• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
Level 4
Just having another go on Tropic Tomb.

Oddly, the ring circles in the library are showing all red except the one on top-right showing blue. Was kinda a guessing game moving the colour boxes. I think this is due to friend blue and enemy red colour flag was last set on a previous map instead of team own colours. Also, I kinda made the gold box float higher by placing it on the switch in tomb entrance but can still be picked up. I can also walk under it.

I just checked the guide. It possible to use Blink stun on the red circle instead of making catapult hit the Warden while she's on it in the entrance room.

Last time, when the game hanged up, the boxes got stuck in the corner of the whirlpool and couldn't get them out. It's happened again and I think it's the source of the game hanging up last time. I've checked walk through guide and it doesn't explain how to complete this puzzle. It's quite buggy and laggy when trying to push the boxes around to activate all switches at once. Sometimes the game lags too much were box goes fast and the Warden goes too slow. The puzzle is interesting but I think it's too breaking. I couldn't get past this point.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Finally had time to try this chapter! Let me start by saying , WOAH! I fell in love with this one, as the same with the rest of the chapters in your mod. Even if it is hard, the atmosphere and the mindwrecking skills it requires, it worthes more than anything. I want new chapters, think about a chapter in which the Warden gets trapped into a new dimension and she must escape. 5/5! And a big <3 for your mod.

Level 26
Did you experience any lag? How far did you get? :)
I had mixed reports of some heavy lag growing stronger throughout the game, but I never experienced any of it. I did one small update in 1.08 though, so perhaps that did fix it. It would be helpful to hear id that occured when you tried it.

The storyline will take Shalis to the outland, and even weirder places after that, so other dimensions are absolutely incluided. :D
Thanks!

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I experienced no lag. Lag in W3 maps usually occurs if the computer is not strong enough to sustain the mechanics of the map. I got to the chamber with those circles of power but my mother called me to go to dinner and I forgot to save my progress. I will have to start it over but it worthes!!

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Oh, alright.
I guess it has to be their computers then. None the less, I will see if I can reduce it even further. :)
Nonetheless* and yes it is because of their computers. I advise you to do what you truly think is useful for your project :)

Level 10
Hey @Rufus ! :)
Here is my review for the review exhange event:

I rate three things regarding the awesomeness of a map:

1) terrain:
Your terrain is very cool. At least I like it. Of course, now with the new update,
you can add more custom models, but it is not needed. I like oldschool stuff^^

2) gameplay:
I like the unique arrowkey movement and attack system. I have seen many maps with the same attempt,
but yours is clearly so good, that it is not annnoying at all :) And thats really good because most people
start complaining about everything thats more different than standard wc3 :p Good job here.
I also love the many different challenges that really are challenges. I had to think, I had to try hard
to figure out how to solve them.

3) feeling/ambient:
While progressing throughout the different levels, I got more and more into the game.
I felt like the game demanded play! :p And thats a good sign, nothing to improve here :)

Overall, I can only rate this highly recommendable because for what it's intended to be, it's perfect.
It meets all the requirements this kind of genre demands, in my opinion.
I do not want to suggest anything for improvement because I dont think there is a thing,
that could increase the fun of the game as it is right now.
Keep up the good work :)

Level 3
Okay... Tropic Tombs:
"You'll end up in a room with a circular stream, swirling into its center. You need to position the boxes and yourself over the three switches simultaniously to open the northern gate."
But these boxes are impossible to place in the right place. When I hit them - they just run away from me on very high speed and now they both stuck. I can`t move them.
Do you need screenshot of the issue?

Oddly, the ring circles in the library are showing all red except the one on top-right showing blue. Was kinda a guessing game moving the colour boxes. I think this is due to friend blue and enemy red colour flag was last set on a previous map instead of team own colours. Also, I kinda made the gold box float higher by placing it on the switch in tomb entrance but can still be picked up. I can also walk under it.

I just checked the guide. It possible to use Blink stun on the red circle instead of making catapult hit the Warden while she's on it in the entrance room.

Last time, when the game hanged up, the boxes got stuck in the corner of the whirlpool and couldn't get them out. It's happened again and I think it's the source of the game hanging up last time. I've checked walk through guide and it doesn't explain how to complete this puzzle. It's quite buggy and laggy when trying to push the boxes around to activate all switches at once. Sometimes the game lags too much were box goes fast and the Warden goes too slow. The puzzle is interesting but I think it's too breaking. I couldn't get past this point.
The same for me. Boxes stucked in the corner.

Last edited:
Level 3
The second try was much easier. I failed the first try because of my stupid actions :p So... I still think the "impossible" mode will be great.

And, yeah, I think you need to make a "reward system" for players who finished the map with a lot of Soul stones/Gold (Dark Depths)

Last edited:
Level 26

@Furry Nova, sorry for not answering until now!
I must have missed the alert. :/

As for the circles, that is is just team colour flag, yes. That is problematic. I will see if I can find a solution.

I will see if I can fix the higher floating box. It is not a big problem though, as it still works as intended.
It possible to use Blink stun on the red circle instead of making catapult hit the Warden while she's on it in the entrance room.
I'm not sure what you mean here?

Was it lagging for you? Like framerate dropping?
I discovered a bug with the boxes. I accidently copied over a box trigger from a future map when updating the combat skills. I have fixed it already, but it was a problem uploading it, so I will do that later.

@TD_PRO_2006
Of course, now with the new update,
Yeah, I'd like to stick to the standard resources as much as possible. I only add minor stuff myself, things that mostly go unnoticed, such as the black screens inside the nexus of Tropic Tomb and Solen's Sanctuary. :)

THanks a bunch for your kind words. :)
I'm really glad you think the arrowkeys worked out well. I have pent a great deal of time on polishing those. Unfortunately, Blizzard have hardcoded a 0.1 delay for the keys though, which sadly is impossible to fix.
That is why I decided to implement a special cursor movement system aswell, that is based on my arrowkey system. It works the same way, but without delay. The character moves in the closest angle ultiplicable with 45 in the direction of the cursor. This will be implemented into all maps with the next update.

The atmosphere is also important. Just gotta ask, did the music work for you? Did it stop playing?

Thanks for the review. Would you mind rating it aswell? :)

Okay... Tropic Tombs:
"You'll end up in a room with a circular stream, swirling into its center. You need to position the boxes and yourself over the three switches simultaniously to open the northern gate."
But these boxes are impossible to place in the right place. When I hit them - they just run away from me on very high speed and now they both stuck. I can`t move them.
Do you need screenshot of the issue?
The second try was much easier. I failed the first try because of my stupid actions :p So... I still think the "impossible" mode will be great.

And, yeah, I think you need to make a "reward system" for players who finished the map with a lot of Soul stones/Gold (Dark Depths)
@Sayonara, talked to you on skype about those issues. :)

About the reward though, I have been thinking of something like that aswell.
The problem right now is that I don't really have a good idea for what the gold hsould be for, otherwise that would have been a good extra reward for finishing the map with mre soul stones.
About soul stones: they are going away. They may be replaced with sprites, which can be collected for rewards. more afout that in the update that is coming. :)

Instead of getting revives from soul stones, you will get higher base number of revives based on how hard the level is. I think it will usually be around 15, which means you can die a good number of times without having to be scared to have to restart, but you can't just play mindlessly and just slash away at a boss while dying over and over.

So the base will be around 15, but there will be a "par" for each map aswell. This is where the game can challenge you.
The par on a map could be 5. That means you can die 5 times and still clear the par. If you die more, you have failed the par.
If you manage to stay under the par, you will get an extra reward when you clear the map. :)

What do you think of this?

Last edited:
Level 4
I'm not sure what you mean here?
It's the red rune on the floor with the 4 surrounding gray action circles. Using stun ability on the red rune also triggers the wall to disappear behind the catapult. I don't know if the stun move is meant to be used as an alternative as well.

Guide said:
  1. Stand ontop of the circle yourself, and use rewind.
  2. Run to the catapult and activate it, hten instantly use rewind to make the catapult projectile kill you. A bloodoffering have been made.
  3. A wall will open behind the catapult. Go there, and go through the teleport.

Level 4
Did you experience frame drop anytime during the game? When, in that case?
It only occurs when trying to solve the whirlpool puzzle, mate. Getting boxes stuck together or in corner. Sometimes they shake rapidly like it's jumping between 2 points. I tried using the gold boxes that can be carried to make it easier but had no luck. I even got one wooden box stuck near the teleport entrance and a struggle to get it out without warping back.

Level 26
Perhaps I should make the boxes reset if they are moved to far from the whirlpool.
Anyway, the other issues should have been fixed with the update I'm uploading tomorrow. I will also try to add a few anti-lag triggers. :)

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Level 4
Perhaps I should make the boxes reset if they are moved to far from the whirlpool.
There's times the boxes got stuck completely and I couldn't get them out of the corner at all. Maybe a nearby reset switch would be handy for precaution to prevent the map being incompleteable.

Is the black areas a resource here? I thought they looked unique to the bounds boundary.

Level 10
@TD_PRO_2006
Of course, now with the new update,
Yeah, I'd like to stick to the standard resources as much as possible. I only add minor stuff myself, things that mostly go unnoticed, such as the black screens inside the nexus of Tropic Tomb and Solen's Sanctuary. :)

THanks a bunch for your kind words. :)
I'm really glad you think the arrowkeys worked out well. I have pent a great deal of time on polishing those. Unfortunately, Blizzard have hardcoded a 0.1 delay for the keys though, which sadly is impossible to fix.
That is why I decided to implement a special cursor movement system aswell, that is based on my arrowkey system. It works the same way, but without delay. The character moves in the closest angle ultiplicable with 45 in the direction of the cursor. This will be implemented into all maps with the next update.

The atmosphere is also important. Just gotta ask, did the music work for you? Did it stop playing?

Thanks for the review. Would you mind rating it aswell?

The music was always fine.
Sure, i rate it 5/5. I think this doesnt deserve anything less.

Level 3
@Furry Nova
So the base will be around 15, but there will be a "par" for each map aswell. This is where the game can challenge you.
The par on a map could be 5. That means you can die 5 times and still clear the par. If you die more, you have failed the par.
If you manage to stay under the par, you will get an extra reward when you clear the map. :)

What do you think of this?
Sounds good.

BTW. What are you thinking about achievement system? For example, in the Solen's Sanctuary: "Solve the puzzle in 60sec", "Solve the second puzzle", "Kill the final boss without revives" etc.
I saw such system in one Russian map. I spent a lot of time to get as much of them as I can ;)

Level 26
There's times the boxes got stuck completely and I couldn't get them out of the corner at all. Maybe a nearby reset switch would be handy for precaution to prevent the map being incompleteable.

Is the black areas a resource here? I thought they looked unique to the bounds boundary.
Yeah, a lever sounds like a good idea.

Yeah, the black screens are boxes that I added the "unfogged" filter to, so that it would remain a black mass evenwhen heavy fog was present in the map. WIth this, I am able to create some really cool illusions. :)

BTW. What are you thinking about achievement system? For example, in the Solen's Sanctuary: "Solve the puzzle in 60sec", "Solve the second puzzle", "Kill the final boss without revives" etc.
I saw such system in one Russian map. I spent a lot of time to get as much of them as I can ;)
I have been thinking of something similiar. Those achievements you mentioned seems awesome.
I may try to do this in the future, but that depends on a few things.

If it is possible to save the stats a player had in the beginning of each map, you could be able to revisit themvia the campaign screen and try them again, this time getting all the achivements. For each achivement, you are given a code, that you can enter in the current chapter you are in, so that you get those rewards later.

Or: When you clear a map, you can revisit it, this time without your saved stats. This time your stats are set to something appropriate that makes it pretty hard to clear. Then, if you clear the map with 3 specific achievements, you get a reward that you can access via a code or something.
I'll probably go for this one ^

A problem I am having is rewards though.
The only rewards I have currently, is bonus stats (plus Damage, Health, Regeneration, DMGX), and a few ability upgrades (such as faster dashes, lower cd on stun). However, those ability upgrades needs to go at specific moments in the game, so the only thing I can reward for such achivements as clearing a map in master mode, is extra stats.
Perhaps though, I could make it so you can play bonus maps if you manage master mode or something. :)

If you have ideas for rewards, let me know! :)

Level 22

ef12a6eaa3e2.png

I tried to play your Warden - Solen's Sanctuary. Let me tell you a little what I think about that.

555e9c98263c.png

Advantages:
- Truly unique in its kind of map. Remembering my Warcraft 3 gaming experience I have never met such a quality map.
- The game is challenging.
- The terrain looks amazing. - You made it look stunning without any import. Great example of "Old-school" terraining.
- The atmosphere is just delightful. I really appreciate it in the maps.
- Puzzles: I absolutely love it, great work Ruffus.
Puzzle with a catapult struck me - simple enough, but what a cool and breath-taking. An example of how with the imagination you can do from a simple things something much more. I applaud standing.
Puzzle with obelisks: pretty understandable, intuitive. It made me think that I'm not as stupid as I thought. How wrong I was.
And finally the puzzle with colored plates - the first step was pretty easy, but then... I spent a lot of time but to be honest I didn't have enought patience to resolve it through. Sorry :)

002cc8f52d42.png

Pay attention:
- In the intro, you can often see problems with animations - running on the spot, sliding and so on. Of course, it's just a minor detail, but still they are not so difficult to fix.
- Problems with getting stuck when the fire elementals attack. Causing a fire rift under the feet of the Warden, often she just gets stuck and can not move.
- "Hard" difficulty not actually hard. Try to reduce base amount of Soul Stones or make them "undropable" on this difficulty.
ffb1be0e9e5f.png
Conclusion:
I really like your map. Interesting combination of Puzzles and Slasher, which allows not to tire. Excellent idea to additionally reward player if he is willing to think a little more.
Such maps actually is not enough, so keep up the good work.
5/5.

Level 26
- In the intro, you can often see problems with animations - running on the spot, sliding and so on. Of course, it's just a minor detail, but still they are not so difficult to fix.
ACtually, they are. They are painful to adjust just right, but it is doable. The problem about it is that the wrong animations are not always showing, so it is tricky to know what to fix. The custom movement system makes things harder too, but I'll try something.
However, as this is not a game-breaking bug, I might spend my time on other things first, and come back to polish on those kind of things later. I will add it to my list of fixes though. :)
- Problems with getting stuck when the fire elementals attack. Causing a fire rift under the feet of the Warden, often she just gets stuck and can not move.
That is them stunning you. Here, the animation is actually quite important. And, I have an easy fix for it already, so that will be in the next update.
- "Hard" difficulty not actually hard. Try to reduce base amount of Soul Stones or make them "undropable" on this difficulty.
I might add harder modes in the future. however, I will have a "par" feature that makes the game hard, if you want an extra reward.
I have discussed those things further in the comment above yours, and in this comment.
It might also be discussed in this newly started thread.

Thanks a lot for your kind words, and the awesome rating!
I will try to stay on that path when creating future maps too then. :)

Level 5
Hi this is a very good map and i really like it the terrain was really intresting the game play was pretty fine but it doesn't have a soul i mean that it doesn't have a clear and good story you just go and kill in my opinion a campaign should have a good story for that im giving 4/5
Keep up with the good work!

Level 26
Thanks for the rating! :)

Glad that you mentioned that thing about soul and story!
From the start, I've tried to create as atmospheric environments as possible, and there was a faint story present in the back of my head, but nothing solid.
On my next update however, i will add a big over map, containing almost nopthing but story, so it will come soon, don't worry!
You can read fragments of it here: Story

Glad you liked it! :)

Level 5
Thanks for the rating! :)

Glad that you mentioned that thing about soul and story!
From the start, I've tried to create as atmospheric environments as possible, and there was a faint story present in the back of my head, but nothing solid.
On my next update however, i will add a big over map, containing almost nopthing but story, so it will come soon, don't worry!
You can read fragments of it here: Story

Glad you liked it! :)

Can't wait!

Level 26
Thanks!
I'm really glad you liked it. :)
I have a big update coming enchancing those things even further, but it is a big one, and I'verun into some mean obstacles, so its release might take a while.
Hope I'll see ya around for future updates!

Level 4
Test version of a big update: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/pastebin/f4428e353b8aeb9439ba5be45cd37a4d10343/
I'd love to get feedback on how transitions and such work, aswell as opinions on the story. :)
Thought I try it out.
  • A building can be walked through west of the Eye of Sargeras.
  • The troll villagers can be killed, even their chief. Completing desert tomb makes them invulnerable after when it triggers quest dialogue.
  • The Tree of Life can be damaged by attacking behind it. I don't know if this is intended.
  • There's a bear that can be walked through, but judging by the tight area I think it supposed to block the Warden passing.
  • After a scene, the bears shock wave attacks don't do any damage. I rushed reading the text there though.
  • Heading North, there is a spider behind a mountain. The game spams "on" messages in a part region nearby. I think this is a debug trigger that didn't get disabled.
  • When I head South, the map transition took like half a minute. I actually thought the game had crashed.
  • Sometimes I get this red screen with forces under attack voice in background.
Found this by accident by doing desert tomb level.
  • Hitting health with the catapult also allows Warden to heal.
After getting to the scene with the troll chief to work and entered the ice level. All the enemies were in invulnerable. I ran around the area but no scene and lost 3 lives. Some had slight damage oddly.

Level 26
Thanks!
Most of those are easily fixed.
The "boss fight" with the bears and their shockwaves is only a prototype actually, and I forgot to update it before the test version.
When you had that 30 second map transition, was it loading (in loading screen) for that long, or was it just black (like a fade filter)?

The last problem you mentioned seems tricker, but I should be able to solve it. :)
Were they invulnerable (so that a red text showed when attacked) or just had loads of health (so that damage was dealt, just not seemingly affecteng them)?

Level 4
When you had that 30 second map transition, was it loading (in loading screen) for that long, or was it just black (like a fade filter)?
It was the black fade filter were the HUD was still displayed. Also, the map transition timer text was frozen on screen too if I recall.

The last problem you mentioned seems tricker, but I should be able to solve it. :)
Were they invulnerable (so that a red text showed when attacked) or just had loads of health (so that damage was dealt, just not seemingly affecteng them)?
I'm not sure. I just recall attacking them and no damage was being done. Since it was a losing fight, I tried running away and around the others trying a few attacks along the way. Later I noticed some of their health was lost. I don't know if that stun ability was effecting them though. I should had kept a save, sorry.

I could re-test it if you want? On version 32 of campaign, I think it was, the enemies seemed fine and were able to get damaged.

Level 26
Since the first one just froze, I'm not sure I can do much about that. There are no heavy triggers launching at that time, but transitions freezes my game for a short duration aswell. I'll check around and see if something can be done.

As for the second problem, it sounds like the cache ran into some trouble, probably setting your damage output to a null value, which results setting it to 0.
I was completely new to cache triggers before I tried it with this project, so I may very well have done some things wrong.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :)