• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJASS] Charm and Fear Spellpack 1.00

This spellpack contains 5 and a half spells, they are all realeted with temporary changing ownership of a unit without using unit custom values.

the spellpack contains: Fear, Charm, Berserk, Confusion, Turn Undead and Mass Confusion (i did that just for the fun to see a bunch of units fighting each other).

Spells are easily customizable and it's possibile to make similar spells with the same ease (actually the code of these spells are very similar).

It uses Vexorian's Handle Timers Function and Captain Griffen's Attach Timer Function.

IT USES vJASS SYNTAX, SO IT REQUIRES JASS NEW GEN PACK TO BE MODIFIED

Since this is one of my first spells i've surely messed something up, so any comment is very appreciated.

Final Release (hopefully)
Removed some leaks i missed when i made the map (shame on me)

Fixed Some Bugs (thanks to Deuterium for the tips)

First Release

Keywords:
fear, charm, charme, enchantress, vJASS, berserk, rage, player, change, change player, player changer, owner, change owner, Confusion, Undeads, turn u
Contents

Charge Spell (Map)

Reviews
18:36, 21st Sep 2009 The_Reborn_Devil: Triggering looks nice and it's well documented. Leaks are also fixed now. Spells approved. I give these spells the rating useful.

M

18:36, 21st Sep 2009
The_Reborn_Devil:

Triggering looks nice and it's well documented. Leaks are also fixed now.

Spells approved.
I give these spells the rating useful.

Level 17
Deut's Brief Spell Review:

[-]

1. Although your library PlayerChanger uses the HandleTimers library, you didn't use the requires keyword in PlayerChanger.

Thus,
JASS:
library PlayerChanger initializer Init

Should be,
JASS:
library PlayerChanger initializer Init requires HandleTimers
(I'm not sure if intializer comes before requires or vice versa)

[+]

2. Bugless and scripting is well done

3. MUI

4. Leakless

5. Adjustable and user friendly

6. Documented

7. Some nice ideas

[*]

8. No big issue really, that's why it's not mentioned in the negative part, but you could replace this:
JASS:
call PlaySound( "Sound\\Interface\\Error.wav" )

With:
JASS:
    local sound s = CreateSound("Sound\\Interface\\Error.wav", false, false, true, 12700, 12700, "")
    call StartSound(s)
    call KillSoundWhenDone(s)
    set s = null

[*]

This is a well-done spell pack. I might not be a fan of the ideas myself, yet I won't deny the fact that they're nice and could be useful.
I'd advice people to use such spells.

Well, I liked most of the spells, except Turn Undead for it's a complicated one (well not complicated to use, but seems as if you've got 3 spells in one).

I skimmed through the trigger, and it seemed all fine - yet I might have missed some stuff as I only "skimmed".

Great job Majin!

Last edited:
Level 7
I surely missed the "requires" and been lucky that the compiler (interpreter or whatev) put the code of the Handletimers library before the PlayerChanger library, i will fix that now :) i know i often forget to put requires but usually i get some warning, this time the error made his way till here unnoticed :p

Turn Undead is taken from a Role Playing Game called D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) so i took the idea from that (modified with some personal flavour and adapted to Warcraft mechanics).
In D&D Turn Undead depends on the level difference between the undead and the caster, they get feared or killed (if you are a good caster), Frightened (cowering in fear) or "mind-controlled" (if you are an evil caster), and that's how the idea came out

Thanks for your review :) Fixing that requires now

Level 7
Or you can have great coding and put some effects just as example then let the final user choose his eye-candy special effects ;)

Also those aren't the kind of spells that would require a lot of special effects, don't you think so?

Last edited:
Level 7
Yeah, surely eye-candy attracts users, but i'm not the kind of person that would put too many effects on a spell (I like simplicity)...Altough, should i ever make some "epic" spell, i'll spend much more time on the effects :)

By the Way, i've fixed both the requires on the library and the PlaySound function :)

Level 2
Export spell etc

@majin

"It also can't be imported into different maps, which is the technical purpose of it's existence.

sorry what?"
-

the spell

I want to know it too. I've downloaded "jassnewgenpack5d" (right?) but I can't do it the same... I mean saving/import/export etc

HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Level 7
@majin

"It also can't be imported into different maps, which is the technical purpose of it's existence.

sorry what?"
-

the spell

I want to know it too. I've downloaded "jassnewgenpack5d" (right?) but I can't do it the same... I mean saving/import/export etc

i had understood he was talking about the spell, but i don't see the meaning...if you are using Newgen and follow the instructions in each spell you should be able to easily import it.
What kind of problem are you having with the spell?

Fud

Fud

Level 3
@majin

sorry what?"
-

the spell

unless im misunderstanding your problem you dont know how to copy and past spells from one map to another... Ive never had to export spells...

Turn Undead doesn't grant kill bounty and doesn't work on units affected by any of the other spells.

Level 7
Are you receiving any specific error?
As I said via DM, you need something that can parse vJASS, sadly I've been out of the warcraft 3 modding scene for too long, I know that nowadays there's no Jass New Gen Pack but I don't know what is being used instead. I think I heard that the latest editor supports vJASS by default but i'm not 100% sure.

For more specific instructions you can check the comments at the beginning of each trigger, you need to copy or re-create some of the spells in your map and then put the ids in the variables of the spells.

I'm not sure how many people will see a message here besides me, you can try your luck by posting directly on the forum and linking this spell there :)