• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

WoW Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
WoW Wars

I posted some info about this map in the Idea Factory,but considering that i have changed almost all parts of the map gameplay in the meantime,and that this is more of a project in developement than an idea at the moment,i decided to move it here.

Class Gameplay

Gameplay is unique for each class.

Classes:

-Warrior
Good for tanking and dealing decent damage.
Instead of mana,Rage fuels the Warrior's abilities.While the Warrior is fighting,his Rage will increase,but when not,in combat,rage will slowly go away.Max amount of Rage is 100.

-Rogue
Excellent damage dealer,but very fragile.Relies on stealth to kill his opponents.Rogue gameplay is based on ambushing enemies and stacking Combo Points,then releasing powerfull attacks that consume those points.
Rogues use Energy to release their attacks.Maximal Energy amount is 100,although some items can slightly increase the base value of Energy.

-Mage
The most powerfull spellcaster on the map,but also very fragile.While the Rogue has his armor to absorb the damage,the Mage should focus on disabling or slowing his oponents,then releasing high-damage bolts of magic from a safe distance.

-Warlock
Decent damage dealer,a bit more endurable then the Mage.Warlock gameplay is based on distracting enemies with pets,then releasing powerfull AoE or DoT spells when the opportunity arives.

-Paladin
The best tank after the Warrior,and the best supportive class after the Priest,but probably the worst damage dealer.Very hard to get rid of.A good Pally on your enemy's side could cause you a lot of trouble.

-Shaman
Also a good supportive unit,a good damage dealer,but not good at taking damage.Valuable for his ability to summon totems.

-Priest
Very bad in combat,but is the best supportive class.
The biggest bonus when having a priest on your side is his ability to ressurect.Best for 3v3,4v4,or 5v5 games.

-Hunter
Terrible if not properly used,but very hard to beat if used correctly.Relies on surprising enemies with traps and slowing them down while shooting them from a long range.The Hunters physical frailty is compensated by the power of his pet.

-Druid
Base melee spellcaster.While relying on agility,has an arsenal of decent spells to both support and damage,stall,or force in place.

-Death Knight
Not sure if this class will be added soon,since im trying to make map spells as similiar to wow spells as possible and the DK spells wont be known anytime soon BUT if you have any cool Death Knight spell ideas please post them.

Map Gameplay

The terrain is regrettably,very similiar to DoTA,the lanes are practically identically placed,and theres even that god damn river in the middle.
Im a good terrainer,but i lack creativity and patience for big project terrains,so if theres terrainer that could spice up the map a bit,i would be thankful for his help.

I havent yet decided what modes to add,more on this later.

At the beggining you can choose whether you want the creeps to spawn or not.If you choose not to,gold gained from hero kills will increase,and this will change the whole gameplay of the map to pure PvP.

There 18 towers scattered across the lanes,3 per each faction on a lane.Each tower has a faction guard.If the guard dies,the tower becomes attackable.If the tower is attacked,it will be captured,and a guard belonging to the attacking units faction will spawn there.You can capture a tower only once,after that they can be destroyed.(i havent changed this.)

When an enemy hero dies,the killing unit will receive honor points,that can be used to buy special honor items.

The goal is to get past the towers,capture the enemy flag,and bring it to your base.When the flag is captured,the enemy team will be notified of it,and will be able to see the carrier through the fog of war.The flag will drop upon death.

There are 3 bosses on the map,only one is finished atm,The Headless Horseman.

Each boss will drop unique items,most of them will be charged or one-use only.

Item Gameplay

Weapons or armor can be purchased from vendors.

Vendors will sell items that WoW players might have seen before for example:

Vendor 0:Class items(Mage only,Rogue only etc.)
Vendor 1:Molten Core items
Vendor 2:Black Wing Lair and Onyxias Lair items
Vendor 3:Naxxramas items
Vendor 4:Karazhan items etc.

Potions and various items that dont get into the weapons or armor cathegory will be available from bosses,special vendors and Honor Shops.
Im going to mix this all up with some recipes,mounts etc.

Ill edit this post from time to time to let you in on anything new.

Map is on a good way to be finished soon,and as soon as i finish some items ill post the beta version.

Edit:Updated.

Last edited:
Level 12
Some screenshots? :cry:

here i added some screens although the map isnt finished it wont look like this in the final version(terrain type will still be icecrown tho)
imagesm6.jpg

Credits for the Gnome Warlock model go to Norinrad
Credits for the Pumpkin Boss go to Donut 3.5

Edit:You will only have 1 hero of course,you see 6 of them on the screens cause i was testing the map.

BTW can anyone tell me how to enable the show/hide option for the screens,they are too big so i know this might be annoying.

Last edited:
Level 12
Updated with bold coloured text :) and some basic class info.I have all the spells done,but im not going to discuss them yet since i might change a lot till the beta version comes out.

Level 12
Well since the map is roughly based on World of Warcraft i would prefer to leave the classes as they are but i can enable proffesions for classes which would increase the choices for players.You would only have 1 or 2 professions

Alchemist

Gives the ability to concoct potions to the Hero.

Like +30 agi for 30 seconds potion,potions that you can throw at the enemy and deal damage...

Enchanter

Gives the ability to enchant items carried in your inventory to permanently increase their magical bonuses(I would need help about this one)

Rider

Allows the Hero to purchase and ride mounts.Mounts permanently increase movement speed of the hero.

Engineer

Allows the Hero to make gizmos and contraptions(like bombs,guns,missiles etc.)

Blacksmith

Allows the Hero to craft weapons and armor.

So basically you can be a rogue,but at the same time nuke your enemies with exploding potions,or be a mage and plant bombs for your enemies.

Itll take a lot of time before i implement all of this tho.

Or i could make every class to be able to split into three sub-classes.

For example when picking rogues you can choose between 3 sub-classes
Assasination Rogue
-Bases on dealing large amounts of damage combined with crits and assasination abilities
Combat Rogue
-Bases on dealing moderate damage,uses combat skills for both defence(using evasion,parrying etc.cause rogue tanking with plate armor is a bit stupid)and offence.

Subtelty Rogue
-Bases on surprising enemies with great damage ambush attacks.Bases on stealth and backstab attacks.Usefull from dissapearing away from combat.

Or Mage:

Arcane Mage:

Relies on regenerating mana quickly,and firing small-damaged but rapid arcane
spells.Most arcane spells depend solely on the Mage's intellect.

Fire Mage:
Relies on dealing huge damage by firing casting spells with large cooldowns.Most fire spells could have stun effects.

Frost Mage:

Relies on dealing moderate damaged frost spells that dont slow the enemy,giving the mage an opportunity to pound them from a safe distance.

Each sub-class could have different abilities.The only thing they share with their class is the one class ability that you can get at the beggining and their attributes.

This way 9 classes each split into 3 sub-classes - 27 different hero types on each faction.

What do you think?

Level 12
Sorry i couldnt reply to your posts guys,i couldnt use my internet for a couple of days im back now tho.

As for the question how am i going to split the classes into class types im going to use this system:

No matter what specialization you choose,your hero will have 4 base abilities(3 normal and 1 ulti),although the power of those abilities and their usage in combat will be determined by your specialization.If you specialize to Shadow with a Priest dont expect to be the main healer for your team,cause your heal will weaken while your shadow spell damage will increase.
Same goes for all the classes,the best tank is a Defence Warrior,if you spec to Fury,you wont be as half as good at taking damage,although you will be a better damage dealer.

By choosing your specialization,you will get 2 additional abilities.

Here is an example of the Rogue and Mage classes and some of their specialization bonuses.

When picking a class,you will also get to pick your classes spec.

Rogue

pic1mv6.jpg

---------------------------------

pic2en2.jpg

pic3hv5.jpg

pic6it1.jpg

pic7xn2.jpg

Mage

001vo2.jpg

pic4zc9.jpg

pic5ey9.jpg

I finished about 75% of the bonuses and specialization triggers,ill post complete info about it when its fully completed.

Of course most of the values will change due to balancing and fixes that i need to do.

Ill post additional info a bit later.

Edit:

I have changed the goal of the map from capturing the flag to capturing main towers.As i said each lane has 6 towers,3 for horde and 3 for alliance.For each tower you captured,your gold income will increase.On each factions side of the lane there will be a building(tower,obelisk,barracks or something).When your team destroys or captures(ill decide that later) all 3 of the enemy teams buildings your team wins.Ill probaly add a -ctf(Capture The Flag) mode so when you pick this the buildings will dissappear and a flag will appear on the enemy teams side so then the goal will be to capture it but i think the main mode will be to control the 3 buildings.

Please give me your opinion on this,does it sound good to you or should i change the main goal again.

Last edited:
Level 12
There will be 7 spells that a hero can learn:

-2 speciality spells

-3 regular spells each has 4 or 5 levels

-1 ultimate spell with 3 or 4 levels

-something similiar to attribute bonus with 10 or 20 levels
an use and most of the spells are triggered so its more fun than regular warcraft spells.

of course therell be like 30 - 40 item spells

i could make like a spellbook based spell system but heroes with 30 spells each are just too complicated especially for a map where a game can last 20 minutes.

Level 12
Well in the early game heroes will gain levels pretty fast but as the game goes on,it gets harder and harder,but in order to gain levels in a fair rate it wont be enough to justs kill spawns youll have to kill heroes and special creeps so itll be harder than normal.

Level 12
I let the project hibernate because i started on an another map...but since i already finished about 90% of it i guess it would be stupid to just pause it so ill do both projects simultaneously.

Edit:Im expecting the beta of the map to be released in about a week

Level 12
I might add more spells,but after the beta is released.For now i have much more to work on,im completely reworking the terrain for example.

Level 12
I had this idea in my mind for a while now...I could implement a Hero mode.By choosing this,the taverns with regular WoW classes are instantly replaced with Hero taverns.Each side would have a number of heroes from the original warcraft lore(Illidan,Akama,Vashj,Uther,Grom Hellscram,Thrall,Jaina,Rexxar,Admiral Proudmoore,Vol'Jin ,Arthas,Tichondrius etc.)The heroes would be the ones you could see in wc3 campaigns,but their spells would be completely different than the ones you used,yet made to match each hero(Illidan wouldnt have Holy Light etc.)This mode would expand the number of possibilities for the players that like it that way,and for the ones who like pure PvP theres always the normal mode.Note that by implementing this mode each side would have about 20 - 30 heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.