• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tree of Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people, I'd like to show you a terrain that I was doing for some time now. It was hard work but it turned out good I think. ^^
Ps: Based on Atlantica wallpaper ( I've added my imagination also to the terrain )
Enjoy.

Attachments

• Fairy Tale.JPG
    Fairy Tale.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 606
Level 36
Have to disagree with Belg on that one, personally I think this one looks like probably the best terrain you've done Oziris. Good work.

The only thing I dislike is the yellow statue, its a horrible model from the start of and doesn't fit into your terrain.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
That's one epic looking piece of work you've got there. The background is so... substantial and rich.
I really love the color blend.
Hard to think of anything major to point out, due to this being near perfection. I'll point out some minor things I would've done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, you could use the UTM rowboat model instead of the standard from the editor.
Secondly, you could place some eerie fog at the base of the waterfall located left from the bridge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know why, but for some reason I could easily picture this as a base in a Heroes expansion...
This deserves so much credit.

Level 11
the terrain looks awesome,i really like those mountains,they give you that feeling that you are high up between the mountains
the colors blend very well

what you could change are probably those trees,im sure u could find a better model to fit the terrain

another thing is that model you used as grass,its not that its misplaced or something else...its the texture that botters me,try using the vine ivy2 from the utm and see if it fits,imo it has a better texture

the structure in the middle the one with the tree lacks somethin...but i dont know what...

one bold thing u could do is add reflection instead of that water model that will make the terrain look even more epic...but itl be very hard

aand one last thing...its not very important,the rock closest to the camera on the left looks stretched,it doesnt stand out much..but u could ad a little rock in front and that will do the job

Last edited:
I find it amazing. Some notes, I disliked the water. It needs some tones (add a layer of a darker tone underneath the current one), because it looks kinda dull. What is more, you should add more steam to the waterfalls. Replace the human on the bridge (with an elf), that's definitely not a place for humans to step in. Add some falling leaves or wisps around the main tree (of Eternity), to provide this mystical effect in the scenery. Pick another statue for the right side, since it represents humans and it is golden (such a scenery would mostly fit with a rusty one).

Good job :infl_thumbs_up:

Nice feedback people! Thanks for the comments. I'll see what I can do. But I'll update it for sure.

fladdermasken, I never tried making reflection in water, I had a problem, the outland tile didn't want to show for some reason. I replaced it with some ashvale leaf tile. Maybe that was the problem, I don't know exactly. I would certainly love to try and make it if I only knew whats the problem with the tile. >.>

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
fladdermasken, I never tried making reflection in water, I had a problem, the outland tile didn't want to show for some reason. I replaced it with some ashvale leaf tile. Maybe that was the problem, I don't know exactly. I would certainly love to try and make it if I only knew whats the problem with the tile. >.>
In my tutorial I used this one: TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_DirtRough.blp
Try using a path connected to your base tileset. In other words if you use ashenvale as the base, replace one of the ashenvale tiles. If you use cityspace, replace one of the cityscape tiles etc.
Works for me most of the time.

Ignore this piece of ...... I love the terrain like keiji sayed its prolly one of your best terrains.

i really wish you would stop spouting crap everywhere you went
my memory on terrains is pretty good and goes back a much longer way than yours, and to be quite honest, i'm certain i've seen something like it before. now that does not mean in any shape or form that i think the actual terrain is bad, it's a great terrain, i was simply pointing out an oddity for myself.

Level 12
Firstly, I'd like to say that I absolutely love this. The foreground is decent, and the background is magnificent.

However, I will point out a few things:
Firstly, like Pharaoh_ said, the water needs more depth. However, I think that the best thing to do here would be to just use the waterfall model for the water itself, like in
raid1000's Waterfall Castle. Secondly, I think that the lighting and atmosphere in the background is awesome, however, in the foreground, I think you could use some more depth. I find the best way to do this is to simply place a large glow/sunflare model right in front of the camera. It will do wonders for almost any terrain. Thirdly, the light in the windows of the building does not look quite realistic enough. I assume you are using glows placed behind the windows. In my experience it is best to also place some glows in front of the windows. This makes the lighting look like it is coming out of the building, rather than just sopping at the windows. Fourthly, some of the textures on the rocks in the foreground are seriously stretched. I would recommend replacing some of them with several smaller rocks. Fifthly, I don't really think the adobe building on the left fits in very well. Perhaps you could simply try using the other adobe model? Finally, while I like how you created the "grass" I find that it is a bit flat in some areas, particularly on the right, and could either use some height variation, or a few more trees to just cover it up. Furthermore, I don't like how it sticks over the edges of the cliffs, but I can't think of an immediate solution for that other than just making it smaller and/or covering it up.

In all, this is an awesome terrain, and I hope to see more stuff like this from you.

Nice idea!

But I don't like few things:

1st - Water look bad (try to use basic Water doodad from UTM 3.0)
2nd - You created human there but I can't see: birds, animals in one word
3th - Bridge or whatever can have smaller tile doodads (to lower brick size :D)
4th - Maybe a little more environment details like flowers for example
5th - Some large rocks look bad in water :(
6th - Because you used that yellow lights, why not to create some more Special Effect like doodads (Examples: Faerie Fire Buff, Wisp Model and so on)?
7th - That building (mid left) is damaged, why not to do same with bridge?

Mountains still look amazing!

Bah, you really dislike it don't you Kobas :D
1st- Well, I personally love the updated water.
2nd- Hmmm, birds birds, how could i forget to add some flying pigeons!
3th- Well I tried to do that but it seems that when i lower the size of the doodad it doesn't show because it's too close to the camera!
4th- So lazy to raise flowers :( I'll see.
5th- Some large rocks? I can't see large rocks in the water :O
6th- Even if i did so, where would i place em? around the tree? :p
7th -Hm, well, the bridge shouldn't be damaged, it is the city of elf's after all.

Last edited:
Level 14
The lighter toned rocks look better for the foreground, but out in the distance, mainly on the mountains, it just looks weird and terribly odd. So in my opinion, you should make two maybe even three separate tintings for the rocks, and although pain staking as it may be, try and tint all the background rocks to the darker tint, while the ones in the foreground should be the lighter tone.

As for the water, I'd say it needs more life, as in cattails in the bushes, tinted a bit more red then usual, and add some lily pads, preferably lordearon lily pads. I say you should add flowers, but not any special effects, because if you add to much "Detail" it becomes messy and cluttered. Keep it simple and still decorated.

I actually had the Atlantica wallpaper as my background for the longest time, and thought of doing one myself. But now I can just add your terrain to my desktop instead :p Good job.

I just remember this cool UTM this guy made, with some World Tree root models, if you're interesting in making some more customized roots for the tree, or putting them elsewhere. Unless of course you're already using this. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...rch=Ultimate%20terraing%20map%202&d=list&r=20

Level 13
I am shocked I haven't seen this further this is really Oziris best work that is for sure but one thing I hate are the orc doodads the ones being on the right in the mountain and the one on the left being the house but besides that this is really a nice terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.