• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] (1) Desert Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D

Desert Siege

204270-albums4725-picture64320.png

Desert siege is a defense/mini-game type of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne map. Your objective is to never let a single demon pass through the Transport Circle.

Gameplay

-There are 15 levels to surpass in this map.

-Critters will spawn alongside with the creeps. These critters are disguised demons. They walk fast and are small so that you will not be a ble to catch and kill them. As they reach the transport circle, they transform into a demon and will be transported somewhere. You should not let them reach the transport circle.

-Kill creeps and critters to get golds so you can buy items. Some items can be upgraded up to 4 times. (I will be updating this map so other items can be upgraded, too.)

-you are only given three lives. If you have consumed these three, you will lose the game.

-The map has three difficulty levels: easy, normal, and difficult.

ScreenShots

204270-albums4725-picture64323.jpg
[/img]

204270-albums4725-picture64324.jpg

204270-albums4725-picture64322.jpg

Credits

Thank you to those who would like to test, give comments, criticize, and review this map.

I would like to put this map here so I can get some more ideas. I would also like to ask some help to those who can create icons for item upgrades of the following items which are included in the map:
Periapt of Vitality
50, 150, 300, 500 life given
Circlet of Nobility
2, 5, 10, 20 to all stats
Claws of Attack
9, 12, 20, 50 damage
Ring of Protection
4, 9, 15, 20 defense

The Map: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/1-desert-siege-227568/?prev=status=p

For those who would like to help, you can just post here or PM/VM me.

MEMBERS:
Terrainer - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/hooody/
Testers:
1. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/rulerofiron99/
2. ?
3. ?

Last edited:
Level 25
Looks promising.

Initial thoughts:
  • change the camera lock - camera jumps
  • spells have different colour schemes
  • change the door opening from up arrow to region entry
  • locked camera is annoying to play with, maybe lock camera to a region that follows the hero? Personally I'd like a normal warcraft camera, though.
  • second spell icon doesn't have a border D:
  • critters give a lot of gold, i could quickly buy a lot of items
  • you should ping the minimap when and where the creeps start to spawn
  • upgraders can't be bought with full inventory
  • change the "escape attempt = X" text, to e.g. "A [unit name] has escaped! X units have managed to escape."
  • bug: if you kill enemies at spawn point, the end of round is triggered
  • Abettor instantly kills
  • enemy waves are quite boring - spawning at constant intervals, small spider -> ranged spider -> big spider. You should vary levels between spawning groups, spawning elites, and so on. Also, more demonic foes instead of spiders! (I played on easy)
  • Shop is quite far from battle, easy to leak while shopping

Bugs aside, what I would like to see:
- More player heroes
- More items

A system you could use for upgrading: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-right-click-item-recipe-1-03-a-227350/
(change upgrading: player must drop an item on an item of the same type to combine them into the next level)

Looks promising.

Initial thoughts:
  • change the camera lock - camera jumps
  • spells have different colour schemes
  • change the door opening from up arrow to region entry
  • locked camera is annoying to play with, maybe lock camera to a region that follows the hero? Personally I'd like a normal warcraft camera, though.
  • second spell icon doesn't have a border D:
  • critters give a lot of gold, i could quickly buy a lot of items
  • you should ping the minimap when and where the creeps start to spawn
  • upgraders can't be bought with full inventory
  • change the "escape attempt = X" text, to e.g. "A [unit name] has escaped! X units have managed to escape."
  • bug: if you kill enemies at spawn point, the end of round is triggered
  • Abettor instantly kills
  • enemy waves are quite boring - spawning at constant intervals, small spider -> ranged spider -> big spider. You should vary levels between spawning groups, spawning elites, and so on. Also, more demonic foes instead of spiders! (I played on easy)
  • Shop is quite far from battle, easy to leak while shopping

Bugs aside, what I would like to see:
- More player heroes
- More items

A system you could use for upgrading: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-right-click-item-recipe-1-03-a-227350/
(change upgrading: player must drop an item on an item of the same type to combine them into the next level)

Thank you for these suggestions.

Level 12
That list is veeeery long and I don't want wasting my time just looking for those icons I need. Please, help me if you find one.

mmmm.. i meant, on the link i gave you, it's a list of circlets available on hive..
so i think you might want to use any of those circlets for your upgrades.\

EDIT : hey look, spammed timer :)

and spiders don't really fit with the theme of the map :/

Attachments

• Spammed Timer.jpg
    Spammed Timer.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Level 12
@eubz maybe you didn't go near the spawn point ? each spider killed showed me a text "the round is cleared" or something like that and spawn me a timer.

bug: if you kill enemies at spawn point, the end of round is triggered
your choice of words are too mainstream xD

EDIT : and sorry, eubz. i can't give more feedbacks, it's because rulerofiron99 already spotted all of them. the game itself is quite boring.

enemy waves are quite boring - spawning at constant intervals, small spider -> ranged spider -> big spider. You should vary levels between spawning groups, spawning elites, and so on. Also, more demonic foes instead of spiders! (I played on easy)

Last edited:
Level 30
I'm not sure what version this is but to my rating on your map in the pending section this will do:

-game play is kinda symmetric like wait and attack only type of game, make it more thrilling and valuable for replay value, the creeps difficulty is all right but is it me or the creep's have only changed model and size and has the same chracteristics(via hp, damage,armor) until level 5-6?, also when a enemy creep reaches its destination and has morphed into a felguard, give it at least a few seconds(5-8 seconds) for it to disappear so you have the chance to kill it when too much waves have already come inside your circle of power

-I can actually destroy the barracks where my allies comes in not sure if that's hows going to be but it does give it a ability 'invulnerable' so that players won't bust it by objectless matter

-the ability 'abettor' can actually instant kill a single enemy, not sure but please check it out

-there is a time when I reach level 4-5? I spawnkilled an enemy in front of the portal and then it started showing the 'Enemies spawn in' board please fix it

-few items and most of them are + damage and armor

all in all the game play needs more addons the terrain seems fair I still don't know what version this is so I'll only remember it by date line by uploaded 02:54, dec 25 2012 to last updated 02:54, dec 25 2012

good luck with the updates my friend :)

Level 30
oh wait I think the problem in my 3rd encounter is that the trigger functions itself when the wave starts and no one is left it will start a new wave, that's why when I killed the first creep from the first wave it thinks that I actually killed all of them but the process of the trigger still continues to spawn the specified numbers of creeps going out for that wave, or is it just my theory XD

So... where to begin?

The map is playable. Definitely playable. But it lacks variations in gameplay. It's just: wait for enemies to spawn, block the archway and kill them off one by one. Plus cast the second spell on the critter when he gets near. Game events were just some more attacking and casting spells, only without allies to tank for you.
It's a single player map, so filesize shouldn't be a problem, but I don't see a single imported model. Import them for terrain, to begin with. A single player map requires an awesome terrain. Period. Then, import them for enemies. Blizzard-made models are over-used and dull.
Hero doesn't really make any sense. Concept: Far Seer with two ice spells, and two summonings. Summons fit with him more or less. But ice? I mean, it doesn't freeze them, it just does damage, so you could basically use anything, I don't get why ice. Lightning would fit better with Far Seer. Aside from concept, there are more problems. He is ranged, so what use does he have from an AoE around hero damage? Plus, it isn't the whole AoE. Plus, it deals damage over time, so you need to stay near the enemies. I liked the second one, it's great for the critter and for both events. Third is kinda simple, and kinda useless, because wolves are very weak, and you already have allies to tank for you. Ulti was good, although it takes some aiming, it does massive damage.
And now, the items. They are good, I liked that the icons fit with each other (especially on last tier :3 ), but they are too simple, basic and blizzard-made.

All in all, this can be a great map, but it just isn't at a time.

Furthermore, I would be delighted to help you with anything related to this map. Contact me if you want. +Rep and best regards from me, mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.