• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crystal Chaos (Mini Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
620x140BannerArt.jpg

I have been spamming the forums with questions lately, it's been a while since I made maps and thus forgot a lot of crap.
I'm here to announce the upcoming map Crystal Chaos, as you might have guessed it's about crystals and it's in utter chaos.
This is a small mini game I made to get back to map making.

Beta Recruiting
:

The game is now able to be tested by the general public, it's an attachment on this post. (Take note it's protected.)
Please test the map (more then 2 players is fun but it does support boring singleplayer). And give some good input on what you thought of it and what should go or stay.

It would be nice if you can come up with some things I should implant to improve this game.

Information:
It's a 8 player mini game where you control a crystal golem, your goal is to simply get the highest score.
You'll get points by gathering crystals that are dropped across the arena.
But the cold crystal environment is dangerous, spawning bolts of ice. You'll have to avoid them, which is actually easy.
But not for long, next to the crystals that drop you'll also be able to pick up power ups, traps and skills.
All to help you defeat the enemy.

Screenshots:
It's a freaking mini game, I can only give you the screen shot of the arena. :p The loading screen is not yet able to be shown as I have yet to finish that. :p

Attachments

• Arena (Screenshot 1).jpg
    Arena (Screenshot 1).jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Map Preview.jpg
    Map Preview.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Crystal Chaos V0.0016 - Protected.w3x
    837 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Level 28
It's a good project, but it's clearly in a very early stage.
There are only a few crystal types (Green, Red, Blue and Black if I'm correct).

Review:

General

General:
  • Bad description in-game
  • It is indeed boring in Single, but it's meant for Multiplayer, so that's no problem.
  • It reminds me of the "Bunny Catch"-game (or something like that), where you had to collect eggs to get points.

Gameplay:
  • As said before, it resembles another mini-game
  • It's pretty good, though... it's fun when playing with 4+ people (even 2-3 is nice)
  • It can be improved, maybe add some game-modes.
  • An AI could be useful (for testing).
Terrain/Objects

Terrain:
  • Not really much to add, it's really good for a mini-game and it fit the map perfectly.

Objects:
  • I didn't see a Black/Green Crystal Trap (?)
  • There aren't a lot of objects, but the one that were there were finished.
  • Add more crystals/runes.
  • Maybe add spells? You've probably already thought about this...
Overall

It's clearly not finished, but it certainly isn't bad at all.
Add more variety in the game, add the description (!), maybe add a game-mode and it's certainly a good mini-game.
Don't try to make this too epic, though... it's supposed to be a mini-game ;)

Rating: 3/5

Reason:

Well, it's a good game, but not really something you want to play every day.
It's good that you start mapping again, this map

Crystals:
  • Black Crystal Trap: Stun (about 2-3 sec)
  • Green Crystal Trap: Poison (-1 point when picking up crystals or something, exception: red crystal)
  • White Crystal: + 1 Point, Random 1 - 10 HP / Trap: All Ice Bolts will move to you for a few seconds
  • Yellow Crystal: +4 Points / Trap: Confusion (your Golem will move randomly, while you can't control it for a few seconds).
  • Orange Crystal: +6 Points / Trap: Double damage from Ice Bolts

Runes:
  • Protection Rune: Ice Bolts deal only half damage
  • Crystal Rune: All crystals within a small AoE are gained (only show the total amount of points gained, instead of the points for every single crystal).

Glyphs:
(new thing... might be interesting, it affects the whole terrain.)
  • Glyph of Chaos: Summons 5-10 Ice Bolts
  • Glyph of Blinding: Sets a filter with only about 50% visibility for all players, so it's harder to get crystals/avoid ice.
  • Glyph of Peace: Removes all ice bolts (very rare)
  • Glyph of Wealth: Increases the points given by crystals for all players.
  • Glyph of Speed: Increases the speed of Ice Bolts

Titles:
(Doesn't do anything actually, it's just for fun... unless you've got an idea for it.)
  • Trap Master: Be the one who has placed the most traps
  • Rune Master: Be the one who has used the most runes
  • Suicide Master: Be the one who hit the most traps
  • Tank Master: Be the one who hit the most Ice Bolts
  • Dodge Master: Be the one who hit the least Ice Bolts

Spells:
  • Devour Crystal: Eats a crystal to gain hit points equal to the points of the crystal * 2
  • Slow Bolts: Slows all ice bolts within a small AoE

Notes:

The ideas are purely ideas, non of them have to be used, but it might inspire you. (They may be used, of course).

The review itself isn't really long, because it is an unfinished mini-game.

I hope this is what you meant with "Feedback", sorry for the wait - I had to call a friend to play this.

Level 17
That's very good feedback, that plus the feedback of Zelda.Alex and my official testing crew provides me with enough things to improve this map.
And there were 2 spells ingame, it was that I forgot to edit the spawning trigger to spawn them. >.>

- Ice Trail, will create an trail of ice behind you, working like a wall that will damage you if ya get close.
- Crystal Bolt, just a firebolt with different effect >.< It stuns you.

To keep this post short: good review, some unique as never heard that suggestion form previous testers. I'll be sure to include some of those features. I like glyphs. And those new crystal idea's I was stuck on those. (White one is going to be so much fun.)

Status
Not open for further replies.