppose my computer is to blame here. The spawns look balanced to me. One ofter...
deepstrasz
Approved based on @mafe's comments. Looks a bit plain but space is obviously needed for so many units at one time fighting each other.
Level 7
Version 1.1 (March 12 2018)
-Removed 4 small creep camps that were accidentally duplicated.
-Made the map area outside of the playable island smaller to reduce loading times and improve
minimap readability.
-Made some small terrain changes.

If you have any notable replays, please share them with me by PM!

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
After looking at the map again, I think it is a good one. I couldnt look at it in too much detail as somehow my editor crashed after some time when opening the map, but I suppose my computer is to blame here. The spawns look balanced to me. One ofter the outer goldmines at 1-2 oclock has 2 extra creeps. The items are not streamlined yet, for example a creep with a total level of 10 drops 2 lvl 2 items which is too much. Can look at it in more detail again if you want me to, but for now I think it is a very solid 24 player map.

Level 7
After looking at the map again, I think it is a good one. I couldnt look at it in too much detail as somehow my editor crashed after some time when opening the map, but I suppose my computer is to blame here. The spawns look balanced to me. One ofter the outer goldmines at 1-2 oclock has 2 extra creeps. The items are not streamlined yet, for example a creep with a total level of 10 drops 2 lvl 2 items which is too much. Can look at it in more detail again if you want me to, but for now I think it is a very solid 24 player map.

I have the same issues with the editor crashing regularly on large maps like these. It's got something to do with my drivers, but I'm not sure exactly what. It makes map editing a pain and is the reason I do terraining at the very last point only, since that's what causes most my issues.

Anyway, your comment about the level 10 creep camps; Are you referring to those at the gold mines? It's easy to overlook, but those are actually ones where I used a trigger to spawn more neutral creeps at game start to bypass the limit. In reality, those creep camps are level 14.

In any case, I've removed the two excess creeps from the 1-2 oclock part you mentioned. That one was a mistake on my part.

Thanks for the reviews!

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I have the same issues with the editor crashing regularly on large maps like these. It's got something to do with my drivers, but I'm not sure exactly what. It makes map editing a pain and is the reason I do terraining at the very last point only, since that's what causes most my issues.

Anyway, your comment about the level 10 creep camps; Are you referring to those at the gold mines? It's easy to overlook, but those are actually ones where I used a trigger to spawn more neutral creeps at game start to bypass the limit. In reality, those creep camps are level 14.

In any case, I've removed the two excess creeps from the 1-2 oclock part you mentioned. That one was a mistake on my part.

Thanks for the reviews!
Oops I totally missed the trigger part. Should be fine then

Level 4
It's a workable 24p map, at least for doing AI stuff. Probably not as good as Madness in the Barrens for actual 24 human player matches. The edges end up being an awkwardly large section of the map, but that design does make it distinct. Psychologically I think this openness will induce a feeling of vulnerability for most players. Overall the map feels substantially sparse in the current iteration. But I'm keeping this map in my repertoire since there still aren't that many decent 24p maps. I gave 3.5 stars, rounding up to 4.

Level 1
Computer player doesn't choose hero in alter. So I can't do single play. Do you know solution??