• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Defence of Minas Tirtih

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Make the walls destroyable it will be more fun and realistic and add building system like in BFME.

Level 4
Make the walls destroyable it will be more fun and realistic and add building system like in BFME.

I like the wall idea, thanks!

I don't have 'damaged' models (or animations) for the walls/towers, could prob use blizzard dalaran models. the actual walls are also terrain based (cliffs) so unless there is a way to add a 'reduce cliff level by 2' effect to attacks, i don't see the orcs blasting holes in the wall.

also, what exactly do yo mean with 'building system'. trebuchets etc. yes, but this isn't really a melee map, more of a rpg-turns-into-a-defense/attack-later-on kinda vibe...

I am however considering using that 'squad' system in resources... hmmm

Level 15
when a section of the wall "suffers" certain amount of damage (put an invisible locust unit there for instance; when it's killed, the wall suffers that damage), anyone on the wall will be teleported down from it. some rubble doodads, smoke and fire would come in handy, to show that this part of wall was destroyed. entering the rubble would teleport the unit to the other side of the ruined wall. clunky, but effective.

Now, other stuff:
Gandalf
1) Make "Mount Shadowfax" a unit ability for him. It's not worth it, to use up a hero ability spot for such an epic character with such spell.
2) Ability names could be better, honestly. "Beam of Light" could be renamed "Light of Valinor", for instance, or "Light of Valar", or "Radiance" or whatever. Same for "Wizard Blast".
3) Gandalf was a fire mage. Some powerful fire spell (or maybe even two - single target and AoE) would be suitable.
4) According to book, presence of Gandalf instilled his fellow soldiers with courage and made them resistant to terror of Nazgul. Some kind of aura - Devotion-based perhaps - would be suitable.

Aragorn
1) Aragorn could have some sort of inspirational aura too. Both in book and movie he was a born leader. "Banner of Isildur" or "Heir of Isildur" would be a good name for it.
2) "Athelas" could be renamed to "Hands of the King" or rather a direct quote from the book (don't have the book near myself atm). His healing powers came from his heritage, more than from the herb.
3) "Weapon Switch" should be an unit ability for all heroes, IMO. Both versions should innately be equal.
4) "Anduril" - single-target damage bonus ability, based off Searing Arrows, melee. Becomes "Elven Bow" (yeah, lousy name) in ranged mode.
5) Aragorn was best among the Rangers. Wind-walk based ability would be suitable for him.
6) some Roar- or scroll-based AoE buff would be nice. See the part about born leader =)
8) He wasn't Ithilien ranger. He was Arnor ranger.
9) I've missed 7)

Legolas
1) "Elven Lore" for damage boost ability is a bit meh.
2) An tricky idea - "Rival Friends" - Gimly and Legolas deal more damage when are close to each other. Even more tricky idea would be to add a kill counter to each of them and increase the damage of the one who has less kills (as if he tried to keep up with his rival)
3) add some invasion-based ability (possible with crit chance component) - "Elven Grace" or "Fleet of Foot" or something - Legolas was exteremely good at dodging enemy attacks.
4) "Elven Sight" - increases sight range and attack range with each rank. Possible adds true sight. Superriority of elven eyesight is stated numerous times in the book.

Gimli
0) There's a rather famous Gimli skin in the database (ah, found it!)
1) "Baruk Kazad!" or "Kazad Ai-menu!" (don't rememeber the actual quote) or "For Kazad-Dum!" - based off either Howl of Terror or Taunt. also grants Gimli bonus armor based on amount enemies within the shout's range. Regular ability.
2) "Dwarf-Forged Armor" - ultimate. Based off Hardened Skin.

Theoden
X) Regarding trample: you may make it so Rohirrim have their collision reduced to 0 when they charge (although it would be tricky to make sure they won't overlap with each other) and any unit they pass through suffers big damage and is stunned (instead of knockback)

Faramir
1) "Mount Horse" - see "Mount Shadowfax" and "Weapon Switch"
2) Ultimate - "Rangers of Ithilien" - summons a retinue of Ithilien rangers.

Boromir
1) In fact, Boromir was already dead by the time of Battle of Pelennor =/
His willpower also was a bit low - he was the first to be corrupted by the One Ring.
2) Ultimate - "Strength of Men" - men are usually a very strong race in Tolkien's writings (especially those with numenorian blood) and Boromir is by far one of the strongest.
Passively increases strength by BIG amount.

Merry
-1) Where the hell is he? >:|
Ah, noticed "More to come". =))
Ok, here's the idea:
1) Agility DPS.
2) Can mount Eovin's horse (when she's mounted), losing his own abilities, but granting her bonus damage and armor.

Eovin
1) Her damage increases when Thoden's health decreases.
2) can mount up/dismount

Eomer
1) Strength DPS. A tough one.
2) Gets great damage buff if eovin dies.
3) "Battle-Song of Rochirim" - damage boost aura

Evil heroes:

Balrog
-0) He was dead by that time. Oh, nevermind. With Boromir, Saruman and corporeal Sauron he fits right in.

Saruman
-1) "Voice of Saruman" - based off charm.
-2) "Flamestrike" - based off Frost Nova - seen is director's cut of the movie.
-3) If you follow movie more than book, "Summon Uruk'hai" could be based off Raise Dead - if he can create them from earth, creating them from flesh should be easier.
-4) "Crawling Flame of Orthank" (can't remember the actual quote) - destroyes several segments of the wall in spectacular explosion. Could be an ultimate.

Units:
1) Magic is extremely rare in Middle Earth. Having mage mercenaries is... weird.
2) It's Militia, not Malitia, Illuvatar damn it.

That's it for now. Enjoy. BTW, are you basing it more on book or on movie?

Last edited:
Level 4
Geez, thakns dude! this is awesome stuff!

Regarding Boromir/Saruman, the map is 'as it could have happened' (development). This kinda answers the question regarding my sources, book/movie. Well, both.. movie more for aesthetics and books for lore. (also considered using lore from The Hobbit (Thorin Oakenshield) and The Silmarillion (Morgoth, Fëanor etc. Need more baddies, what was that spider called again?)

I like the wall thing, seems like good way to do it. I also agree with the weapon/mount statements. Wasting an ability would be, well a waste... XD

The Merry/Eovin and Legolas/Gimli abilities are sick!

Goin home in the holidays, my books are there... Still need to properly think through the whole 'story' bit of the game. Hence this thread! Thanks to you, this map will be much better, Thanks! +rep (as much as i can give, which is only 1 unfortionately)

Level 15
Spider was called Shelob.

Just don't put Morgoth in, he would just WTFROFLPWN both armies =)
(or you can make an ultimate for Sauron, something like "Grace of Morgoth", killing all non-heroes within small range.

If you need more baddies and don't mind the lore too much, Bolg was leader of Misty Mountain orcs in The Hobbit. His personal guard were also exceptionally big orcs, could serve as elite units. Smaug the Dragon could be there too. Don't forget wargs and black spiders. And Umbar pirates.
Nazgul better be separate heroes. They are powerful enough.
There also were Ugluk, commander of Uruk'hai and Grishnath, commander of Mordor orcs in Rohan.
Grima could also be a weker unit, capable of charming enemies though.
Saruman would also be good with a slowing aura (reducing both attack and movement speed), called "Soothing Speeches" or "Soothing Lies"

Don't forget, on good side there also was a whole bunch of heroes (or you may rather make them just very tough units). Don't forget Elladan and Elrohir, sons of Elrond, perhaps Elrond himself, Halbarad the Ranger, Imrahil and his knights, Eomer, Elfhelm, Gamling, Grimbold, Erkenbrand and Hama of Rohirrim, Radagast and all those people whom Aragorn brought from villages of Gondor =)))

Level 4
Spider was called Shelob.

not Shelob, (but suppose using Shelob as a hero would be better... time-wize at least) I was thinking of the other spider. the one in the first age, that helps to steal the light from one of the tower things (I think this is what happened??! Its in the first part of Silmarillion if i'm not mistaken (before elves come to Mid Earth)... Can't remember though, read it like 5 years ago...XD ).

lol, suppose Morgoth would kill everyone... (like that Sauron Ultimate idea though)

RE: mages, mage is probably not the right word to use... only really wanted them as healers initially (either elven of human - elves always have healers (in any fantasy anything!) for humans, think Houses of Healing in Gondor, or something like that. surely someone 'works' there, like a 'nurse' or something.) Will change names...

Finally, I'm heading home today... got all my old books and things there, so i'll go set up proper hero/unit (and spell/abilities) lists. [been working on basic map functions; terraining, Imports and basic systems (gates etc.) mostly]

Internet is a bit slow at home, so I might not be on THW as regularly. Anyway, I'll try post the updated lists a.s.a.p.

Thanks again for the input!

Level 15
Ah, that spider was Ungoliant... you don't want her in your map, she appeared to be more powerful than Morgoth in fact...

Level 4
Shelob it is then! (could use same ulti principle as Morgoth/Sauron thou)

regarding the uber hero's: I was thinking about adding them just for the hell of it! set up a game mode with 'legendary' heroes (and creeps maybe..?!); one with 3rd age heroes (creeps) and one in between somewhere.

the city is more like a template then... Don't think this is happening any time soon though

Level 15
Had a look on models you need. Here what I found:

Troll Drummer (yeah, it's two-headed and skin ain't perfect for it, but ogres (one-headed at least) really look like trolls from LotR)
Lurtz (click "скачать")
Balrog (he was described as being winged and serpentine; some fiery sword attachment may be good)

Side quests (evil):
1) Gather heads of the fallen defenders of Osgiliath (if all evil players together gather like a 100 of heads, catapults may shoot heads, dealing lower damage, but stunning defenders, as those a striken with shock, fear or grief.
2) Create barricades on the road from Rohan (click "скачать")
3) Kill Ithilien Ambushers, hiding behind your forces

Level 4
thanks dude! (especially for the quest ideas!)

been busy with real life lately, haven't got much done.... also going on holiday with the family soon............

bust making a comprehensive unit/spell list. will post it when i'm done!

thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.