• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Defence of Minas Tirtih

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
The Ultimate Defense of Minas Tirith

BACKGROUND:

This map seeks to remake the Battle of Minas Tirtith as it could have happened. The basic idea is the same, Gondor is under attack and the forces of good have to defeat/outlast the forces of evil.

[Please Note: that this map is NOT supposed to be an exact remake of the ballte as in the book/movi, so please dont tell me Aragorn was not there, I KNOW THAT!]

Hello, I thought I'd add some background info.

Where to start....??!

Okay, I am a fan of J.R.R Tolkien's, Lord of the Rings novels (I am sure many of you are!) and WAR III is still my favorite game of all time. (Starcraft coming in a close second! What can I say, I prefer orcs to aliens...) Anyway, I searched far and wide for a good Defence of Minas Tirtih map for Warcraft III and all the maps I found were, well, average...

(Please Note: I'm really sorry if I just offended you! I obviously have not seen all the attempts at this map in the world!!)

So, I decided to go ahead and make one. The basic idea behind this map being a castle defense based on the LOTR series, but with a couple of tweaks. For example, playable heroes include not just Gandalf and Pippin, but many others too. (Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Faramir, Theoden etc.) Also, the city includes many buildings that can be entered, where special units (e.g. elf archers/dwarf warriors) can be trained and items bought etc. [I'm also contemplating 'side quests'; for example Pippin has to go light the Beacon before the 'Rohan Arrival' timer starts.]

Now, I have never used the editor before, but thought, "come on, how hard can it be?" I signed up to the Hive Workshop and your tut's are amazing! Really good! I have since discovered how to do 'pretty' terraining, how to make custom units/spells/doodads (with custom imported models!) and lots more.

If this map is to be awesome, I'm going to need some help. Please comment on the idea and other available resources, any input is greatly valued!

THE IDEA:

Minas Tirith, the last remaining stronghold of the Men of Gondor, is under attack by the Forces of Mordor.
Select any your of favourite Lord Of the Rings characters and help defend against the evil at the gates!

Alternatively, select your favourite 'Evil' character and crush the resistance in the name of the Dark Lord, Sauron.

The map has an 'get ready' period before the battle starts, in which players can choose to complete side quests, explore the world and find unique items or ready their forces. After this first stage which lasts a few of minutes, the trumpets sound, catapults roll in, the bombardment starts and the battle has begun!

I came up with this idea after I tweaked some extra heroes into an already existing Minas Tirith Map. Come on... playing With Gandalf and Pippin only goes that far and becomes boring quite quick. A friend and I played the tweaked map a couple of times (on LAN) and really enjoyed it, however the map was still very basic (the main reason for tweaking in the first place!) with only so much to offer.

I then decided to attemt making the "Ultimate Battle of Gonor" (name still debetable) in which all your favourite Lord Of the Rings characters can help defend against the swarms of Mordor in a City that looks as close as possible to the one in the movie. (Come on, we have all seen that place, ITS NUTS!)

The map also incorporates a kind of RPG feel in that players can explore the city and the surrounding countryside in search of things that can aid them in the fight to come. Hire extra mercenaries as a personal body guard or complete a quest and receive an unique item.

The idea is that extra things like units, items and events (that were not in the original stroy) can be included to provide players with a more comprhensive gaming experiance.

Well, that is the long and the short of it!

HELP & RECRUITMENT:

Any help will be much appreciated!

To see the recruitment forum, please follow this link:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/project-recruitment-256/ultimate-defence-minas-tirtih-180431/

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

mckill2009 - help with spell design
Zypo88 - help with triggers and spell design

MORE SCREENSHOTS HERE:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/project-recruitment-256/ultimate-defence-minas-tirtih-180431/

Good:
Gondor is under attack, Souron seeks to sack Minas Tirith. You must defend it! Pick a hero and ready your forces, this will be the battle of our time! Outlast the Orc onslaught and prevent the orcs from taking the city till help arrives.

Evil:
The realm of Gondor is weak, far flung from its former strength. The time of Men is about to end, You can sence their fear. Crush this "White City" in the name of Sauron and let the age of the Orc begin! Reach the White Tree of Gondor at the top of the city and destroy it before you are overwhelmed.

This map features an RPG style free-roam period before the battle starts. During this time players should explore the world and complete quests to aid them in the upcoming battle. Quest rewards include items [like legendary weapons and armour] and 'events' later in the game [like arrival times of reinforcements, shop availability and arena-style fights].

When the timer runs out, the battle starts. Players should probably focus on the fight as completing quests then, whilst still beneficial, might leave them falling behind in strength/power. Player level goes up to 40. All heros have 1 skill and 4 abilities/spells. Spells go to level 4 and all characters have a 'increase stat point' option on level up.

As the battle continues, reinforcements will arrive for both parties. The Rohirim and Mumakil will take the field whan their respective timers reach 0.

In order to win:
Gondor must survive till the army of the dead come.
Mordor must destroy the White Tree before the army of the dead come.

[Note: Quests may have an effect on chronological order. Events should happen in the main stages 1 - 3]

Character Select

1 - Freeroam Time:
- Explore world
- Do quests to benefit you upcoming battle
- Sort out forces. (Defense/Attack plans)

2 - Battle Begins:
a) Battle Stage 1
- Mordor Cats Fire opening salvo (heads)
- Gondor Trebuchets start shooting
- Brief exchange as siege towers are readied
- Nazgul Arrive and destroy some Trebuchets and Men.
- Siege Towers move up to walls
- Small Battering Ram moves to gate
- Fighting on walls start
- Gondor must defend gate and walls

b) Battle Stage 2
- Grond arrives
- Grond moves to gate (takes 2/3 min)
- Gondor assembles forces defend plaza (good choke point...)
- Grond Breaks through Main Gate
- Fighting ensues.
- Mordor forces start to swarm the city and fight their way up.

c) Battle Stage 3
-Rohan Arrive
-Fight
-Mumakil Arrive
-Fight
-Army of Dead Arrive

3 - END

Quests determine the outcome of the following:

1 - Units:
Mercenaries available
Unit upgrades

2 - Nazgul:
Timing, duration and number of Nazgul attack.

3 - Siege Equipment:
Number of Siege Towers
Armour of Siege Towers and Small Ram
Gondor City Defense improvement (trebuchets and towers)
Mordor catapults - number of human heads
Gondor Trebuchets - increase number of Trebuchets on walls.
Braisiers - Orc Fire Arrows

4 - Grond Speed (60 seconds)

5 - Gondor Main Gate Health/Armour

6 - Reinforcement Events
Rohan arrival
Mumakil arrival
Army of Dead arrival

7 - Gondor set ambush
Mordor cover in protection of possible ambush
Mordor set berricades for Rohirim

GOOD:
Gondor Footman [Defend: + armour]
Gondor Archer [Fire Arrows: + damage & burn]
Fountain Guard [10 Foot Spear: + attack range]
Ithlien Ranger [Hide: cloak]

Gondor Cavalry [Trample: passive damage when close]
Rohirrim [Charge: Improved trample]

Trebuchet [Crumbling Shot: reduced, scatter dammage]

EVIL:
Orc Swordsman [Strength in Numbers: Orcs fight better in hoards, + health +health regen when in larger groups]
Orc Axeman [Strength in Numbers: Orcs fight better in hoards, + health +health regen when in larger groups]
Orc Spearman [Strength in Numbers: Orcs fight better in hoards, + health +health regen when in larger groups]
Orc Archer [Strength in Numbers: Orcs fight better in hoards, + health +health regen when in larger groups]

Attack Troll [Cleave: hits multiple targets]
Drummer Troll [War Song: + attack +speed]

Mumakil [Tusk Strike: area damage]

Siege Tower [load/unload]
Catapult [Heads/Fireballs]

All heroes have 4 abilities (i.e. uses mana) and one skill (cooldown only) as well as a stats increase optoin on level up.

Intelligence, melee

SKILL:
Mount/Dismount - Allows Gandalf to mount/dismount Shadowfax. (Mounted = increased speed, damage and health, can NOT cast Fire Storm or Force of Istari)

ABILITIES:
Force of Istari - Gandalf summons a force to damage and knock back opponents in a small area infront of him.

Light of Valinor - Gandalf summons a beam of pure light to damage and stun a single opponent.

Strengh of the Maiar - Gandalf inspires friendly troops to fight with renewed vigour and decreases the effect of Nazgul Shriek

Fire Storm - Gandalf summons a mighty inferno around himself and damages all enemies within a certian range.

White Wizzard - Stats increase

Agility, meele (& ranged)

SKILL:
Summon Ent - Pippin can call on the help of an Ent to aid him in combat.

ABILITIES:
Longbottom leaf - Smoking the 'finest weed in the south farthing' allows Pippin to forget his injuries (heal).

Lorien Cloak - Combined with the Hobbits natural small size, Pippin can use the Elven cloak to temporarily become invisible.

Mischief - From years of being a little troublemaker, Pippin has learnt how to move quickly and nimbly. Increases movement speed and chanse to dodge attacks.

Stone Toss - Pippin seathes his sword and picks up stones to toss at enemies.

Citadel Guard - Stats increase

Agility, Sword & Bow

SKILL:
Change Weapon (Sword/Bow)

ABILITIES:
Envinyatar - Aragorn was known by many names, "The Renewer" was one of them. This spell allows aragorn to heal nearby allies.

Gud Daedheloth - Aragorn uses the Elven Hunting Knife given to him by Galadriel to inflict massive dammage on a single target. (spell name = inscription on blade)

Isildurs Heir - Grants leadership aura to nearby allies.

Strider - Rated as the best of the Arnor Sangers, Aragorn was renowned for his ability to move and survive in the wilds. Increase in health regen and movement speed.

Elven Lore - Stats increase

Strength, meele (only)

SKILL:
Unexpected alliance - Both Gimli and Legolas gain damage increases when fighting close together

ABILITIES:
Khazad-ai-menu! - ("The Dwarves are upon you!") Gimli rushes forward and deals radial damage in an area.

Buruk-Khazad - ("Axes of the Dwarves!") Gimli goes into battle rage, increasing dammage and health.

Throwing Axe - Gimli is deadly with his throwing axes. Single target damage and stun.

Axe Mastery - Gimli gains attack speed, passive

Durin's Decendant- Stats increase

Agility, bow (only)

SKILL:
Unexpected alliance - Both Gimli and Legolas gain damage increases when fighting close together

ABILITIES:
White Knives - Legolas quickly draws his knives and does melee damage to nearby enemies, slowing them for a short while.

Firstborn - Being an elf grants Legolas superior eyesight and reflexes. Increases sight range and agility.

Deadly Precission - Increases critical hit chanse and damage.

Elven Leadership - As a Prince and Captain of Mirkwood forces, Legolas grants nearby allies ranged units an increase in attack dammage and attack speed.

Prince of Mirkwood - Stats Increase

Agi, Bow

SKILL:
Stewards of Gondor - When Faramir and Boromir fight together they both recieve advantages.

ABILITIES:
Concerntrate - single target damage, damage based on mana used

Strategic Commander - Faramir increases the attack speed of nearby friendly ranged units.

Thinker - Faramir is more perceptive and a deeper thinker than Boromir. increases the rate at which faramir regenrates mana.

Ambush - Summons Ithlien Rangers.

Ranger Captain of Gondor - stats increase

Str, Sword & Shield

SKILL:
Stewards of Gondor - When Faramir and Boromir fight together they both recieve advantages.

ABILITIES:
Defensive Posture - Increases armour and block percentage.

Horn of Gondor - Nearby allies fight with renewed strength, nearby enemies confused/scared

Hier Apparent - Friendly units gain damage increase based on number of friendlies around Boromir when activated. The fewer allies the larger the damage increase.

Numenorian Blood - Passive Strenth increase

Infantry Captain of Gondor - Stats increase

Str, sword

SKILL:
Charge - Increases charge ability of all cavalry units.

ABILITIES:

Battle Fury - Increased attack speed and damage

Mighty Blow - Massive single damage attack

Trample - All enemy units close to Theoden suffer damage.

Kings Command - Increases, defense and attack of alllied units.

King of Rohan - Stats Increase

Str, melee

SKILL:
Horse Lord - Adds movement speed to all cavalry units near Eomer.

ABILITIES:
Spear Throw - single target damage (impale maybe) with stun/cripple

Future King - leadership aura (ideas?)

Trample - All enemy units close to Eomer suffer damage.

Eomer's Eored - summon Rohirrim riders

Chief Marshal of the Mark - Stats Increase

Int, melee. (summoner)

SKILL:
Mount Fell Beast - The Wichking can mount his Fell Beast, gaining a speed increase and 'flight' ability. (looses Black Breath and Wraith Form Abilities)

ABILITIES:
Fear - On of the Nazgul's most powerful weapons, the Fear they inspire that ruduce their enemies ability to fight.

Black Breath - Damage + Poison

Wraith Form - Increases miss chanse when hit

Nazgul - Summon Nazgul units.

str, melee

SKILL:

ABILITIES:
Mace Strike - Area damage attack

Twisted Presence - Saruman's presence is so corrupt and tainted the mortal men suffer just being near him

SKILL:

ABILITIES:

Attachments

• BattleIminent.jpg
    BattleIminent.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 831
  • Tavern (inside).jpg
    Tavern (inside).jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 583
  • City_ArcherWall.jpg
    City_ArcherWall.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 1,701
  • City_TrainingYard.jpg
    City_TrainingYard.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 687
  • City_Still_Empty.jpg
    City_Still_Empty.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Level 29
This idea is still in its infancy, and I have only constructed the City itself (i.e terraining and placing of doodads) and started importing custom models.

I could give you a hand/ideas, but at least you could give some screenshots, even if it still in its early stage...

EDIT:

I mean, screenshots 'here', not on other thread...

Last edited:
Level 4
Added some screens to this thread. Also updated the main post.

What did you have in mind?

Level 4
kickass!

Its gonna need some time to type up a complete spell list, but if you feel like starting on Gandalf that would be awesome.

Wizard Blast - Sends out a wave of crushing force, knocking enemy units back.
(like carrion swarm/crushing wave) but enemy units could go flying back when hit (kinda like barathrum's bash in DotA)

Light Blast - (the thing he hits the Nazgul with in the movie) so, single target damage with some form of light beam as animation [prob doable without GUI - just modify existing]

'You Shall Not Pass' - (should be obvious) Massive radial damage, possible knockback/stun ability

Mount Shadowfax - Gandalf gets on horse (I used the 'dismounted' Antonidas modes for Gandalf) so just the normal archmage/antonidas model would be perfect

[Alternatively - 'Lightning Strike' - sends destructive bolts of lightning (at random) into target area over time]

These are ideas only (as I said before, nothing is set in stone yet) you have Carte Blanche, go nuts! If you feel like making any spell that you think will fit the game and make it 'cool' please do so!

If you want the map, just let me know and I'll upload asap. got school now though... :(

Last edited:
Level 29
Wizard Blast

dude, Im not a JASS user so its this is kinda hard for me, I can do single knockback, but not multiple...

Light Blast - (the thing he hits the Nazgul with in the movie) so, single target damage with some form of light beam as animation [prob doable without GUI]

yeah I'll do this one...

'You Shall Not Pass' - (should be obvious) Massive radial damage, possible knockback/stun ability

I'll try this one too

Mount Shadowfax - Gandalf gets on horse (I used the 'dismounted' Antonidas modes for Gandalf) so just the normal archmage/antonidas model would be perfect

I believe that you need a custom model for this one, so I'm out for this spell

[Alternatively - 'Lightning Strike' - sends destructive bolts of lightning (at random) into target area over time]

this is really easy, I'll do this

Level 4
Sick, thanks!

you know anyone that knows JASS...?! got alot more spells and shiz to make some are really tricky :goblin_wtf:
almost done with complete list, at least what I have. i'll add it to the 1st post..

also,
if you want to try the Mount spell, I used this model for Gandalf:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ot-50459/?prev=search=mage&r=20&d=list&page=2

Need him to change to the normal Arch Mage on horse from WarIII. blizzard, water elemental, brilliance aura and mass teleport, that one... ;)

been busy with exams... haven't got much done lately. I have been brainstorming though... got some neat ideas, gonna take a while to get here, soz

EDIT: Added extended unit/spell discussions to main thread (under: "Units & Spells - Lists & Discussions")

Last edited:
Level 2
This looks like it could be fun. I can help out with some of the triggers and unit spells if you'd like. Just let me know what you still need.

Level 4
sweet, any help much appreciated!

haven't got much done recently. still need to update the spell lists. you can find discussions of hero's and abilities under "Units and Spells - List and Discussions" in here in the first post. if you feel like making spells, take your pick!

uum, i think mckill2009 is still doing Gandalf. haven't heard from him in a while...

otherwise, you could try this portal trigger (i'm useless at this stuff, can only do real basic things..) [in this thread, post #8]

Level 2
I'll see what I can do with the portal trigger, once I figure that out I'll let you know which spell set I start on.

Here are some suggestions for the models that you still need.
Use Mountain King from original game

This is the best human archer I could find on the hive http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/human-archer-65541/

I would use some of General Frank’s Blood Elf Models. For Example http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/bloodelf-phoenix-archer-48316/

Level 4
@ Zypo88 - geez, thanks for the input! I'll look into those model recommendations! that portal trigger sounds like a bitch. I'v never used hashtables before, so if you could do it, that would be awesome!

@ mckill2009 - its all good! no rush really, been busy with life myself! if you want to upload so long, go ahead!

also, take your time guys, i'm NOT in a rush to finish before Christmas! ;)

Level 2
Not sure if this is the most efficient way of doing it, but I couldn't find any tuts on hashtables (correction, I think I found one, but it was a bit beyond my JASS abilities). This is the basic version, you have to add six regions to your map for it too work and there are no special effects yet, but it gets the job done. I should be able to add a special effect like the one that wayports use, or if there's another effect you want instead just let me know.

Basically I created two practically identical triggers, one for each input portal. The trigger creates a local variable for the hero (so multiple units can use the portal without issues), teleports the hero to the shop, then waits for the hero to step on the exit portal, which then teleports him outside again. Right now it requires that the unit be a hero, so random orcs don't go on a shopping spree :grin: Obviously I can change that if you want me to.

I can start working on Aragorn's abilities now, let me know what model you are using for him and I'll look into getting a version with a bow (or at least finding one that's close enough). Any idea what sorts of values he'll need, I'm not very good at balancing :thumbs_down:

Attachments

• Multi-Teleport.w3m
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Level 4
sick-sick-sick!

cant wait to check it! unfortionatly unable to do so right now... I'm writing exams this week, so i kinda banned myself from any games etc... lol! anyway, I'll be done on Friday (05/12/2010), so i'll start up again then.

I i'm currently using this skin for Aragorn and the sword that fits the skin is here.

I did a bow search in models quick to see whats available. (just click it to see)

RE: values, don't know really... most of the units in the game are pretty similar to normal WC3 units health and damage wise... The only real major change is archer range which up to like 1200 in some cases (elven archer merc's and Legolas). One can always balance afterwards right?

o and also, + rep to you sir!
thank you for your help!

Level 4
@ Zypo88 - that teleport works perfectly, would that sound be possible? Also, I need like 8/9 instances of the same portal (8/9 differet buildings...) also, need two with 2 entrances on each side.. (i.e. 2 doors from left, 2 from right)

I'd make extras and change it myself, but its in JASS so don't really know what to do...

Level 2
Looking into the sound, it will be easy to add it, the hard part will be finding one we don't have to pay for. There's a site I used a few years ago with free sound effects, I'll just have to remember what it was called.

So, 9 shops with two entrances and 2 shops with four?

Level 4
Sweet, think it will add a nice touch. I'll keep on looking for that effect too and just PM you if I find it.

Just did a count, there are now only 7 singles [i.e 2 entrances (1 left/1 right) and the 1 exit] and 2 doubles [i.e. 4 entrances (2 left/2 right) and the 1 exit.

there might be one more later on, which involves a secret passage. However, I need you to tell me if it's even possible. This one might be harder tough, because if units use the secret passage they come out of the other building (one level higher/lower in the city).

For example, enter the Barraks in level 3, go through the 'secret passage' in the kitchen and end up in the tavern. Then exit the tavern and come out on the same side (left/right) but then out the 'new' building's exit on say level 4.

Level 2
Still looking at the Aragorn spells; pretty sure I know what needs to be done, now I just need to take the time to do it (may not be until December though, schools getting rough).

Here are the portals that you wanted, I'm double checking to make sure there aren't any leaks right now. When you put these in your map copy the regions first, then the triggers themselves. Once the map is further along I should be able to replace about half of the regions with temporary variables to cut down on memory use, but it will be harder to move them around after that, so we can leave them in for now.

Also, the sound that's in there right now was the closest I could find (not very good though, it's the gold mine). I've set it up so that the sound variable is set at map initialization, so you can easily change it in GUI and it will automatically update all of the portals.

From what I've seen anything is possible with JASS, if you know what you're looking for :goblin_yeah: That doesn't sound like it would be very difficult, I'll just need to figure out where the entrances and exits will need to be.

Attachments

• Multi-Teleport.w3m
    32 KB · Views: 72
Level 4
heya dude, thanks for the portals! they are awesome! will upload the real map when i'm done with all the random things that needs fixing!

Haven't had much time to work on the map lately... been really busy with real life. Also going on holiday soon.....

Maybe lay off doing spells etc. as i'm currently busy making a more comprehensive unit/spell list. (its about 60% done!)

I'v been getting help from Trillium with lore etc., making the names and effects better. (check this thread for more info)

will update the development thread with new info as soon as its done!

later

Status
Not open for further replies.