• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Lord of the Rings Conquest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Idea: This will be a very large map with a play style somewhat similar to Lords of Europe in terms of empire expansion and also to Azeroth Wars in terms of combat. There will be many capturable regions with a wide variety of terrains as well as many different races to choose from.

Please tell me if you have any ideas or suggestions. What do you think about the terrain? Does it need narrower areas and more chokeholds? What are some more units I could add? Any ideas you have I want to hear!

Terrain: 40%
Races: 6 of 7 complete
Triggers: 70%

Gameplay
1.)Unit Counters: Knowing and using the unit counters is a very important part of the game, spamming archers will not work. I was inspired by games like Age of Empires in this area.

Infantry: 100% damage against all units, takes 125% damage from archers
Archers: 125% damage against infantry, takes 150% damage from cavalry
Cavalry: 150% damage to archers, takes 1000% damage from pikes (Pikes only deal around 6-8 damage so they are weak vs. all other units)
Pikes: 1000% damage to cavalry, 150% damage from archers
Catapults: 150% damage to structures, 500% damage to ships, 25% damage to walls and gates
Battering Rams: 150% damage to all structures, 150% damage from siege weapons, 25% damage from archers

2.) Siege Units: Aside from the basic battering ram, catapult, and siege tower that most races posses, Each race has at least 1 ultimate siege weapon.

Onager (Gondor): Throws five rocks for every launch dealing massive damage to enemy archers in a large AOE but low damage to enemy structures.
Trebuchet (Gondor): Has the longest range of any unit. Stuns enemy units in an area for 1.5 seconds (Can only build 5)
Plague Bringer (Mordor): Long range. Poisons enemy units in an area and reduces their armor.
Siege Breaker (Dwarves): Shoots three rocks in a line dealing large damage to structures.
Infernal Contraption (Isengard): Has Burning Oil and high damage.
Glaive Thrower (Elves): Has Vorpal Blades which deals damage for 500 distance (whatever unit WC3 uses) after the target is hit.
Devastator (Haradrim): Shoots 3 rocks in a horizontal line making it effective against multiple enemy towers.

3.) Elite Units: Each race has its own Elite Units which are more powerful infantry, archers, or cavalry with their own unique ability. Elite units only cost war supplies (lumber), meaning that you can continue to train ordinary units (which only cost gold) while you train elite units.

232885-albums8652-picture105324.png

232885-albums8652-picture105322.png

232885-albums8652-picture105318.png

232885-albums8652-picture105319.png

232885-albums8652-picture105320.png

232885-albums8652-picture105321.png

4.) Heroes: Each race currently has 1 hero. I made heroes have mostly custom triggered abilities. Heroes are very important, but are not overpowered since they cannot take armies on alone.

232885-albums8652-picture105308.png

232885-albums8652-picture105309.png

232885-albums8652-picture105311.png

232885-albums8652-picture105310.png

232885-albums8652-picture105312.png

5.) Resources: Gold is obtained by income. Every 15 seconds your Regions produce 50 gold and your Fishing Ships produce 25 gold. War Supplies (Lumber) are obtained by building Supply Depots. Supply Depots produce 1 war supply every minute but they take up 15 food each. War supplies are used fro upgrades, elite units, warships, and purchasing items.

232885-albums8652-picture105313.png

6.) Additional Features: Extra stuff that makes the map more interesting.

Archer Towers: These can be captured. They load your archers on top of the tower, keeping them safe from melee damage and increasing their attack damage.

232885-albums8652-picture105314.png

Efficient Hotkeys: Hotkeys can make a huge difference in gameplay. Bad hotkeys can slow down your reaction times and make it hard to concentrate. Good hotkeys make your gameplay much smoother and more natural.

232885-albums8529-picture103558.png

Pictures
232885-albums8652-picture105295.png

232885-albums8652-picture105294.png

232885-albums8652-picture105022.png
Patch Notes

Alpha 0.1
-Just uploaded
Alpha 0.2
-Added cooldown, duration, area of effect, and range stats to tooltips
-Added Looking_For_Help's physical damage detection system
-Added more doodads to fill out map
-Added legolas's ability "Hunter's Mark" which reduces the armor of a target unit for a duration
-Added the Suicide ability for workers in case they get stuck of you have too many of them
-Changed capturing regions now uses the damage detection system
-Changed resource rate to a lower amount
-Changed item shops now immediately carry potions and scrolls of town portal
-Changed cavalry collision to 1 so they can get to enemy archers
-Changed Harad wind effect to a lighter wind
-Changed increased the damage pikemen do to cavalry
-Fixed many memory leaks
-Fixed unit limitations bug
-Fixed music glitching and overlapping tracks
-Fixed all triggered abilities using warstomp to use a storm bolt aoe instead since warstomp lags the game
-Fixed random race choose to actually work now
-Fixed Saruman's level 6 ability "Traitors" to work now
Alpha 0.3
-Added build-able gates, vertical and horizontal
-Added more chokeholds and more ways into bases
-Added upkeep system: past 100 food there is an upkeep that becomes harsher with higher food usage.
-Changed war supply system: war supplies are now obtained by building Supply Depots which produce 1 per minute. Supply Depots cost 15 food
-Changed unit counter system: Removed elite attack and armor type and replaced with pike type attack and armor. Elites now are either infantry, archers, or cavalry but have higher stats than ordinary units and special abilities
-Changed Legolas's Hunters Mark ability: increases damage the target unit receives directly (20% first level) instead if reducing armor.
Alpha 0.4
-Added specific traits to certain units: catapults resistant to archers, ships take extra damage from catapults, walls take reduced damage from catapults, etc
-Added Concussive Blast ability to Trebuchet which causes it to stun enemy units in an area
-Added First Strike ability to Mordor Warg Riders: When at 100 mana they deal 6x damage to archers for 1 hit, mana set back down to 0
-Added Archer Towers which are terrain towers that can be captured. You can load archers on top of the tower which gives them increased attack damage
-Added unit groups system for units with specific traits to reduce lag
-Added specific upgrades to elite units
-Changed Onager rock scatter radius: the rocks land closer together
-Changed Plauge Bringer uses damage detection system to spawn plague cloud on damaging units
-Changed upkeep penalty to be a little less harsh
-Changed terrain in Umbar region to have more chokeholds
-Changed so elite units now use armory upgrades
-Fixed Boromir's Hammer of the West passive ability: rapidly pressing "stop" will no longer spam heal him
-Fixed Warships costing no resources, they now cost 10 war supplies
Alpha 0.5
-Changed specific traits system: all units now have an ability explaining their resistances and damage bonuses. This ability has a related buff which enables triggers to identify them and change received or dealt damage to or from them
-Changed upkeep is now a little less harsh
-Changed increased Mamukil resistance to pikes and increased movement and attack speed

Attachments

• Lotr Conquest v 0.5 Alpha.w3x
    7.8 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Level 10
need to finish pathing block before the alpa public release

Have you tried using the Jass Newgen world editor? You can use several more tiles and also make any tile that you choose unwalkable or unbuildable. It's really helped me a lot to make better terrain. I used to be really terrible, but being unrestricted has helped me grow in ability

Last edited:
Level 10
Omg That Minas Tirith look so good ! Wow fantastic work there ! Very well made terrain!

Thank you Valandil! I was inspired by the way you used those rocks to make the central rock in Minas Tirith. I'm going to be redoing a lot of the terrain to have more chokeholds and passages. I've been looking at azeroth wars, I really like their style of terrain. If you get the time you should just grind out a playable terrain for your map, I want to see how your game works

Level 10
i will definately follow this one ;)
did you already find an alternate solution for your platforms?

Why thank you Gimli! I did indeed find a solution. I was using close to 1000 of them before what with all the bridges and walkable walls. I am now using them in a much more efficient manner with larger platforms instead a bunch of tiny ones and i only need to use 100 at most. It had made a significant difference! Also, the a random hiveworkshop member offered his help with terrain without me asking for it so i accepted and hes helping me fill out some of the areas he has more knowledge about and I'm helping him with triggers, so its all looking good so far.

Level 9
Why thank you Gimli! I did indeed find a solution. I was using close to 1000 of them before what with all the bridges and walkable walls. I am now using them in a much more efficient manner with larger platforms instead a bunch of tiny ones and i only need to use 100 at most. It had made a significant difference! Also, the a random hiveworkshop member offered his help with terrain without me asking for it so i accepted and hes helping me fill out some of the areas he has more knowledge about and I'm helping him with triggers, so its all looking good so far.

Very good news! Also I think working in the team help with the inspiration. Will you host a beta tests ?

Level 17

great! you really need to take care about efficiency, not only with terraining but also with triggers. you have a huge map with many units.

Status
Not open for further replies.