• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New contests and spicing them up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Greetings,

It's been a while since last I've seen a spell contest. I'm not talking about a Zephyr contest, something more fun and creative.

I checked that there were copying ability contests where you would copy a spell from another game and implement it into warcraft 3 in the most creative and efficient way possible. It would be great if that was organized once more.

Though I don't want it repeated, I just gave an example of how exciting contests can be, we could have lots of different creative themes (not just "Select a theme: Fire, Wind, Earth, Water") and create a poll to see which theme will get the most votes (as usual).

These contests would be rather short, maximum of 10-12 days to make an ability.

Suggestions:
Restricting a mechanic: The contestant can't use a loop or a repeated timer in the spell, meaning that it would have to take effect instantly. SPICE - it's unimaginably hard to make an efficient, hive-worthy, creative spell without using a loop or a timer. The spell, of course, could have multiple triggers. The idea is that you can't use a certain coding mechanic, it does not have to be necessarily be involved with restricting loops/timers.
Restricting damage: The contestant can't use a function which damages the affected units. Life removal is off the charts as well. SPICE - damaging is without a doubt, the most often used function in spell making, restricting that and making a spell that's useful is quite a challenge
Non-fantasy: The spell would have to obey the laws of physics, laws of nature, basically it would be an ability which COULD happen in real life. SPICE - after seeing the entries, maybe some people will actually try doing those spells for lulz x)

Of course, I'm just brainstorming ideas, I would much rather listen to your suggestions, than ranting about what kind of contest this should be.
And for once, maybe someone other than TC would win this:D

Regards,
The Muffin Man.

Level 37
And for once, maybe someone other than TC would win this:D

For the record, Tank-Commander has only won Zephyr contests, a contest where coding plays a big part on the final score :p a contest where creativty has a bigger influence would give everyone a better chance. Now I'm not saying that Tank isn't creative (have you seen his spell ideas? they're amazing!), but it might give incentive for people to go up against a titan. However, that is also where a problem lies. You should be joining a contest to improve yourself, not to win. Serious notes aside, I do like the idea of being able to see the less experienced users of the community come up with something for themselves and not worry too much about how "efficient" their trigger/code is (all though this still should play a big part on the score, just slighty less than aesthetics).

Level 11
Yeah, TC is a person I really admire, it just wanted to make the post look less serious:D

You should be joining a contest to improve yourself, not to win.
But if you win, that is legit proof that you have indeed, improved yourself.

Also I never even meant that this contest would be more newbie-friendly, but once you pointed that out, I realised that it will be :p

and not worry too much about how "efficient" their trigger/code is
Exactly what I meant by the post, it will be more about creativity and less about making the code leakless and efficient. It just puts less stress and more excitement on the users. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.