• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Munchkin Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Any of you ever played the card game Muchkin?
For you ppl who dont know it, its a card game that kinda parodies RPGs.
The thing that im thinking about implementing in a map, is the way it does classes and races. instead of picking one at the start, you start off as a classless human, but then while playing, you might get the Warrior card, for example. that would make you a warrior, and then later you might get the wizard card, and choose to discard the warrior card and be a wizard instead.

How do you think that would be in a WC3 map?
In short, everybody is the same type of hero, and you get all your abilities from items?

dab

dab

Level 10
I've played it, and yes, its quite amusing. Tho, it depends on HOW you create it. If you create it, DONT, for god sake, DONT mix cards and good RPG together. It only works in the real world. I'd suggest, more like a powerup or so, or possibly a NPC trainer if you want to switch class. Butthats just my oppinion.

Level 6
it will be much like a powerup. when you pick up, say, the wizard item, you get a mana boost and an elemental bolt ability. its like that for all the classes. then there is items which add abilities if you have a specific class, item which add abilities regardless of class, and normal equipment items. only the normal equipment items will actually take up inventory space.
Im still just messing around with some JASS trying to make the pickup triggers, but the basic framework should be done soon.

Level 8
i heard about it. I ever wanted to try it out, the map may be really interesting. Don´t fail it :)

Level 6
what im thinking about now is what sort of gameplay to base the map upon. Im thinking dungeon crawl, perhaps also making an AoS version or something. I definitely think dungeon crawl fits the munchkin theme better(and also mesh better with the system).
thoughts on that?

dab

dab

Level 10
what im thinking about now is what sort of gameplay to base the map upon. Im thinking dungeon crawl, perhaps also making an AoS version or something. I definitely think dungeon crawl fits the munchkin theme better(and also mesh better with the system).
thoughts on that?

Dungeon crawl sounds great :D. But create it like the munchkin system, where you don't know whats behind the next door/wall :thumbs_up:

Level 6
yes, i was thinking about that. using loads of regions, and triggers to spawn random mobs each time you enter a new region. then maybe create a timer, so every 10 minutes, a boss spawn in the next region that somebody enter. it would be great if we could add loads of different bosses, so you might not meet all of them in a single game. that would surely add to replayability.

Level 15
I've seen a model on hive, a destructible/unit Underground Cliff
with a lot of triggering one could make a randomly generated dungeon - diablo style =)
with randomly spawned mobs that would make a rarely seen map indeed =)

Level 6
can you link to this model?
because that would be SO awesome.
I just need a bit more triggering on the class/item system, then ill start some project recruitment.

Level 3
if you are using a system based on a cardgame, why not make your cards "saveable" alowing you to continue another time in another dungeon. while still keeping the cards you collected.

i'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you are thinking of, since i never played of heard of munchkin before but for any other tcg this could be great for making a shitload of cards, making some Extra rare cards and still have replay value.

Last edited:
Level 6
munhckin isn't a tcg. that sytstem wouldn't work at all.
for munchkin that is.
omg, that would be crazy awesome.
you seriously got my thinking gears rolling here....
that idea deserves rep!

Level 2
I just wanna wish you good luck if you decide to make this map because Munchkin is totally awesome in every way! ('boots of running really fast' anyone?)

Level 6
thanks man!
and yeah i agree. you tried the demented dungeons expansion? (dungeon of manga wrangling: all monsters with tentacles gain +5 against female players. if the munchkins cannot decide if a given monster has tentacles, send os a 10$ check, and well tell you)

Level 2
awesome, i am so getting some friends together next week to play, was awhile since last time.

Rabbit discard combo!

Level 6
it have turned out pretty well so far. im currently working on the random dungeon generation script, and it'll be done soon. im creating it in a nice flexible version so i can submit it on hive.
i have a couple other guys working on it too, we have threads here and here.
and btw, i noticed that quotidian discord follows a similar principle. idea theif! (just kidding).

Status
Not open for further replies.