• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Minigame Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Leme throw something out there...

umm... Tetris??? :p
IDK if its been done b4 or if it even can be done but it would be tight if there was one... maybe add ur own twists to it :D

Level 8
It is fun that you would say that, because I was working on a tetris map, untill I saw it had been done before.
When I noticed that it had allready been done, I was actually thinking of making it with twists, but the tetris movement system was hard to trigger and in the end I found out that it would be impossible to make twists in it, so I decided to put down the project.

However, I got my own idea of a knockback map.

Level 7
2D side scrollers are always fun. Maybe a multi player 2D side scroller shooter. Fight off the incoming zerg; at the end of every wave, there's a boss.

Level 3
What I think would be rather amusing would be a game based on pinball, where characters swing to imitate knockers. There would be specific spots or things to hit, giving points, with each character set on the board in a strategic location so that it would be possible to win. Whoever would get the most points would then win, but only if the pinball survives to the end of the round. (This is a variable condition, but the core idea is there)

Level 8
What I think would be rather amusing would be a game based on pinball, where characters swing to imitate knockers. There would be specific spots or things to hit, giving points, with each character set on the board in a strategic location so that it would be possible to win. Whoever would get the most points would then win, but only if the pinball survives to the end of the round. (This is a variable condition, but the core idea is there)

I've tried to make a pinball game aswell, soon figured out that the physics triggering that was needed would be a huge work to make.

Level 3
Hrm, that is a problem. You could always work something off Hide and Seek, with an added twist, but that's probably been done already.

Or some type of quiz game could work. xD

Level 3
Well, the questions are almost secondary. You can get them pretty much anywhere. xD
What's just as important is the game within the questions.

What are the consequences of answering a question right compared to answering wrong? Can you negatively or even positively affect your competitors in some way?
What's the theme of the quiz? How many questions would there be in a minigame? Is there a score you want a person to reach before the game is over? Should there be teams of people who answer questions? How are you fitting the minigame results within the entire scheme of the map? Is it to be a humorous type of quiz or do you really want to challenge the people within; there are people who would like both.

(I ask too many questions, but this is my logistics-side at work ^^;)

Level 8
i am voting for a Chess game with awesome special effects:)

Allready decided on a quiz, so it's too late.
And by the way, there is allready Soulchess...

@Glycine
I was thinking of it in a singleplayer or multiplayer game, where in singleplayer you must answer questions and try to get as far as possible, while in multiplayer, answering right would give you gold, which can be used to upgrade a hero/buy an army, to use against an opponent in randomed(?) fights. That would be one gamemode. Another one would be a normal quiz with lives. Last-man-standing wins!

Level 3
That works rather well. And there are lots of options under such a format, like:

Speedrun: Answer as many questions as fast as you can under the duration indicated, with each question giving gold. Special questions give buffs or equipment upgrades, if answered correctly. At the end of the duration, you only have one chance to buy units, then you fight until whoever remains at the end. (This is imperfect, so shape it as you will).

The Scales of Justice: Every question you answer wrong has a positive effect on another random player or a negative effect on your own units. Questions you answer right, in the like, can have a positive effect on your own units or a negative effect on other units. (This needs a better name)

Pick your Poison: Every question you encounter will inevitably cause something bad to happen to you or your team (should there be a team mode). All you can do is pick the best possible answer and hope that more people screw up than you.

Boss Domination: The quiz occurs as normal, except the players will use gold to upgrade heroes who will then fight bosses and their minions, round by round, in teams. The heroes need not be spectacular, but it makes for an interesting quirk. Each boss kill will give quiz points, but spread out according to damage amounts. (Healers would require a different system to give them a standard amount of points, should they succeed or fail). If the team fails to kill a boss, quiz points are deducted and/or the questions get harder by a degree, but they may try again.

The team who finishes the boss runs first gets a bonus amount of quiz points, but it is the total amount of quiz points at the end that decides the victor.

So those are just a few modes, how do they sound?

Level 8
That works rather well. And there are lots of options under such a format, like:

Speedrun: Answer as many questions as fast as you can under the duration indicated, with each question giving gold. Special questions give buffs or equipment upgrades, if answered correctly. At the end of the duration, you only have one chance to buy units, then you fight until whoever remains at the end. (This is imperfect, so shape it as you will).

The Scales of Justice: Every question you answer wrong has a positive effect on another random player or a negative effect on your own units. Questions you answer right, in the like, can have a positive effect on your own units or a negative effect on other units. (This needs a better name)

Pick your Poison: Every question you encounter will inevitably cause something bad to happen to you or your team (should there be a team mode). All you can do is pick the best possible answer and hope that more people screw up than you.

Boss Domination: The quiz occurs as normal, except the players will use gold to upgrade heroes who will then fight bosses and their minions, round by round, in teams. The heroes need not be spectacular, but it makes for an interesting quirk. Each boss kill will give quiz points, but spread out according to damage amounts. (Healers would require a different system to give them a standard amount of points, should they succeed or fail). If the team fails to kill a boss, quiz points are deducted and/or the questions get harder by a degree, but they may try again.

The team who finishes the boss runs first gets a bonus amount of quiz points, but it is the total amount of quiz points at the end that decides the victor.

So those are just a few modes, how do they sound?

Nice work!

I am thinking of making this inside SC2 now, since it is newer and got more options. Also, it is easier to make since I don't need to add custom spells. This is my main problem while making SC2 maps, that the data editor and I does not like eachother, and in the end, it does not work.
This requires more triggers, and should be much better.
What do you think?

Level 3
Well, my computer won't run SC2, so I'm sort of resigned to the fact I'm stuck on WC3 for the meantime. If you can get past the editor's quirks though, it might be a better map, because of the variety of options. Regardless of your decision, I'll keep giving ideas. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.