• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Slow-Motion

Level 6
This is a fairly basic tutorial. I've tried to be as informative as I can. If you feel I should add something, let me know.

I've found a way to gradually slow the passage of time. It even can be used map-wide.

- To stop/slow a units animation(basic):
GUI: use "animation - set unit animation speed"
JASS: use "SetUnitTimeScale(target, speed)"
Uses percentages, 0 freezes animation.

- To stop/slow unit attack/movement speeds:
First, you need to copy the "Slow Aura (Tornado)" ability, I'm pretty sure it's under the special abilities section. For my map, I gave this ability 100 levels, only so I could set an accurate percentage, but this isn't necessary.
Set the movement and the attack speed percentages for each level.
Set the targets available to target only self.
Set the area-of-effect to 0.
Change the FX as desired.
Use a timer/unit pick to give this ability to all units under its effect, setting level of ability as neccessary. IE: if time is slowed by 10%, then set it to a level where the attack speeds are 90% of normal.

In my opinion, it's best to use a timer attached to each target(with randomized time-lengths, to stop lag) instead of constant unit picks(this is a case of performance). Although, that requires a knowledge of JASS.

If time is meant to be frozen, I suggest pausing all units under its effect, so as to not register orders given after freeze, unpausing them once the effect is speeding back up.

You can achieve some very 'cool' effects with this.
I've used it in my own DBZ-style map, to create variable slow-motion, depending on agility. It finds the stongest hero(agility wise) and applies the slow-mo onto the other heroes depending on their relative agility.

Last edited by a moderator: