• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Christmas Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Christmas is drawing near, i think i'll make something for christmas
and here it is. Don't mock me if it's bad, i'm still practicing my terraining skill you know :3

attachment.php

Attachments

• Christmas Eve.jpg
    Christmas Eve.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Christmas Eve2.jpg
    Christmas Eve2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Level 36
Fuck, and here I was innocently hoping we'd actually get a christmas without someone posting a christmas terrain... :p

No, but really, there's a lot to pick at here; elevation, lighting, uniformity, EOTW and doodad choices. But let's kick off with removing that ugly little green circle, eh?
That can easily be done by making another camera outside the view-field of the current camera and then simply select that one before you make the screenshot.

Level 30
Is it just me but you double upload the same image at your first post?

Anyways, I really like the terrainers here no matter if they are just starting yet because they are learning fast and you are a good example of it. Seeing from your last terrain, it has some flaws but this one, it still has though much better than your first one. So here is my comment about your terrain:

Honestly, it looks good to me. You've picked a good view to take a screenshot though I would suggest a better tile for the path used in town. The one you used does not seem to fit and out of place and also, you could improve the appearance of sky by either putting up a Moon in it and also some clouds in the skies. You can see some cloud doodads at the UTM and for the Moon, you could try Stryderzero because as far as I know he has one or any terrainer here.

You could have also put some Glow models into the Christmas Tree maybe to give emphasis into it most likely at the tip of the Christmas Tree, the star.

Overall, you are definitely improving and hoping to see more terrains from you! Reps.

Level 36
Alright, great.

Now, next on my agenda, would be the background and fog. Firstly I'd want you to go to Scenario > Modify Map Size and Camera Bounds, tick the "Modify Map Bounds" in the bottom left corner and then double the size of the map, or something similar. Then go to Scenario > Options and find the box in the middle of the window called "Use Terrain Fog."
Enable that and set the "Z Start" value to 0, then fool around with the "Z End" value between 2000-8000 to see the effect it'll have on your terrain.

After that, or even before that, you can click the "Set Color" button, where you'll be able to change the color of the fog, you can even customize the fog completely by choosing "Custom" at the top and then manually fool around with the RGB values.

That all done, I'd want you to use the added size of the map to add "mountains" to the horizon, so go to the edge of your map and use the raise tool to make your mountains, you can also for better effect have several "layers" of mountains, meaning you put some mountains closer to the camera and some further away. By doing that, and using the "Z End" value of the fog settings proper you can actually make a soothing "fade" effect with the mountains and horizon. Oh, and, lastly, for any of the background to have any effect, you'll have to push back the cloudbox, this is done by holding down CTRL while scrolling with your mouse-wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.