• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More contests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I'd like to propose that there be more contests, more frequently. If there is a theme I don't like for a Zephyr contest, it'll be at least 6 months before a new Zephyr contest with a new theme comes out.

There are a few solutions

Make the theme be two different things. Like it could be an undead spell or a fire spell. Whatever, it just makes it so its a little more bareable and theres more diversity.

Host faster paced, shorter contests. We havent had a S&SMC on a while, we should really start doing those more. They're fun, fast, and friendly. I speak for myself in that I don't contribute as many resources as I can, but everything made for S&SMC are approval ready. It's altogether a win-win, happier community, more submissions, more fun.

I'd also like there to be regular length mapping contests. While minimapping contests are fun, they don't give enough time to fully develop or explore an idea. Optionally paired full length mapping contests are a thing that should be revive.

A big reason for the holdups and delays in contests are the ineptitude of the judges and general fumblings of the contestants. A great example would be Mini-mapping contest #7. Extensions were given when they shouldnt've been. A judge literally just didn't submit his scores. The other judge left off a person and had to delay it even further. There were entries submitted onto the poll that were works in progress. It was just generally handled badly. Making sure there is an appropriate host and appropriate judges would vastly improve the quality of the contests.

I would be willing to host contests if I'm qualified. Or I could probably get someone who is qualified to host them. Contests are a super fun thing that's been rather neglected recently. Let's bring them back!

EDIT: Also a big thing is making sure the contests hit the announcement. I was late to a contest because I didn't even know it was happening :p

I'd also like there to be regular length mapping contests. While minimapping contests are fun, they don't give enough time to fully develop or explore an idea. Optionally paired full length mapping contests are a thing that should be revive.

We kinda stopped doing them because they took too long, not many people were interested, and barely anyone ever finished on time. Not to mention they were a huge pain to judge.

I vm'd him with a link to this thread. I'm guessing he read it and just ignored it.

Or just logged in after 2 days.

I don't think any of the contests are excluded from the Arena, it's just that most contestants lose interest over time. I shorten the duration of the contest, people need more time. I increase the duration, people lose motivation. The Arena has its up's and down's. Hosting contests all the time is like forcing the community (what's left anyway) to be creative. If we ignore that, more and more low quality entries will emerge and I'm not a fan of those -nobody is, really-.

I also didn't refrain anyone from posting in the Contest Submission forum. Post your ideas, see if people embrace it and I'll approve of it. However, watch out for the contest type; for instance, Voice-Acting and Cinematic contests are no longer that famous, first because it requires certain equipment, while the second require patience, loads of work and an unexplained perfectionism that tends to overlap with the actual motivation to finish one's entry.

I am intrigued, however, by your double-theme idea, as it is something refreshing and frankly, quite ambitious. What would a contestant do though, if they were interested in both themes and what if they actually combined them? Would that be allowed?

Level 16
Or just logged in after 2 days.

I don't think any of the contests are excluded from the Arena, it's just that most contestants lose interest over time. I shorten the duration of the contest, people need more time. I increase the duration, people lose motivation. The Arena has its up's and down's. Hosting contests all the time is like forcing the community (what's left anyway) to be creative. If we ignore that, more and more low quality entries will emerge and I'm not a fan of those -nobody is, really-.

I also didn't refrain anyone from posting in the Contest Submission forum. Post your ideas, see if people embrace it and I'll approve of it. However, watch out for the contest type; for instance, Voice-Acting and Cinematic contests are no longer that famous, first because it requires certain equipment, while the second require patience, loads of work and an unexplained perfectionism that tends to overlap with the actual motivation to finish one's entry.

I am intrigued, however, by your double-theme idea, as it is something refreshing and frankly, quite ambitious. What would a contestant do though, if they were interested in both themes and what if they actually combined them? Would that be allowed?

Sure I'd be totally fine with that. But whatever the theme is they should be combinable incase someone does decide to cater to both. Of course contestants wouldn't lose points if they didn't do both, but it just adds more variety to the arena. If we use Zephyr Contest #9 as an example, a poison theme could go along with the assassin theme.

Level 33
If let's say Undead and Fire spell, how would the judge evaluate from it ?
Based on perfection/suits on each given theme and/or combined those 2 spells but both of them must meet the criteria for Undead and Fire type spells ?

The idea itself is amazing but it will create more diversity to the judge (harder to compare and evaluate points for each different spell that contestant submit (1 submit Undead, 1 submit Fire, 1 submit Undead + Fire), well as long as we got voluntary judge that's fine, but what if one day people stop judging on the spell (or any other contest type) just because the theme is going crazy each time ?

I'm not saying this idea is bad, I'm just thinking about judges, if they say ok, we'll say ok too :)

Although I do support we must make more contest in a given month or so, like twice a month (1 contest deadline is 2 weeks, I think 2 weeks is somehow a perfect duration to create something cool for that period of time in Warcraft III modding).

Those who said "awww jeez, the contest is too short, I can't make it cuz I'm on holiday for 3 weeks shoop-da-whoop!", well they can join the next contest, he won't miss a thing because contest always going on (twice a month or so).

But once again, we've come into corners, where all decision is at the judges, if they can't participate, how can we ?

Status
Not open for further replies.