• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[improvement] » Chernobyl - Lost Riddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
We need some merges, correct. This would be grandiose!
Basically we need merges of the stairs, some concrete blocks, bar stools and some grills. I could create some samples and put them into a test-map.

Would this be ok for you?

By the way, what about 'pathing-merges'?
.. 'merging four large platforms together?

Some examples:

wip_0604aq1.jpg

wip_067i9w3.jpg

wip_06239de.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Perhaps use a different approach, are you using doodads or destructables? If your using destructables you can store all the needed information (location, height, size) in triggers and load areas of the map as needed. One room at a time. You'll have a larger map (triggers) but less objects displaying at one time.

If more then one room uses the same flooring (tiles) setup you could create/destroy destructables as needed. In essence putting multiple areas in one, saving map size.

Some doodads can also be converted to destructables.

There's also a program that can convert destructables to triggered versions. It's a program called dooeditor http://www.wc3c.net/resources.php?f=617. Not sure if it's still in there, but I have it on my computer anyways, if needed.

----

Just noticed, is the problem too many objects on the map at once or is the area which the player is viewing have too many objects for the computer to handle.

Merginf IS a suloution, i have a map of myself in wich i used to have a billion small doodads, but then updating it by putting in fewer large models to replace them dropped framerate by a lot.
As i mentioned in the project thread, you will not find a single modern game that uses warcrafts way of using doodads, even though some of them features things like floors with similar patterns. The doodad system is just to be more user-friendly and will not improve preformance.
More importantly, merging doodads might improve the shading aswell, since the standalone pieces only have individual shading for the most. This might be good or bad depending on the circumstances though.

EDIT: instead of using destructibles, you can simply place LOS-blockers behind walls, since warcraft renders everything within your LOS, even if it's behind a wall.
On pathing blockers you can change the pathing texture to better fit your needs (if you dont want it square and small, that is), hopefully you can do something similar with LOS-blockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.