• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Invoker Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Invoker - Edited.pngInvoker MapInvoker - Edited.png
Hi there Hive
I been thinking of creating a map for the Invoker character in Dota, no I don't plan on following the Invoker system because that will just be insane :eekani:
The map will most likely be the story of the Invoker following
Quas. Wex. Exort. The essence of a storm. The heart of a blizzard. The soul of a phoenix. After his people were broken and scattered to the corners of the earth, Kael was left with only the relics of his once great world. Thirsting for vengeance, he sold his own soul to Ner'Zhul, and in exchange acquired near limitless power. Taking on the mantle of the Blood Mages of old, the Invoker strode into war with nothing but the elements at his command. He can fuse the elements into deadly incantations, tearing apart the very heavens in his fury. His genius knows no bounds, and the Sentinel shall come to know the rage of the Invoker.

but the information there is unsufficient, all I know that the enemy will be the sentinels

so let me show you the progress:
Hero: 100%
Spells: 80% (Have some bugs:sad:)
Items: 0% :eekani:
Story: 30% (The Background Story)
Terrain: 0% (don't have an idea what the terrain will be)

Features:
- Sphere System - is a system when the Invoker casts a spell, a sphere of the specific element will be required. 100% :grin:
- Interrupt System - is a system when the Invoker casts a spell and disturbed(attacked) the spell is broken(interrupted) - 100% :grin:

the reason why I have placed this in the Idea Factory is because I need ideas for the story of Invoker

Level 5
The backstory provided by DotA tells of Kael, The Invoquer, embracing the Lich King's dark magic to exact revenge on the Sentinels, wich, it can be assumed, are guilty of "breaking and scattering" Kael's people.
It also speaks of the "Blood Mages" as an ancient school of magic/order of mages. Revenge looks like the easiest of most fitting theme.

All that said, the first things that come to mind are the Spaghetti Westerns.
Their stories are ussually pretty simple. Focused on few characters, their "in the moment" personalities and the way they relate on-screen throughout the movie; quite opposite to for example, The Lord of the Rings, full of different characters and all their backstories explained as thoroughly as possible.

Following this scheme, Kael could reveal his real motive close to the end of the story (if that's the case, you should come with another reason for his revenge, like the death of his wife or the treason of his brother besides the defeat of his people). The main Antagonist should be revealed early on and have several encounters (not necesarilly battles) with the Protagonist.
It's a must that the characters closest to Kael should be untrustworthy and at least one HAS to change sides easily.

To every "lone gunman" and "man with no name" there's the "damsel in distress", of low moral sense or unethical profession, that sparks love and the sight of a distant hope in the troubled protagonist.

The other side of the "revenge coin" is the Montecristo/Assassin's Creed 2/Dishonored/19th Century style. With a, at least 2 times, more complex story; a whole lot slower; and a whole lot more characters (with greater backgrounds).

(*breathes*)

What is (most likely) the opposition of revenge as a theme? REDEMPTION!!!

For example, the story starts with Kael exacting his revenge on the Sentinels
Do you want to sttart with the end?!
The answer is: NO...

After completling his vengeance, Kael, finds nothing to live for (In Kill Bill, the Bride, finds her daughter, thus filling that void; she finds something better to live for). And that would be Kael's quest: to find something worth living.

In his quest, he sees the consequences of his mindless actions. He finds all the people whose lives he's ruined; he is deserted by his people when they see his incontrollable rage and bloodlust, when they realise the selfishness of his actions.

The one thing that pops to mind related to this theme is, Tales of the Jedi, the "Redemption" story arc.

Tales of the Jedi is a comic book series set in Star Wars around 5.000 years before SWIV when the Jedi meet the Sith for the First Time. There, the protagonist "does what he should" (no spoiler!!!) and is exiled to a deserted snowy world. At age 50-60 he's found by the daughter of "an important character" as he faces ultimate redemption.

Bottom-line: I think Revenge and Redemption are best suited for this character. Of course, you could go for a "rise to power" (Scarface, Joan of Arc) kind of story or even a tale of romance and tragedy (Romeo & Juliet).

The choice is yours.

I'm sorry the post is so long. I kinda got carried away.
Either way, Good Luck!!!

Level 12
Thanks alot man! :grin::grin::grin:

I finally have an idea for my map, it starts with the Lich King giving him the power of the elements/dark magic/Wex, Quas and Exort, whichever, and then having revenge on the sentinels, but instead using the power against the Lich King himself for destroying Quel'Thalas. It also includes him reconquering it with his new powers.

Level 5
Glad to help!

Just wanted to say a couple more things.

1. That, eventough your story doesn't bring anything new to the table, that doesn't mean it's not good. What'll probably matter the most is the HOW you tell the story and not the WHAT it's about, just like with the spaghetti westerns.

So always remember to focus on the Storytelling and the Characters in this particular campaign.

2. I'd be glad to help more! So don't be afraid to ask.

Great luck on the project!
I'll be waiting for updates!

Level 5
I believe your first idea was fine. I didn't mean to criticize, just give you some advice.
Focus on the characters and the little details that make a difference.

Imagine a car. The story is the "wheels", the characters are "the rest of the car". The story drives the characters trough actions for the viewers/players to see and, most importantly, feel.

I hope I didn't just say a maelstrom of unintelligible crap. XD
Anyways, no harm was meant and I hope no feelings were wroken.
Good luck! and I'll be looking for to seeing your updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.