• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Game Concept Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Well.. I am not very good at drawing, but I am giving it a shot. People say I am good at drawing for my age, but I think otherwise.

http://img18.imageshack.us/i/cci1221201000002.png/

New Version:
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3007/cci1222201000000.png

cci1222201000000.png

COLORED: :D
coloredq.png

http://img716.imageshack.us/f/coloredq.png/

Last edited:
Level 4
Well, in my opinion its acually rather good. although I noticed that the head feels a tiny bit disproportional and of centered to the rest of the body. the right side shoulder pad feels slightly disproportional when compared to the other shoulder pad behind the head. The ark is a bit too greatly steep. The left leg some how doesn't quite fit nicely and It feels too artifical, it doesn't have a definite knee.

Overall, It is a rather average picture but I recon that if you practice with keeping body elements definite, and proportional (use construction lines) then you could improve on an already significantly developed character.

If you are going to implement this character into some sort of map/mod via modeling or 2 dimensional concept art I would look forward to it. Keep up the great work! :)

P.S. I tryed colouring in your picture, I just couldn't resist, Hope you like it:

Attachments

• QuickSketch.jpg
    QuickSketch.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 277
Level 9
You said your "age".. may I ask how old exactly?

The drawing is pretty cool (could use some work on line and what not, but meh), the helmet is pretty sweet. Just keep practicing form, it'll all come together. Long breaks from drawing are bad (random tip)!

--

Is this for anything in particular or just a random drawing?

Level 7
I am 14. :p
I am a game developer, it may seem a bit unrealistic for my age, but I work with UDK. I model very well, I texture poorly :p, my voice acting is up to date due to my strong solid voice, I get hired for American accents in video games and I also use them in my own game. This drawing was concept art for a game I am doing called Warforged.
And thanks for the opinion! I appreciate it :)

Last edited:
Level 25
You my friend, you have to study some anatomy :)
Why? It's the basis of art, especially "Game Development/Concept Art", if you don't know it, you'll never have a work as a Concept Artist, trust me.

Let's take a look at your 'Commander'.

commander.jpggun_comp.jpg
Here's the first things I think of when I see him
- He's very short and heavy headed
- His gun is almost as big as himself (second image)
- His arms looks to small to carry such a big gun

Why is that? You haven't studied anatomy and that ruins your proportions.
One of the basics that almost every artist follows is the fact that the human body usually has the size of 7-8 heads.
compare.jpg
As you can see, he's merely 4 heads long and it ruins the human anatomy;
it makes the shoulders, head and etc look very big and some other part, such as the arms very small.

I highly recommend you to look up some anatomy at the Internet (or buy a "Anatomy for Artist Book", it's absolutly the best thing to do).

Sites that I can recommend:
www.devinatArt.com
- DeviantARTs Tutorial Section
www.conceptart.org

A "Good Start Tutorial":
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=Human+anatomy#/dgd312

One more thing, as mentioned in that tutorial, you should learn how to "analyse" the human body.
How? This is the way I work (I'm not that good yet):
Go to a site that can provide you with photos of humans (pref. nude, clothes will make it hard for you), here's an example:
http://browse.deviantart.com/photography/people/?q=strike a pose&order=9&offset=24#/d1eyvd8 (with clothes)
Study the picture for a while; in what way is the hip pointing at and etc.
Then, just "pinch" out the important parts of the body, like head, shoulders, pelivs and etc.
step 1.jpg
After that, start making cubes, tubes and etc in 3D to clearify that the head is really looking to the right and etc.
step 2.jpg

Done. You can go on with fixing the chest, add some shading and etc (make it 3D, but the clothes stopped me from doing that).
And remember, this should only take a couple of minutes and you can do the same
pose over and over again and see how you improve and add new thing each time, but I don't got time for that at a moment.

PS
Start with Standing Poses! Sitting and lying poses are much harder!

Level 25
Define truth of the Internet... I can make up anything here, but being critic brings forth the truth -.-'

I most have missunderstood you; I thought you ment that you worked with UDK (developing the engine) and not, basically, moding with it. Of course, games in UDK are as good as any other game but using it doesn't make you a working game developer. Working, professional, means that you're getting payed for it, else you're just like the rest of us here at THW, amatures doing what they like.

Back to Topic:
No. Same reasons as before, the anatomy and preportions are failing you.
But more to the update; right now it looks like a plain, flat mix of colors. Why? There's almost no shading and working with a 100% white background isn't recommended, as it ruins your shading, totally.

You've no defined lightsource (is he outside or inside, I'm guessing outside as the flag is waving). Why do you need a lightsource? Becuase it will rules your choices of colors. If the light is "recived" from above, then the helmet, shoulders and weapon should've defined highlights at the upper parts and defined shading at the lower parts.
These colors, shading and highlight, are also ruled depending on the environment, if you're on, let's say a red, barren planet, most of the light will be red and even if your "Armor" is green, black, white or whatever, it'll have a strong red tint.

So before you start shading don't just "Ooh, I'll grab a darker color of the current color and draw over it!". No, you've to remember that shading and highligts most likely will be of an other color. This is also known as Complementary colors
With other words, the shadings of a "Red Armor" will have a slightly green tint.

I could go on forever, but that's all I'll write for now, I'm tired as hell (GMT +1 here) and sorry in advance if this is a bit "jumpy and bad explained", but my brain is like mashed potatoes at a moment.

Level 7
Thanks for the advice. I will begin reworking it. The light source was supposed the top right of the pic, but obviously it was not that clear. I will try to make it more of a well shaded pic. It is also supposed to be outside. The white background was for the viewer to easily see the picture, for this is supposed to be an exercise for me in drawing/coloring. I will update soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.