• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tutorial on Hero Selections [Awaiting Improving: Ralle]

Level 5

Hero Selections

Hey guys, i have been away for a while and ive been busy on World of warcraft but im back and my old Hero selection got Graveyarded so im going to make another without memory leaks.

Terrain

1) Open up the World Editor. Go to Start>All Programs>Warcraft 3>Warcraft 3 World Editor.

2) Start a new map by clicking the new map Icon in the top left of your World Editor or press Ctrl+N. New Map.jpg And choose whatever size you want and tileset.

3) First thing i always do in maps is finish all the terrain before doing any triggers or units, so i as i'am making this tutorial it looks pretty much like we are going to do terrain first. So click on Apply Cliff:Increase One Cliff Increase.jpg and place it so you have a 8x8 tiles of cliff.

ATTENTION: Would you believe you are 1/6 done?

Units

4) You are doing absolutely great, but now for units, i will explain this so you wont get lost. Up top of the Warcraft 3 World Editor Map Interface you will see Module Click it and Click on Object Editor or hit the F6 key. Module.jpg then Module 2.jpg.

5) After, click on the New Custom Unit Icon Custom Unit ICON.jpg or hit Ctrl+Shift+N. Once the New Custom Unit box has popped up you will want to Change the Name to Hero Selector, Click on the Base Unit line drag down and select Night Elf and Select the Wisp (It should look like this Custom Unit.jpg) and then click ok.

6) Select your New Custom Unit in the Object Editor and delete the Abilities - Normal section by double clicking on this field, selecting detonate,click the Delete Ability button (do this for all abilitys) and then click ok.
(It should look like this Empty Abilities.jpg).
Scroll all the way down to the bottom and delete all the Techtree - Structures Built field just like you did with the Abilities field.
(It should look like this Empty Structures.jpg).
Last bit, just delete the Techtree - Upgrades Used field like you did with the Abilities field and Techtree - Structures Built Field.
(It should look like this Empty Upgrades.jpg).

You have just finished the Units Part.

7) Go back into the Warcraft 3 World Editors Map Interface so you can see your cliff and go onto the the Tool Palette and Select the Unit Palette in the drop down menu, then select Player 1 Red, change Human to Night Elf and change melee to custom then select a Hero Selector and place it in the middle of your cliff and then place a Start Location for Player 1 Red over your Hero Selector, then select Player 12 Brown and the Race Orc and Place one Hero called Blademaster near the edge of the cliff but not too far and then place a Start Location for Player 12 Brown over the Blademaster. Now change the Player 12 Brown to Neutral Passive and change the Melee to Campaign. Select the Smallest Circle of Power and place it just infront of the Blademaster.

ATTENTION: Would you believe you are 2/6 or 1/3 done?

Regions

8) Open the Region Palette in the Warcraft 3 World Editor Map Interface and in the drop down menu select the Region Palette and Click on the Add Icon (which looks like this New Region.jpg) then drag click a region inside the Circle of Power
(that you just placed and it should look like this Placed Region 1.jpg)
rename the Region by double clicking the region and changing the Present name to Blademaster and then place another region (like you did before) anywhere on the map
(it should look like this Picked Hero.jpg)
and rename the new region to Picked Hero (just like you did before with the other region).

ATTENTION: Would you believe you are 3/6 or 1/2 done?

Variables

9) Go back into the Trigger Editor and click on the Variables Icon Variables.jpg and then click on the New Variable Icon New Variable.jpg or hold Ctrl + N. Now make a Variable and name this Temp_Point and change the Variable Type to Point and click ok and it should look like this Finished Variables.jpg if so click ok again.

ATTENTION: Would you believe you are 4/6 or 2/3 done?

Triggers

10) This will be the most complicated part of the tutorial. First click on Module then Trigger Editor or hit the F4 key. Delete the Initialization Category and then make a New Category by clicking on the New Category Icon New Category.jpg or hold Ctrl + G, name this Hero Selection then make a New Trigger by clicking on the New Trigger Icon New Trigger.jpg or hold Ctrl + T, name this Blademaster.

11) Now put this Trigger Events - Conditions and Actions in your Blademaster Trigger in the Trigger Editor

• Blademaster
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Blademaster <gen>
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to Hero Selector
    • Actions
      • Unit - Explode (Entering unit) from the game
      • Set Temp_Point = (Center of Picked Hero <gen>)
      • Unit - Create 1 Blademaster for (Owner of (Entering unit)) at (Center of Temp_Point <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point)
      • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Entering unit)) to (Center of Picked Hero <gen>) over 0.00 seconds
      • Unit - Remove Blademaster 0000 <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
ATTENTION: Did you know you are 5/6 done?

Forces

12) Final bit guys, go back to the Warcraft 3 World Editor Map Interface and go to ScenarioModule.jpgScenario.jpg and then Player Properties change Player 12 Brown to Orc and then Computer then click on the fixed starting location box so its ticked for both Player 1 Red and Player 12 Brown (it should look like this after its finished Player Properties.jpg. Go to Forces on the next two tabs along and click on the Use Custom Forces and Fixed Player Settings boxes so they are ticked, now to the right you will see a Force one Alliance Settings click on the Allied, Allied Victory, Share Vision boxes so they are all ticked and then click ok (your finished Forces should look like this Forces.jpg).

ATTENTION: YOU ARE FINISHED!!! And have a Perfectly Well made Hero Selection With Circles of Power :) Give yourself a pat on the back.

Please do rep me if you use this or try it out as i did spend alot of my own time making this.

Finished Map is here: View attachment 29144.

For Further Help or if you are stuck on a part on this tutorial contact me on [email protected] and i will get back to you.

I really do hope you learned something and will become a Expert at Making Warcraft 3 Maps.

All the Best -Billy2-

Last edited:
Level 10
Billy2 there is already a tutorial with about 5 different ways of selecting heroes.
It seems your tutorial only shows one way. Make sure you tutorial hasent already been
made before you make one and it will be alot more successful. I wrote one on multiboards
and i dont think anyone has made an all-around tutorial for multiboards in english here.

I wish you the best of luck,
-inverted

Level 9
  • Events
  • Unit- A unit enters Gradial king
  • Conditions
    • Conditions - no Conditions ( Unless unit type )
  • Actions
  • Unit- Kill (Triggering unit)
  • Unit - Create 1 Gradial king for (Owener of (Triggering unit)) at (Your reigion(pick it)) faceing what you want
MORE EASY!!

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I would also like you to describe what the different parts of the trigger does. I know it's a how-to, but people should learn what it does and not just learn how to copy what other people do.
I am still considering whether or not we need more tutorials describing the same problem, how to make a hero selection system.