• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hero Selection

Level 5
Hey there i have made a couple of tutorials before and finally found the right place this time. Enough from that lets get started.

What i'am going to show you in this tutorial is a hero selection used in alot of maps.

Tip:Under Windows Brushlist Click on brushlist to stop waiting for long icon changes, names and pretty much everythink.

Terrain

1) Click the Blank page button in the top left hand corner

2) Nice and easy we are just going to make a small cliff select increase 1 from your tool palette

3) Once the tool is selected start to make a little cliff about as big as i have.

4) Once the cliff has been created go onto Neutral Passive and then on the tab underneath it click campaign under the selection. For new Mappers Neutral Passive is under the Player Tab.

Object Editor

5) Well done, now you will want to place 3 or how many you want small circles of power. Also go onto Object editor click on the wisp and press ctrl c then release when your mouse is highlighting the wisp icon then press ctrl v then release again (look at pictures below to see where to place).

6) In Object Editor click on the wisp and place him where i have in picture 5.
Also on this step in Object Editor change the Abilitys so it has none or delete them all (as seen in picture 7 and 8), then scroll a bit down till you get to the combat change it all to 0 so it cannot attack (the location of this is in picture's). Last but not least change the name to Hero Selector (located and shown in picture's), last thing take out what he can build.

7) Place your heros behind the Circle's of power (shown in picture's). Make sure they are owned by Neutral Hostile, if you dont know how to change them into Neutral Hostile i shall show you after down the bottom.

8) Now go to your Region Palette and place a square region that perfectly fits your Circle of Powers (shown in picture's), as you can see in these picture i have made the region green and named them, this is simple to do just right click on the name of the region and press edit region properties.

Triggers

9) Go into your Trigger Editor and delete all the Initialization. Create a new trigger folder called Hero Setup then a trigger called Blademaster or if you are using a different hero put his name. Then put this:

Events: A unit Enters E.g (change this to the region you want).
Conditions: (Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to Hero Selector (change this to whatever unit you want to enter the Circle Of Power).
Actions: Unit - Create 1 Blademaster for (Owner of (Entering unit)) at (Center of Hero Chosen <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees (change the blademaster to what unit your using and the region to what region you want him to move to)
Unit - Remove (Entering unit) from the game
Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
(See picture's).

10) Your Done test your games and see if it works.:thumbs_up:

Trigger Explaination

I will explain how this trigger works:

A unit enters a region (this means when the unit enters the region)
(Unit-type of (Entering unit)) Equal to Hero Selector (this means the unit that goes into that region must be equal to a Hero Selector for the actions to work)
Create 1 Blademaster for (Owner of (Entering unit)) at (Center of Hero Chosen <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees (then creates 1 blademaster for the persons who's Hero Selector had entered the region, then creates a blademaster at region Hero Chosen)
Unit - Remove (Entering unit) from the game ( remove the entering unit from the game, in this case the entering unit is the Hero Selector)
Trigger - Turn off (This trigger) ( Turns this trigger of so it cant be used again and again).

Neutral Passive

To make a unit Neutral Passive i would say in object editor make a custom unit and then select it. Scroll all the way down till you find (Stats-Race Other) change this to Stats-Race other then volia you will find in the unit in Neutral Passive your Custom Section.

:infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up:

Feel free to Rep me :thumbs_up:

Need any help on your map?
Email me at [email protected]
Or add me on warcraft 3 Battle net my name is Lordsalem.

Hf with your new triggering

My map explaining is down attached also there are a few more triggers look at them if you want and try and work out how they work.

Attachments

• 3.bmp
    664.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 4.bmp
    469.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 6.bmp
    427.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 7.bmp
    23.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 8.bmp
    262 KB · Views: 120
  • 9.bmp
    769.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 10.bmp
    221.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 11.bmp
    80.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 12.bmp
    443.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 13.bmp
    447.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 14.bmp
    442.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
mmm, you still have a lot of work ahead you.
Well, in order to make your tutorial more complete, you could attach my tutorial to yours by using a link.
Ofc that if you do so, i will link my tutorial to yours as well.
I think that liking tutorials that share a similar contend is a benefict for all including we (tutorial makers) because more people will actually see them.

Level 40
  • Please attach the pictures further up in the post, where they belong (it'll look a little better)
  • We have
    • tags for triggers.
    • [*]You can generally assume they know how to use the basics of the world editor - they shouldn't be reading tutorials beyong a HowTo if not ;)
    • [*]T'would be nice if you either mentioned that your trigger leaks, or removed the leaks.
    • [*]Maybe Move the unit instead of creating a new one, so that other people (ingame) would know the hero was chosen?
    • [*]Possibly elaborate on more than one method of hero selection, or a Random Hero location, or something?[/list]

PurplePoot said:
You can generally assume they know how to use the basics of the world editor - they shouldn't be reading tutorials beyong a HowTo if not ;)

Don't do this, great works apply to ALL audiences, including those who are really noobs and never saw WE b4.
You should ALSO explain the basic concepts as it will only IMPROVE the quality of your tutorial. And people pay more attention to such tutorials ( i talk by self experience)

Well, PurplePoot, it is wrong to deny knowledge, even to those who are noobs.

Wisdom is something evry1 should have free access to.

Yes if people don't know how to change a unit's owner, they should read this tutorial, they will gain more experience, and if the tutorial explains how to change the owner, every1 will benefit more.

More tedius !? Good works and jobs always give a lot of trouble to do and to read. Everything has a price, like the chinese guys say: With the Sun, comes the Shade.

... i know that .... Still notive that my tutorial was 3 weeks unchanged ... in this very same section ... And NO comments where made.
You just came up later (a lot ) but at least you came up ... (i guess it's better late then never).

Still, i haven't seen Wolverabid lately ... and i need to speak with him ...

Also, the onmy DECENT mods THW is purplepoot and Wolve, Dr.Good (or whatever his nickname is) feels good awarding negative rep points with no reason and i rarely hear about other mods.

That's why i was VER surprised when i saw a mod (that was not you or wolv) commenting this tut ... lol