• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lttp: epic rpg (wip)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST EPIC RPG
author: gavdaman88
players: 1-4 suggested 2 at least

OVERVIEW

Firstly sorry about the brief overview I wrote before, I'll try to explain a lot more here. But as the name suggests I'm making a version of link to the past for wc3, something many have attempted in the past. Frankly from what I've played they're fairly poor recreations though, with unusable items, abilities with different names from old blizzard made ones and bogus stories.

This game will stick to the roots of the storyline, the only difference is the game will allow more freedom, the first three palaces will be made open at the exact same time, which allows for more fun multiplayer (teamwork isn't always fun, sometimes going off on your own and getting an item to show off is a lot more fun in epic rpgs).

PLAYERS

As far as who you chose to play as, so far I haven't worked on this aspect much, but it's probably going to be the choice of Link, Zelda and a few out of link to the past characters (I'm having trouble deciding). I was considering including wolf link or midna, but am not sure yet.

The only hero ability I have made so far is 'Triforce of wisdom', Zelda's planned ultimate. It summons a large triforce around Zelda, and she channels it while losing large mana amounts. It deals large damage to random points within the triforce, but the mana means you have to choose good moments to use this. Also most bosses will be spell immune so you have to use certain items and strategies to beat them instead.

Here's a screenie of zeldas ultimate so far.

ITEMS

Every item from lttp is in this map, and they all act as similarly to their old counterparts as I could make. I'll include a list of some items I've triggered that have non passive effects.

Bombs: Can be laid, and 3 seconds later explode taking out any nearby rocks, and damaging nearby units. They can be used by more than one player at once too, so a mad bomber game can be started (good fun). Heres some shots of the bombs and how they work and look in game.

Boomerang: When this is used it throws the boomerang out in short line in a straight direction and stuns any units it passes by. It then returns to the caster, just like it did in lttp.

Cane of Byrna: Summon an orb that surrounds the caster making him invulnerable, I'm considering giving the orb a 'knockback' effect just like in the original lttp, but this may cause units to go up walls which I definitely don't want.

(effect looks much better when seen in motion)

Cane of somaria: Summons an invisible block to place on switches, only this time you can move it around by commanding the block itself to make it a bit easier to use. I'm considering making it disperse sparks when it dies like the lttp one did.

Titan mitts: Around the map will be dark rocks, which cannot be blown up by bombs. Instead targetting them with this item will allow you to pick them up and throw them in a straight line at other units.

Ice rod: Like the lttp version it sends a projectile that freezes a unit if it collides. The fire rod serves more purpose, burning a unit for a random amount of time if it strikes before dissapating, but it can also be used to light distant torches, as can the lantern for ones within melee reach.

Hookshot: This item carries you across gaps (yes you actually get seen moving, not just reappearing somewhere else) and uses a lightning effect for the hook itself that moves with you. Although some glitches can occur from this item sometimes I'm working on it and this will definitely be a fun item to use. It targets posts as seen in the screenie.

Magic flute: Playing this flute in the light world overworld (wont work in dungeons just like in lttp) will open up a spellbook menu with the 8 locations you could choose in lttp. It will be a very useful item in getting around, but is optional (the way to misery mire is no longer only available by warping).

MAPPING

I would say that I am best as a mapper. Terraining and doodading are always two important aspects in my map, however due to the rather simple layout of objects and terrain in lttp I have held back in this map. It is almost done in terms of doodading and I'm just over 4000, although it still looks rich in detail. One of the best aspects of the map I'm making is it has EVERYTHING. Every cave, every fairy fountain (almost), every dungeon (although they're not as big as they were in lttp of course, range from about 7 to 20ish rooms, 35 or so for ganons tower I hope).

And unlike other lttp maps, mine has an alternate dark world, of the exact same terrain shape in most places, however significant differences in some areas. The dark world is entered after the first three palaces are complete by stepping on the warp tiles around Hyrule (from their old lttp locations), but are only acessible if you hold a magic mirror (the old man on death mountain will sell them). I plan to even include some metroid prime 2 style 'dimensional' puzzles where an action in the light world will have an effect in the dark, and vice versa. Not sure yet though.

I used 'village' as my default tileset, but used different ground textures, however I didn't get a 'brick' style wall. Instead I use large brick doodads, which look better in my opinion, I'll let you decide. The only thing I'm working on and having trouble with currently is water tinting, trying to get green water in the dark world and blue in the light, but simultaneously. I might use ground fog or just leave blue water in the dark world, but as the screenies will show, green water looks awesome in the dark world.

Anyway heres some screenies of the terrain currently:

the 'sanctuary' area of the dark world

the eastern palace in the light world (the outside that is)

Hyrule castle exterior (side entrance under rock)

kakariko village

Lake Hylia

Palace of darkness exterior (eastern palace, but in the dark world)

Just a small room in the tower of hera

Village of outcasts (kakariko, but in the dark world)

the main room of the water dungeon (dark world)

And thats about as much as I have on the map as of yet, when I make my heroes and some enemies/bosses I'll be sure to update, but for now hopefully that's a satisfying tell of what is to come. Oh... and expect puzzles. Lots of puzzles.

ADDITION

World map complete. Every location has been doodaded and mapped, now all that remains is enemies, dungeon puzzles, quests and characters.

UPDATES 1

I've finished triggering the first three palaces! In terms of puzzles they don't employ many yet, mainly destroy all the enemies in a room to receive a key/item, with the occasional lantern lighting puzzle. Once more items are obtained in the dark world I will focus on puzzles a lot more.

In terms of the enemies I have made, they are fairly strong, the weakest having base damage of about 13-15 (a green soldier) and the strongest so far being moldorm with a damage base of 80. Yep that's right 80! The health on enemies makes it a near essential that you at least play with one friend, or invincible cheats if you're a n00b. These figures aren't final of course though as I've only tested with two heroes.

The camera style is fixed (locked to the main hero), but in some parts of the game you gain control of hostages or neutrals such as zelda in the castle of the smithy in the dark world. If they leave your screen while unselected you need to go back to get them, although not like lttp, it is more realistic, and much more free of glitching than getting them to follow.

There is also a new item I have created,

The magic mirror

There are many warp tiles scattered throughout the light and dark worlds, and using this item on them will warp you between the worlds at any of these. Many puzzles will be solved using this as they were in lttp. The only difference is you don't use it anywhere, only on these points to avoid glitching or sequence breaking. At first only some warps will work on death mountain, so as to let you over spectacle rock, and to the tower of hera.

The enemies as of so far are mostly there to attack you normally, via melee or projectile. The only exceptions are two units, leevers which burrow, and...

BEAMOS

The laser towers are back, and they have a crosshair that wanders around the tower. Enter it and the tower attacks you, and deals large damage, not the kinda thing you want to cross the path of.

In the next few days I plan to trigger all the quests remaining in the light world, obtaining the master sword, and aghanims castle tower, then the dark world in the next month or so (7 dungeons is going to take a while... and well Ganon's tower... it's a REPLICA of the original from lttp, so its huge!).

I'll update with a movie of the extraction of the master sword... it's gonna be good! Once I make it that is!

AT LONG LAST ANOTHER UPDATE
HEROES

I have now completely made heroes in terms of stats and abilties. They may lack balance as I haven't played this as a multiplayer map so far, but one thing is for sure with these heroes. You WILL need to play with 2+ players at least, the enemies once you hit the dark world will overwhelm any hero in the map you can choose.

The heroes are pictured in the image below, but here is a description of their abilties.

GOOD HEROES

Link
Base: agility
Abilities
Time rift: A slight modification of wind walk to last longer and move faster, mainly used to get from dungeon to dungeon faster and escape battles
Rain of arrows: Showers a variable amount of arrows in a small area, dealing damage to any units within
Way of the sword: Gives a chance to do bonus damage and a medium length stun, small chance balances it
Ultimate: Fierce deity: Transforms Link into the demi god fierce deity, allowing him insane attack speed and bonus hit points for a short time

Zelda
Base: Intelligence
Abilities
Rain of din: Showers burning rocks from the sky in a large area
Lighting strike: Deals a very random amount between 100 and a large number to an enemy unit
Nayru's Love: Temporarily creates a shield that absorbs damage taken
Ultimate: Farore's restoration: Provides heavy mana regeneration

Wolf link
Base: Agility
Abilities
Howl: Boosts attack damage for a short time of nearby units
Heightened senses: Increases evasiveness
Twilit bolt: Summons a bolt of energy towards multiple targets
Ultimate: Blessing of the wild: Passively increases intelligence and strength

EVIL HEROES

Veran
Base: Intelligence
Dark toss: Sends homing missiles of darkness towards nearby enemy targets
Thieving hands: Allows mana to be stolen upon each hit veran makes
Confusion: Creates a large number of illusions that eventually deal damage
Ultimate: Judgement: Veran sends out multiple bolts of lightning to units (up to 9 eventually) that deal heavy damage

Onox
Base: Strength
Quake heel: Slams the ground, stunning and heavily damaging nearby units
Life tap: Drains the life of a unit steadily, still trying to let it go past his maximum hp
Critical strike: same as usual, but more damage multiplying and smaller chance
Ultimate: Dark dragon: Transforms into the dark dragon, dealing much more damage to units and gaining max hp

Majora
Growth: Gains max hp for a short time
Cry of anguish: Lowers nearby units damage
Ancient dark armor: Heavy thorn aura
Possess: Takes control of any non boss enemy for a short time with 50% or less hp

In the end I didn't trigger many abilities as the ones blizzard already had the bases for actually allowed me to provide a much greater balance of heroes. They do however always act a bit differently wether it be slightly different stats or effects. Each hero is fun to play, especially Zelda and Onox. And the ultimate of Link is a blast to use... but may be overbalanced.

PROGRESS

Heres what you want to know SuperMj. I have now made all heroes as you can see, all items, all mapping/terraining and the quests/dungeons are complete up to the swamp temple (second dark world dungeon). The only thing hindering me now is unfortunately the speed of world editor, even with the brush list down the amount of units and items/destructibles the map holds adds a 12-16 second delay on each trigger reference to a unit/item/destructible. I'll get there hopefully in a matter of weeks, but am not sure seeming Ganons tower has well over 40 rooms.

I'm working as hard as I can, and I will continue to do so.

EDIT4: Beta released on page 3

Last edited:
Level 9
Sorry about my brief first post. I've updated the first post to show screens and explanations of all aspects of the game that are made so far. Hope this is satisfying to all zelda fans out there, this'll probably have no betas, just a final piece so I'll keep updating to keep you informed, then post it as a map in the archive when it's done.

Level 2
I like the way it's shaping up, a war 3 incarnation of "A Link to the Past" can't go wrong. Nothing can beat the old game boy's and super nintendo's when it comes to action and puzzle RPG's, and I reckon a mod with that style of approach would be a welcome change to the growing amount of generic war3 rpg's out there.

(ps: isn't it rediculous how quick people are to blam you for not adding enough information, but then never leave useful or interested posts? blows my mind)

Level 9
I guess they didn't have much interesting stuff to say as a result of me not posting a lot before, but thanks for expressing interest. I agree nothing can ever beat the real thing, I'm making this more so for a multiplayer turn on the adventure.

UPDATE

I'm working on a 'battle arena' where heroes can stay to fight waves of creeps to receive rewards until they're overwhelmed. Further information once I make it.

Level 8
ok Yabooer gives u a thumbs up =) a zelda rpg that wont take about a day to beat i hope... Ok well keep this up if u need a tester leave me a message would love to test this out

Level 8
The terrain isnt horrible famous its pretty good whats mainly important is what the accuracy of where there placed is at compared to the real game which i think is very good keep it up im expecting this game.

Level 9
Anyone who wants to be a tester can be, I'll submit the map in the archives upon it's first version (it won't be perfect, that's a definite). As for changing terrain, I'll add deformation and shrubs etc. when the whole map is mapped, don't worry I'll try to make it look a bit more detailed.

I'm really overwhelmed with the amount of people who gave positive feedback so far, thanks guys! I'll update this board when I have something that would interest. Until then I'll be working on the map and leaving this thread for anyone to comment on what's already there.

Level 8
gav no problem its a good lookin map i think i really like the hook shot idea( is it going to be like the pudge hook how the charcs move?) When do yoou think the map will be done?

Level 9
The hookshot is currently just a target ability that can only target posts, then it creates a lightning effect between the caster and the post and drags you there. Pudge's hook would be great for this... but I don't think I could do it without learning more complicated triggering. I'll give it a shot, but chances are the hookshot won't be like the hook.

As for a completion date, I'll try to finish this in the next month or so, but uni homework has picked up seeming it's nearing the end of semester. I'll try my best.

Level 6
Wow this map looks awsome and the minimap looks like you got everything in the perfect spot this game was the best omg i love this game so much, please make this game come to life, all i have to say

~4rankie~

Level 8
gav LOVE the minimap preview its very good clean and sexxxxy. and like 4rankie said keep it up. But most of all make it something thats going to take a long time to release the final v so its perfect in all ways. Goodjob keep it up

Level 9
I've just triggered from the start of the game to kakariko village, and thankyou for the minimap comments.... that isn't the in game one but is actually a 'view entire map' shot in world editor, hence the detail level. In game it isn's quite so sexy :p

I'll get this done as quick as i can while trying to get details right... I may release a beta to test the first castle if I can get around to making custom abilities for a hero or two.

Level 9
I'm not sure if I'll need testing, I have a person I hamachi with a lot so probably the only thing I can't test myself will be tested by both of us to make sure multi works (especially things like cinematics that work for all players). I made the master sword scene... its ok just waiting for youtube to upload it.

Another update I'll make here... this game uses lttp sounds and music, it works nicely! But it doesn't use all of them (sword hits are still wc3 sword hits etc.).

I'd consider the final release a 'test release' because I want to polish this map once it's done to a good quality worth playing and hosting.

Level 8
ok excellent gav the map will be a very good one and any news if you got the new hookshot idea to work or is it to complicated?

Level 9
Surprisingly no :wgrin:

However it is officially on hold, the triggering of this map has proven to be very repetitive and has killed my enjoyment for world editor for the time being. As soon as I feel ready to get back to work, this is what I will be working on, and also a super secret, but very awesome side project.

Have faith in me!

Level 4
hmm can i help make the map? LTTP is my favorate zelda game. im pretty good with triggers and could also test the map

Level 9
Sorry... I don't make maps in teams, and my trigger knowledge is enough for me dont worry. I started working on this again last night, the light world is finished in every aspect now all that remains is the dark world and ganons tower, but these will take a long time trigger, seeming every key appearing and opening a door has a trigger each (which is whats taking the longest). I'll try to have it finished mid Jan.

Level 9
Hrm... I don't mean to dissapoint people but I haven't had any time to get things done, there are some things going on in my life and I've had to push all the maps im working on (I'm working on 2 others, less devoted than this one) aside for now. It's likely I might have to call this map on hold unfornately... sorry...

Level 8
Hey i haven't posted in a while shits been goin down in my life haha so hows the map comming along?

Level 6
This sure is a necropost.
This project looks way cool, well done, and near completed! I was wondering if you are still making progress on it, now that you are done with your Diablo 2 - Act I map? It looks like you did a remarkable job on re-creating the Diablo world in Wc3 (something rare) and I believe you will be the best at re-creating the Zelda world in Wc3. All your screens look amazing and so far, as I can tell, extremely accurate. I am a huge fan of the whole Zelda series and Link to the Past was always my favorite. You have done the best on a Zelda map that I have ever seen and I hope you finish this. I also hope this post encourages you to finish, as their are still people excited. Don't give up man.

Level 9
:pYes definitely a necro post :p

I got sick of making this map, but I'm working on it again now with this motivation! I've got no idea how I'll reduce lag in it though as it happens on low quality computers.

EDIT: Hrm... much frustration prevails. I can't finish this map currently due to the slowness of world editor with it. However I will release it as it is, protected of course.

Consider this a beta, enjoy!

Attachments

• opt-zelda orpg - beta.09.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
Level 12
VERY nice!
*applauds

I most definitely like it. It is a very good remake of a great original game.
Suggestion time:

1) It is very large and runs really slow, and look at the imports, (that you can see) it is from how you played this song repeatedly. This song is HUGE for a regular wc3 game and should NOT be play some much for MULTIPLAYER. You can only do that stuff in singleplayer ones.
You can see more songs here which I can convert to mp3 for you if you wish.

2) If you'd play the real game, you don't need 2+ players to live, try to make handicap when there is only 1 player.

3) I do believe the boomerang did deal damage to some enemies.

4) If you have big repeating triggers with "time: repeat every 0.01 seconds" or something like that, change it to 0.05, the human eye can see that just as well.

5) Keep up the good work!

Level 9
1. yes... i know this isn't a friendly size I'll probably replace it with a wc3 song that most suits zelda. Or I could convert one of them, thanks for the link, although midis are usually terrible for maps :p
2. Hrm this map is encouraged for multi :p if you get stuck in single a cheat for a bit won't hurt anyone ;)
3. I just checked and yer your right it has like a 5 damage thing guess I left it out of the item descrip.
4. Will do
5. Thankyou!

I appreciate the feedback! I'll advise you when I begin work on this again.

ReS

ReS

Level 1
damn this is nice, can you please work on this some more? i love zelda its so awesome, maybe even bigger then life? :)
thanks for the beta dude i will play it long time :)

Level 9
Wow haven't touched this map for a while.... it got pretty hard to work on, the delay for destructible placing was mind boggling (about 30 seconds for selecting anything in the trigger editor). And with the size of ganon's tower and the lag this map experienced I gave up. The beta covers an epic amount of the game... not much is left missing, however I'm sorry for not finishing this map, I placed much time into it.

Enjoy what I managed to complete, and thanks for the comment

Oh and for those wondering my pc is still down (no net, programs aren't installing well) so my other 2 projects are still pending.... aiming to be back on them in about a week if I'm lucky). Im writing this from a friends pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.