• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #3 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

HiveLogo.png

178091-albums2336-picture100499.png
178091-albums2336-picture100500.png
178091-albums2336-picture100501.png
178091-albums2336-picture100512.png
178091-albums2336-picture101160.png

178091-albums2336-picture100709.png

178091-albums2336-picture100502.png

Contestants were to create an experience containing no battles, blood or any traces of violence.

Entries
178091-albums2336-picture101161.png

Participant
Originality GameplayThemeAestheticsTriggersPolishing Total

Maximum
25 252015105100

Vengeanckael

The_Silent

Arad MNK
19 181484265

Shar Dundred
20 10579455

PublishedShadow

Landmine
15 1913117469

Genesis

Originality

Gameplay

Theme

Aesthetics

Triggers/Performance

Polishing

Result

By Vengeancekael

The game is quite unique in the pool of Warcraft 3 games and I cannot recall seeing a game or a game concept like this in Warcraft 3.
The idea of becoming a part of the economic system and living up a certain part of nature's circle is quite interesting and well done., including natural events like seasons, day circles and migrating animal groups as well as different environments.

Result: 21/25 Points

The game has no greater fun factor and focuses on special effects and informative facts. Included boni make players want to play it again to find and catch them all. The gameplay itself is very monotone tho, but enjoyable for some rounds.
One or another information wouldn't hurt. I wanted to couple with a male crab so bad, but wait, I am supposed to be male ?

Result: 16/25 Points

The map contains no violence, blood or any act that hurts its peaceful and natural atmosphere. One could argue that nature is natural and not peaceful, but your map shows only peaceful elements ( are coupling crabs peaceful ?).

Result: 18/20 Points

As I said before, your map is mostly built on special effects and environment.
While many special effects seemed well-chosen and fitting, I heavily disliked some, like random auroras floating around. They simply did not match the forest terrain, maybe they could have looked good in the background or between the trees, but being like floating mirrors on open ground, they felt misplaced.
The little details were cute, I noted you used colored effects for different flower colors which comes out great.
Nonetheless, especially non-flowering effects, like the ones in the river, felt very randomized placed and looked rather misplaced.
I also disliked the permanent health bars being shown. Not everyone has them permanently activated, but it's a point you could have thought of.

Result: 10/15 Points

As far as I noticed, the game performance was good. Having a look on the triggers, they seem overall efficient/ average.
There was a little issue with the chapter name popping up after one finished chapter 3 and 4, but it is rather a small point.

Result: 8/10 Points

The map has a quest log, no missing DISBTN were recognized.
The texts are easy to read and informative. Hotkeys are available.

Result: 5/5 Points

Result: 78/100 Points

Guild of Traders

Originality

Gameplay

Theme

Aesthetics

Triggers/Performance

Polishing

Result

by The_Silent

Trading games are not unique around Warcraft, but yours surely hasn’t a comparable twin. The concept of trading and raising an empire is an exciting concept and enjoyable to play against other.

Why do I have to wait a minute until the game starts ? A skip button/command would be nice.

The gameplay is initially a bit confusing, we had to discuss a bit before we figured out how to really play this game.

The gameplay itself was quite enjoyable. We had a fun time ( after figuring out how it works) challenging each other and raising our empires.
The game has a high PvP factor.

Why is it peaceful if I win a game by ruining other enterprises/ players and buy them up ? Even if no violence and blood is involved, it is not peaceful to defeat other players and 'ruin their life'.

The choice of the custom buildings is enjoyable and fitting.
The terrain could use some tile variation tho and one or another generated doodad.

Performs well and seems to be stable. Triggers are advanced and efficient.

The tooltips arent very informative and basically only consist data needed for the game.
The choice of custom resources is appropriate and no missing DISBTN are recognized.

Result: 71/100 Points

World of Efcathar

Originality

Gameplay

Theme

Aesthetics

Triggers/Performance

Polishing

Result

by Arad MNK

The game concept is quite interesting and strongly reminds one of Minecraft and other third person role play games. Within Warcraft 3 I cannot recall seeing many games like this, even if the game concept itself is not a very unique or non-existing concept.

The player is thrown into action, having options what to do the whole day.
I was excited o check out the different places you created and it was disappointing that most places didn't offer much content. Searching for items in the jungle and eating or sleep at home, not many options were offered to the player.

Due to the stats system, including hunger and energy system, the player has to desperately search for something to eat to not starve. If the player does not know how to get food he is lost. The stress factor of knowing that the player can starve makes the game play not very peaceful.
No violence or blood is involved.

The overall design was catching and shows good variety, but the misplacing of many doodads, like floating rocks in the mountain or on the separate island created a strange feeling. The shop and the house were well-designed and charming.
Some areas, like the beach or the inner town area could have profit from more little doodads.
The player also keeps ignoring streets and walks through the bushes.

While playing I encountered many issues. When arriving on the island, pressing ESC skips the cinematic but not the dialog between the soldier and the player and when playing a bit around with the options the unit rushes, for example, into the town area before bouncing back in the starting area to the soldier.
In the jungle, there the player keeps collecting items even if he is told to chill out.
The store did not react at all to me.

You also use waits, which is strongly recommended to avoid, as it leaks.

The lack of any information about the gameplay and the option of rotating the cam with the arrow keys is not enjoyable. You could have included a little tutorial or more information for the loading screen.
There were also some grammar mistakes.

Result: 65/100 Points

True Love

Originality

Gameplay

Theme

Aesthetics

Triggers/Performance

Polishing

Result

by Shar Dundred

It was amusing that you showed 'behind the scenes' action.
Showing the units thoughts and the process behind the game, as if it was a movie.
Not an unique concept, as you used a quite similar before, but sill rather unique in the world of Warcraft 3.

The game offered a quite enjoyable gameplay and I had incredible fun playing it... Oh wait, that's another map.
Well, I guess I don’t have to say much to the gameplay consisting of walking through a camp to the beloved one.

Following the statements of the 'actors' was entertaining and you greatly included your own motions and views about the contest's theme in the map.

There wasn't a peaceful atmosphere at all, and you know I guess. Horses feeding from corpses, the development team and the actors discussing and complaining and so on.

Basic terrain, hardly variety in the overall design and average use of doodads.
Your focus lies majorly on the dialog of the persons.

One or another wait trigger, butt he rest looks fine and the performance is good.

Well, would have been nice to have a display for the narrator, but he can also be stylistically not visible to the player.
There is not much else to say, grammar seemed okay, choice of text, too.

Lemoncraft

Originality

Gameplay

Theme

Aesthetics

Triggers/Performance

Polishing

Result

by PublishedShdow

Lemoncraft offers a rather unique and creative gameplay comparing to other Warcraft games.
The concept itself is not unique, but unseen around Warcraft.

The gameplay is a bit steady, there isn't much variation, but it is enjoyable for some time. Experimenting with different recipes and finding a strategy for the ability build as well as managing energy are good concepts.

The gameplay was peaceful, but one could argue why a greed for money is considered peaceful.

The shown part was well-designed and offered everything it needs, not too much and not lacking.

The performance was not perfect. Especially the change from day to day caused lag.
Since I cannot open the map I cannot say something about the triggers themselves

Tooltips were good to read, sometimes a bit filled, but informative.
There is a small point with passive icons having active BTN borders.
The map has an informative quest log.

Let's Rock

Originality

Gameplay

Theme

Aesthetics

Triggers/Performance

Polishing

Result

Landmine

The concept of going into a mine and collect gems is not very unique and can be found as a feature in many games.

The gameplay is uniform with variety once the player advances in advanced areas.
The greed of the player for more valuable gems and the rush of gold creates an excited atmosphere. Upgrades allow to upgrade the hero in a particular way.
The different factions were quite enjoyable to choose from.

The influence of the creeps having great impact on the player and the necessity of avoiding them creates not a very peaceful atmosphere.
One could also argue that mining is not a peaceful process hurting mother Earth, but I don’t want to exaggerate.

The terrain was very simple, offering basic doodads and design.
Many fitting custom icons were used which created a great atmosphere.

The triggering seemed overall leakless, tho the efficiency is something one can argue about.
The performance was good.

The use of custom icons was enjoyable and no missing DISBTN were recognized.
A bit more initial explanation could have been a good addition and I don’t understand how the miner can mien without having an initial pickaxe.

Result: 69/100 Points

178091-albums2336-picture101162.png

Formula:
(Poll Votes/ 24) * 0,35 + Judge Points * 0,65 = Final Points

The results are rounded, any other rounding would not influence the final positions.

Arad MNK 42 Final Points

Landmine
45 Final Points

PublishedShadow
47 Final Points

Shar Dundred
36 Final Points

The_Silent
46 Final Points

Vengeancekael
51 Final Points

Ranking (descending order)
  • 1st place: Vengeancekael
  • 2nd place: PublishedShadow
  • 3rd place: The_Silent
  • 4th place: Landmine
  • 5th place: Arad MNK
  • 6th place: Shar Dundred
178091-albums2336-picture100504.png
  • First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon
First Place: Vengeancekael
Second Place: PublishedShadow
Third Place: The_Silent

Congrats to the winners and thank you to all participants!

Status
Not open for further replies.