• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icons with swapped red and blue colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I don't know, was the same problem discussed or not, but I have to post here.

The image generated by Hive (for uploaded icon) is not the same as BLP file contains. It has swapped red and blue colors.

Examples: BTNSourceFix, BTNSharkPirate, BTNSpell1

In fact, The Hive incorrectly read that type of icons, not bordering programs generate inverted ones. I should notice that examples listed above are correctly opened with war3viewer and looks normal in-game.

I have an explanation for this bug:
There are two types of BLP (used in Warcraft) - compressed BLP (which uses jpeg compression), and paletted BLP (have similar structure as in paletted TGA). The problem with reading paletted BLPs. Magos wrote in his BLP file specification:
Each cell in the index list refers to a location in the palette where the corresponding RGBA value is.
but in fact the palette consists of BGRA cells. That's why red and blue colors are inverted.

I think, fixing that bug would not take much time. Thanks.

Level 14
So the solution is 'Wait untill its fixed'?
I'd recommend to wait. Of course, you can save your BLPs in compressed format (with jpeg compression). But the size reduction in MPQ would be minimal (1-7%), and the annoying jpeg artifacts would appear when reducing quality.

Uncompressed BLPs have better color reproduction, constant size (independent from image quality) and putting them into archive (MPQ) drastically reduce their size (roughly 30-50% ratio).

Level 5
just came across this error aswell ....
And its pretty sucky ...

If i dont want to spread icons with a doubled filesize i have to take into account these wrong colors 0.o

A Fix would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.