• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crescent Arrow Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Indomitable1319 here. :)

I've got a small spell request. I've seen it before in some AoS map: a Ranger hero targets a point and an arrow fires from her right side and travels to the target point and back to the hero; in a crescent movement.

What I'm asking for is a duplicate of that spell, only this one not only deals damage to the targets hit by the arrow but it also slows the affected units.

Could someone please make this spell for me, and make the arrow speed customizable in the trigger? :)

Thank you! :D
Here's an illustration of what the spell looks like.

Attachments

• szdf3r.png
    szdf3r.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 216
Kind of.
You understand the crescent part, although from what the image shows it looks like the phoenix follows the caster to find its end point.
What I am looking for is the unit targets a point, then the arrow fires from the right side and swoops to the left then returns to the caster; just like the illustration I have above. Each unit that is hit will receive damage and will be slowed for a short time.

Well, I don't know how good you are with triggering, but here is a snippet to produce a curving path to a target and then back to the caster:

JASS:
real t=0
real Xc = GetUnitX(caster)
real Yc = GetUnitY(caster)
real Xt = GetSpellTargetX()
real Yt = GetSpellTargetY()
unit arrow = CreateUnit(...)
//Periodic Timer:
set Xc=GetUnitX(caster)
set Yc=GetUnitY(caster)
call SetUnitX(arrow, (Xt-Xc)*Sin(t*PI)+0.25*(Yt-Yc)*Sin(2*t*PI)+Xc)
call SetUnitY(arrow, (Yt-Yc)*Sin(t*PI)+0.25*(Xc-Xt)*Sin(2*t*PI)+Yc)
call GroupEnumUnitInArea(foo, GetUnitX(Arrow),GetUnitY(arrow),AoE,Condition( function bar))
set t=t+interval

function bar takes nothing returns boolean
 local unit u = GetFilterUnit()
 if IsUnitEnemy(u,GetOwningPlayer(caster)) and not IsUnitType(u,UNIT_TYPE_DEAD) then
  call UnitDamageTarget(caster,u,....)
 endif
 return false
endfunction

The arrow comes back to the caster at t=1

Attachments

• Lissajous.png
    Lissajous.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 150
Level 14
As far as i can see this only works if the spell gets casted to the east (blue curve), in other directions the arc looks weird.

359iku8.png

Code:
dt = [0:0.01:1];
hold all;

c = [0; 0];
t = [100; 0];
traj(1, :) = c(1) + (t(1) - c(1)) * sin(dt * pi) + 0.25 * (t(2) - c(2)) * sin(2 * dt * pi);
traj(2, :) = c(2) + (t(2) - c(2)) * sin(dt * pi) + 0.25 * (t(1) - c(1)) * sin(2 * dt * pi);
plot(traj(1, :), traj(2, :))

c = [0; 0];
t = [100; 100];
traj(1, :) = c(1) + (t(1) - c(1)) * sin(dt * pi) + 0.25 * (t(2) - c(2)) * sin(2 * dt * pi);
traj(2, :) = c(2) + (t(2) - c(2)) * sin(dt * pi) + 0.25 * (t(1) - c(1)) * sin(2 * dt * pi);

c = [0; 0];
t = [200; 100];

c = [0; 0];
t = [100; 200];

legend('t = [100; 0]', 't = [100; 100]', 't = [200; 100]', 't = [100; 200]')
xlabel('x');
ylabel('y');

Level 16
Spell created. The arc is indeed erratic as muzzle pointed out. Mag is helping me find a better formula. So be patient and consider this a beta demo :D

Further details is included in my VM for you. Don't hesitate to contact me through PM or VM if you need any further assistance :D

Attachments

• Crescent Shuriken.w3x
    28 KB · Views: 59
Level 14
Yeah, sorry guys, a sign error. The second line has to be call SetUnitY(arrow, (Yt-Yc)*Sin(t*PI)-0.25*(Xc-Xt)*Sin(2*t*PI)+Yc)

nah im sry u had it right in the first place

call SetUnitY(arrow, (Yt-Yc)*Sin(t*PI)+0.25*(Xc-Xt)*Sin(2*t*PI)+Yc)
is correct

nn5glc.png

i made a typ and used
call SetUnitY(arrow, (Yt-Yc)*Sin(t*PI)+0.25*(Xt-Xc)*Sin(2*t*PI)+Yc)
which is equal to
call SetUnitY(arrow, (Yt-Yc)*Sin(t*PI)-0.25*(Xc-Xt)*Sin(2*t*PI)+Yc)

Status
Not open for further replies.