• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Oblivion style rpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Alright I thought i'de try my hand at another rpg map. I started one long ago but was newb and would have to redo alot of the terrain.

(Screen below is not final, just messing with terrain. Units will be scaled down)

So basically i'll just write down what I have on notepad.

Combat system
First off for your main attributes (str,agi,int) They will be increased by 1 after using a skill 100 times that would be related to that attribute.
Example of this would be: Healing for +1int, 3second delayx100=300seconds=5minutes of constant healing without running out of mana. Sounds like alot but it really isnt.

All offensive skills like fireball, lightning, etc will be collision based off of a dummy unit.

Light Phsyical attack will be the same as offensive skills, rangers will launch a arrow in a direction and a melee will hit an ability to attack in front of them only.

Heavy phsyical attack is the same as light cept the ability will take 2 seconds to channel instead of almost instant.

Jump-Will allow your hero to jump a short distance ahead of them. Will fix this to keep units out of certain area's.

Defend will be tricky if possible. Would have to check facing of attacking and defending unit and if defend is up. Defend would last either 1second and have 1second cooldown or would have no cooldown and you could spam defend. Probably would take dmg during defend but just a fraction.

Character
For now it will be the basic peasant. Later i will model a better, plain peasant, so armor attachments will show up better. Would make more attachment points on the custom model for custom modelled armor.

Will have hair attachments to the face and head for customization, just like placing a helm onto the character. I would create the beard on the model in the program to make sure they fit ingame and would export seperately.

All the basic animations stand,walk,defend,attack,spell,death and maybe a speech animation so when you type first person or close up 3rd person view to another player your mouth will appear to speak the words for afew seconds. Just to give a more indepth feel.

Custom Models
Just the basic stuff for now

Grass,shrubs,bushes,cattails,tree's,rocks,sun,moon,flowers,plants,clouds,etc.

Would be nice to have mounted units, it would be simple to put in since basically all units would be the same, so only needing 1 mounted unit. Item transfer and attachment transform would be an issue but shouldn't be a problem. Could make do without a beard showing while mounted.

Hopefully with some simple but well coordinated animations.
Ex: Instead of grass moving back and forth, create 3bones on the grass.
A light breeze moves the tips back and forth, a moderate breeze moves the top 2 bones back and forth, and a gale wind moves all 3, starting at the top and moving towards the bottom for a nice wavy look. Idk what the file size will be but ill find out.

Custom weather maybe but idk. If i do i could make use to vegations 2 or 3 stand animations. Storm could maybe make all plants do animation 3 or 2 which would be the very wavy animation which would be very nice to have grass appear to be whipped around more by a random generated storm in a region.

Thats about it for now. I could do a story-line related to oblivion. I think ill go half-way and spin off in my own made story. Just to keep the main story to the real game.

(quick screen of my peasant, ill fix the breastplate tommorrow, tricky little thing.)
*I know that the imperial tower at the bottom is mostly dome shaped but i felt like adding pillars in. Ill just remove them later and make it dome shaped and use the pillars for some other structure.*
(added a subsurfed pic for kicks)

-update- I just gave it a concrete texture, no real details on it jus to see it ingame.
Not sure why it shows up horribly ingame but in the wc3 viewer it shows fine for the 2 newest pics
Found the skinning problem, ill tend to it later.

Attachments

• Oblivion.jpg
    Oblivion.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 348
  • chestplate.jpg
    chestplate.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Imperial Tower2.jpg
    Imperial Tower2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 361
  • ImperialTower.jpg
    ImperialTower.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 277
  • ImperialTowerSubbed.jpg
    ImperialTowerSubbed.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 276
  • ss0000.jpg
    ss0000.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 188
  • ob pic 2jpeg.jpg
    ob pic 2jpeg.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Level 7
(*edit* Meh, maybe it wont work using my scaling strategy. i cant make the terrain look good no matter the resolution of the terrain .blp close up, maybe ill just have to settle with my own terrain and just have the system in.)

(Screen below is not final, just messing with terrain. Units will be scaled down)
im not going to have units scaled to 1.00, im going to experiment with every model scaled down to .25 or lower and see how everything fits.

Im sure even then it still wont fit, so i'll increase the playable area boundry to the furthest possible. I think then with .25 scaled units, maybe .1 with a closer camera it might work. Only problem with smaller units and closer camera is the texture of the ground becoming so close up. Ill probably solve this with custom tilesets though.

Im wondering if i should try and make a system that looks fine and can play on b.net without to much lag or just go single player and make it all high-res doodads. Ill post some screens later tonight when i start modeling the imperial city.

Last edited:
Level 25
here is some stuff i made few months ago i'm not a terrainer my cousin done it and it looks terrible:hohum: that are ingame doodads.... later will be add original one ;) :hohum: i hope...
so far i made half story of the Main quest as in real game..........................

your map looks very very small to be playable like in Oblivion...
the big problem is scaling... you have already discovered it :p

:grin: we have the same ideas :p

Attachments

• ob.jpg
    ob.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Level 7
duplicate

*edit* I think it would be better if I just custom modelled male,female plain characters. That way in the model editor, i can fit armor to the character in the program and export it to the game so it fits right away. Current way was moving a bit, going in game,checkin position, going back out and moving the breastplate. Hes going to be a bulky peasant lol.

Wow dang. Thats exactly what i was aiming for scrab. Since you'v already started it i think ill leave that project to you and work on smaller things like getting fully attachable armor through equipable items and city models.

So, whats the things you've had trouble with? Is it just the scaling issue? if it was, it would be nice to figure a way to get around it. I was so sure with maybe editing the tileset to looked zoomed out but with close camera and small units it would just like normal terrain at normal camera distance?

Level 25
nope dude i won't finish this map. <_< its too big for me... i'm only modeler...
I'm too much busy with other thinks now:hohum: the map making isn't for me :p

I hope for you to finish the map soon :wthumbsup:
also you can import the sounds form the game:grin: it looks nice in warcraft
but oblivion is oblivion :wink:

Level 15
Awesome! Oblivion owns! Only problem is that fitting the entire province of Cyrodiil in a 256×256 map size and it would probably have to be single player because the file size for something like that will almost definitely go over the lousy 4mb limit on bnet. Also, it would be awesome to make an rpg for all of the elder scroll games, that would be amazing.

Level 31
Unless you made a quick patch for the map using JassNewGen to allow Custom MPQ files to be loaded into wc3 and WE when it starts up.

This will allow you unlimited imports and unlimited code. The only thing that will take up actual space is the terrain

Then if you increased the map size to 480x480, I think this would be fully possible : )

The only thing that would be large would be the save/load codes.

The best compression system besides mine is 49% atm. Mine is 75-80%. I imagine if you really worked at it, you could get 85% compression ^_^.

Good luck man! This is all fully possible online if you know how to do it : D.

You are also following my ideas for a combat system.

Dude, wait for me to release MOP before you start on the systems. Trust me, it'll make your life A LOT easier : D.

MOP uses multi-threading and allows for multi instancing. You have objects, properties, conditions, and classifications. You can load them into each other. You also have grids and cells within the grids. Classifications tell objects how to treat properties. Properties store data, can be loaded into other properties, and can be loaded into other objects. Conditions are what is needed for whatever to be loaded. These can be put into anything including other conditions.

You can see where this is going ^_^.

With the multi-threading, the system is extremely fast. You don't even have to worry about a thread crashing from using the system too much ;p.

It allows for full multi-instancing (needed for ranged combat). The dummy unit has to store the damage data and effect type data from the attacking unit. When I originally tried to make a ranged combat system, it was just really hard because of this fact. With the MOP system, it's easy easy : D.

Good luck mate! I played Oblivion too ^_^. I'm trying to make a game like it save it includes everything from politics, commanding armies, running an empire, running a city, running a shop, etc. So mmm, we'll probably be doing a lot of the same things.

Oh, and don't forget. If ever you want your map serviced by a thing called Fate Industries, feel free to email me at [email protected]

The servicing includes system installs, system creation of systems we don't have yet that needs to be in your map, etc. It'll all run off of our core systems of course. One of these core systems as you can imagine is MOP (Multiple Objects and Properties).

glglglgl : D

Level 10
Use WEU, JassNewGen or make it a single player campaign instead of a single map. If you want it multiplayer, you will face many more problems except from the map being small, so make it single player!

EDIT: I actually have played Oblivon as well to tell you that's impossible to make it multiplayer. I have finished the game and I can help you with quests if you like and with some triggers.

Level 7
Thoughts and planning

*short version*
Need a custom tileset to look decent atleast at 50% zoom in wc3 if jassnewgen supports increasing map size to 480. If not, it would take a tileset to look decent at 90% zoom in in wc3. Need to know if its possible for terrain to look alright upclose if made for this purpose.

Below is a more detailed explanation on the subject with alot more planning and thought.

*Long version*
Alot of helpful info in this thread :). I think it is actually possible to fit the world all in a wc3 map if you do the scaling trick of 10%. With 10% Scaling of all models, a 256x256 map becomes a 2304x2304. You can't tell me you cant fit cyrodil in a map size of that :).

The main reason I haven't bothered modelling the entire imperial city yet is because the everything will look fine except for the actual terrain you walk on. Its a 9x zoom in on the terrain, and with wc3 terrain it looks pretty bad.

Now if I can collect atleast the basic terrain types of grass and dirt in a higher resolution and have it look fine at that zoom in then the doors open for the map.

I don't have any experience in making visual art so I can't go making a new tileset for terrain, even though its just 2 tiles im looking for (grass,dirt). I don't even know if its possible, now matter how high res the tileset is, if wc3 will only show it at a set resolution. Like zooming in, it still wouldn't look good.

*I just forgot till now, I read some about jassnewgen, it sounds like it can increase the map size? If it can increase it to 480x480, I would only have to reduce model size by 53%. Say for example, oblivion to fit on a map would take, maybe 2304x2304. Thats from an original 256x map. Now if we take a 480x map, instead of reducing all model size 9x to make it like a 2304x map, it would only take abotu 5x to reach 2304x with a 480x map. Like 256x9=2304 and 480x4.8=2304.

All in all, I think if wc3 supports a high res terrain atleast to 50% zoom in took look adequate for a terrain then were set. Since oblivion is about looking nice, the ground we would walk on would be a high priority.

Thanx for reading this if you made it to the end =).

Level 36
Why won't WC3 tileset look good at 50% zoom? I'd say you would want to go in to 200% zoom and just put grass all over the ground so you don't even have to see the tiles. You could fit more stuff that way.

Edit: 2304x2304 is WAY too big. I'd say 25% or 50% scale. You don't need to add every last field and stuff, there's not much in them anyways. Just make sure you get the major towns and all the little villages/caves.

Level 10
Well, making it online will be very hard. If you only think of the variables to level an attribute like you said about intelligence, it would lag like playing the normal oblivion game in a computer with 256 RAM! No way! Anyway, if there's a way to do it, try it out! It may work in the end!

Level 31
some people happen to like high res

it's up to us to respect each other's own unique opinions.

That's why we can never say anything is bad or good because it's based on our own opinions and wants. = ).

I'm an anarchist in the fact that I believe anyone should be able to do what they wish so long as it doesn't not interfere with anyone else's wishes. So long as we respect each other, everything would be ok =).

Level 7
I put in my building model next to my scaled down footman of jus 10% original size. I dont know why the building doesnt want to show its textures right but I think 10% scaled units would work fine if i could get the ingame camera to be like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.