• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the last contest isn't still finished, it would be nice to come up with some original idea/theme for the next contest!

My ideas:
1. Representing your Country (Showing us how your beautiful country really is)
2. Apocalypse (Futuristic)
3. Making giants with smaller doodads (I know we had one I just figured it would be awesome to do it again with our new improved skills)

Last edited:
Level 15
I think we should do a castle theme. Doesn't neccissarily have to be the traditional stone castle but just kind of one massive stronghold. For example you if you wanted to do an elven one you could make it out of trees and magic effects or for a troll one you could use the UTM walls and stuff.

Essentially one structure that represents a stronghold of some kind

3. Making giants with smaller doodads

I like this one

Last edited:
Level 15
We should change this contest a bit, forcing 2 users to team up and make a terrain. It would be really fun, the theme would be colossus IMO, so one user could make a colossus and the other one everything for example.

At first thought this would be odd b/c teams would have to send the map back and forth, but I guess that's the way any paired or group contest would work right?

I would be up for this

Level 15
I wouldn't join a paired terraining contest, it is hard enough by myself to do it, I don't need someone else going through and messing up what I did.

It depends on my partner, if I got a partner that I trusted it would actual be beneficial imo b/c they might come up with design concepts that I would never have considered.

I've actually done some co-terrain and it turned out really good, easy if both have MSN, Skype, etc. Also if you make plans with your partner who's going to make what part of the terrain it will turn out great, also you can get feedback from your partner. There are also some people who did co-terrain and all of them turned good, I think one even made it to the legendary thread.

Level 23
Here's a list of my ideas and thoughts:

- Paired or single contest? I think trying a paired contest would be a nice touch and would allow many possibilities aswell as chances for the terrainers to expand their skills. However how should this be done, judged, etc. One idea would be to make the task of the terrain: Create a terrain with a fore - and a background that are close to 50:50 visible. One of the teammembers has to create the foreground, the other one light and background, just an idea though and for sure not yet perfect. Oziris idea is quite nice aswell, but topic related.

- My theme ideas: (might have been already made in the past or been mentioned though:

-Underwater
-Christmas (would fit right now ;) )
-Computer game: The contestant is up to create a terrain fitting the atmosphere of a computer game, that he choosed.
-Representing your country
-Colossus
-Futuristic: In my opinion quite hard, because of the lack of model amount for it
-Warcraft Lore Terrain: The contestant is up to recreate a location of the Warcraft lore (including WoW or not? )
-Swamp: Always a nice theme, but never a contest theme yet?!

More to come.
Please share your thoughts everybody

Level 17
Even though I have never participated so I have absolutely no idea what has already been done here are my ideas for themes:
- Hell
- Heaven
- Candy Land
- Jungle/Rainforest
- Wilderness
- Wargrounds
- Mountains
- Weather
- Desert

Yeah if these have already been then, I apologise. But as I said.. first timer.

Level 13
I think we should stay away from pair contest they never do good me thinks but wargrounds sounds but I would do that for sure or colossus but I am getting tired of those at the moment.

Level 15
Maybe it's just me, but when I first heard the warground suggestion I pictured what a battlefield would look like AFTER the battle. Like a desolate terrain with bodies scattered around and the aura of death all around, or a futuristic one with destroyed tanks and explosions going off in the background.

I would be fine with either collussus or warground, I think both would work well.
________________________________________________________________________________________
I do like what Midnighters said though. Maybe make the warground one a paired contest where one person designed one side of the terrain and the other person designs the other and we split it down the middle (yes a tad unrealistic but it would work well for a paired contest).

Something like this:

warsong-gulch[1].jpg

Level 23
We do had a lot of brainstorming now.
I would suggest everyone that is interested or better thinks of participating names his personal top three out of this thread like this :

1. ....
2. ....
3. ....

I would set a poll to choose the final theme up as soon as we can figure out some favourites....

So start posting your favourites!

Level 36
If I could get to voice my opinion.

Paired terraining contest is as stupid an idea as doing a paired concept art contest, its all about doing different parts of the same work, unlike other paired contests where there are completely separate parts to focus on and judge. (Take the modeling and skinning contest for instance)

As for an idea, I would love to see a contest with a theme like "Racial Settlement" and possibly only Warcraft Lore also. That makes for making for instance a Forest troll fortress, or some gnoll outpost, the essential idea is to capture the race you go for's special style of construction and how they live in their environment, making the terrainer think twice about any doodad they use. This also gives (more or less) complete freedom towards the natural environment, which I only see as a good thing.

Last edited:
Level 15
Paired terraining contest is as stupid an idea as doing a paired concept art contest, its all about doing different parts of the same work, unlike other paired contests where there are completely separate parts to focus on and judge. (Take the modeling and skinning contest for instance)

Well the idea would be to have the terrain divied in half with each side represented a different concept or entity. So like (just as an example) a magic forest on one side and the desolate burnt remains of the other half of the forest on the other side.

I still like the solo wargrounds idea best. Terrainers could create a battle in process or the battlefield after a clash, it could be futuristic, modern, or warcraft-like, you could focus on the devastation or the glory, it just gives terrainers so much creative freedom while still mainting a restrictive theme. I think it would work brilliantly.

No matter what we decide to do, I say lets get a poll up for the theme and get it going, i'm excited to start ^-^

Level 11
1. Colosuss
2. Swamp
3. After a war
whatever it is,i really want to join the next terraining contest
and i do not reccomend paired terraining

EDIT:i did not know the meaning of colossus so i checked up the dictionary and it says :any statue of gigantic size.

so i ain't going for it

and i think it's 4 opinions + me = 5 (i will keep updating this post so when you look at this post you can easily post a poll)
Colossus
Wargrounds
Warcraft Lore
Christmas
-----------
Swamp

Last edited:
By collosus they mainly mean constructing a large "creature" out of smaller models, it can include a statue but it doesn't necessarily have to be that.

Meh, imo Warcraft Lore is a very lazy theme that people often pull out when they've got no better ideas, I mean it's the most obvious and lackluster theme possible - and of course it'd most likely be dominated by Lich King Thrones or something like that. It also leaves very little up to the imagination of the terrainer.

Level 11
i searched all over hive's terrain board and i found this
is this what you mean by "colosuss"
if that is then,i might reconsider
[rainbow]

attachment.php
[/rainbow]

Attachments

• Colosuss.PNG
    Colosuss.PNG
    617.3 KB · Views: 94
Status