• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Almost finished a few of them, however due to max 2014 I'm getting sking weight errors that seem unfixable, it's incredibly bizzare.

Man, you are just not lucky when it comes to exporting. Have you tried 2016?

Another Doomhammer? Meh. There is a lot more characters I would prefer over it..

Good thing I don't work for you then.

How'bout we let Tauer create whatever he wishes, it is his free time and skills after all. He ain' no sweatshop.

Exactly. You people must understand that Tauer and every modeler make models for fun and because we like to make them, we're not doing services here on the Hive. So let him make what he wants.

:infl_thumbs_up:

And I am sitting here waiting for that Sargeras model.

Good things comes to those who wait.

Doomhammer mesh pretty much done:

gif_1-gif.252270

wip7-jpg.252268

wip8-jpg.252269

Attachments

• WIP7.jpg
    WIP7.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 401
  • WIP8.jpg
    WIP8.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 439
  • GIF_1.gif
    GIF_1.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 477
Level 15
I don't get why is everyone so butthurt with my comment. I just said that because we have like 10 Doomhammers on this site, and Tauer already did him twice...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm going to go ahead & defend MogulKahn here, regardless of whether I agree with him or not: He didn't say anything disrespectful, like "Tauer, how could you make another Doomhammer you dumbo! Why don't you make something that's actually new?!"... he merely said there were "other characters [he'd] prefer". Literally "meh". Just a voicing of an opinion (though one that happens to be contrary to the rest of the opinions here).

Now this isn't the government, so 'free speech' isn't really a card to pull here; it's Tauer's thread & he responded as he chose. But y'know, let's not crucify a guy for speaking his mind. : ) Heck, I'm always passive-aggressively suggesting people should mod Trolls, lol. I just try to do it in a way that is unobtrusive & un-annoying (hopefully...).

Speaking of which... "Hey Tauer, will there be a Jungle Troll skin for this Doomhammer??" : D

Last edited:
Level 15
I'm going to go ahead & defend MogulKahn here, regardless of whether I agree with him or not: He didn't say anything disrespectful, like "Tauer, how could you make another Doomhammer you dumbo! Why don't you make something that's actually new?!"... he merely said there were "other characters [he'd] prefer". Literally "meh". Just a voicing of an opinion (though one that happens to be contrary to the rest of the opinions here).

Now this isn't the government, so 'free speech' isn't really a card to pull here; it's Tauer's thread & he responded as he chose. But y'know, let's not crucify a guy for speaking his mind. : ) Heck, I'm always passive-aggressively suggesting people should mod Trolls, lol. I just try to do it in a way that is unobtrusive & un-annoying (hopefully...).

Speaking of which... "Hey Tauer, will there be a Jungle Troll skin for this Doomhammer??" : D

Thanks mate. First time since I am here someone actually respected my opinion. Majority of the time I have different opinion than the rest, and I am not afraid to express that opinion, but these "OMG this creator is the best, everything he is doing is great, I don't have my personal opinion, and if someone actually disagree with the creator, we all are going to attack and downvote him. Also creator has a big co*k, too" are really unbearable sometimes.
:ogre_kawaii:

Level 9
I think Mogul's initial comment came off badly just because of how kinda... Pointless it was. I mean I get that it's not what he wanted to see, but he could offer some suggestions instead of just saying he'd prefer something else. Tauer even mentioned he was working on a new version of Doomhammer because he wasn't wholly satisfied with the last one, so why express surprised disappointment when you see the WiP? I personally feel that if you don't have anything really constructive to add, you just should just keep your comment to yourself, but that's just me I suppose.

Anyways, you already know that I think your stuff is awesome, as always, Tauer. XD Zul'jin looks great, and I'm really digging that new Doomhammer mesh! Keep it up!

Level 34
Level 5
I really like the idea of a new version of Doomhammer! Keep it up Tauer, you are one of my favourite modelers! Keep the awesome job lad! :D

Level 2
Thank you for following the classic artworks! Model really nice, especially the hammer itself is a really nice improvement from the previous Doomhammer. :) Looking forward to it!

Level 39
Thanks for the supportive comments guys!

Sorry if I came off as rude earlier, the comment just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not gonna comment further as I don't wanna turn this into something it doesn't have to be. I'd much rather spend energy posting more WIPs :)

I started texturing. Progress is a bit slow, it's pretty hard to nail the gritty look of Metzen's concept art while still keeping to the WC3 artstyle:

wip9-jpg.252573

Slowly getting there. Still very much a WIP obviously.

Awesome dude! Are you going to make new animations or use some of your existing ones? :)

Thanks man! I'm most likely gonna make new animations for him, seeing as I'm not very statisfied with the animations of the old Doomhammer :)

Attachments

• WIP9.jpg
    WIP9.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 731
Level 20
Hey Tauer! Quick little tip, this is how most of us handpainted folk texture these days, including artists from blizz, start dark.

Just cover his entire face is the darkest shade of green you're going to be using, and then slowly start building up brighter ontop of that, think of your paint as layers.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Bengeance per Zul'jin! :eek: Epic! So many animations!
A few critiques on him (don't be demoralized, your model's pretty good):
  • The top of the cake would be for the scarf to be separated and animated as well
  • Might be just the model viewer, but while he's playing with his axe, its motion isn't too realistic. It moves too slowly for a weapon that heavy and considering the laws of gravity.
  • A few of his features don't look so trollish: the face looks a bit like a goblin, and the arms are short.

Level 39
You really improved with your texturing! It's getting closer and closer to the Blizzard style, I love it. Looking forward to future updates :)

Hey Tauer! Quick little tip, this is how most of us handpainted folk texture these days, including artists from blizz, start dark.

Just cover his entire face is the darkest shade of green you're going to be using, and then slowly start building up brighter ontop of that, think of your paint as layers.

Oh man, I love you! This makes the workflow so much better! No idea why I didn't do this before. Thanks a bunch!

Bengeance per Zul'jin! :eek: Epic! So many animations!
A few critiques on him (don't be demoralized, your model's pretty good):
  • The top of the cake would be for the scarf to be separated and animated as well
  • Might be just the model viewer, but while he's playing with his axe, its motion isn't too realistic. It moves too slowly for a weapon that heavy and considering the laws of gravity.
  • A few of his features don't look so trollish: the face looks a bit like a goblin, and the arms are short.

Scarf is already animated?
Not sure if it's the model viewer or not, but animations do tend to get a little strange when exporting. Also I linearized the animations, dunno if that might've had an effect. Didn't look too strange when I tested ingame though.
On the features, to each his own I guess :p I guess the face is a bit goblin-like, but their facial features do have a few things in common with trolls. Arms are pretty long, though they could be longer I guess. Don't really feel like making huge changes right now though, might look into it later.

WIP:

wip10-jpg.252605

Just trying to get the main features down, then I can focus on details later. Having some issues getting the brows to look right.

Attachments

• WIP10.jpg
    WIP10.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 692
Level 20
Did a quick paint over of what I see as the problem areas, first off his skull shape lacks a bit of definition, his forehead needs about the same bright colours as the top of his head has and the sides need some stronger definition of the skull, the bone structure tends to be very visible around eyes, especially on orcs.
The eyebrows look a little odd due to how you've shaded them dark ontop they appear to be sinking into his skull rather than protruding from it.

The biggest problem I see in your textures are light direction, the texture and model need to complement eachother, don't be afraid to make certain areas much darker or brighter than you might intitally think they should be, the wonderfull part about the stylized handpainted look of studios like Blizzard and Riot, is that things are very overdone and blown out of proportion, they dare to take the risks of stepping outside of realism.

Also! One more advice for painting, when making shadows, don't use black, it becomes very apparent very quickly when black is used to shade and it doesn't read correctly, surfaces tend to become darker and more saturated when they are shaded, using black will remove that saturation, so instead of using black I'd suggest you colour pick that darkest colour that you initally laid down as your base, and use that instead.

Hope I'm making sense here!
paintover.png

Level 39
Did a quick paint over of what I see as the problem areas, first off his skull shape lacks a bit of definition, his forehead needs about the same bright colours as the top of his head has and the sides need some stronger definition of the skull, the bone structure tends to be very visible around eyes, especially on orcs.
The eyebrows look a little odd due to how you've shaded them dark ontop they appear to be sinking into his skull rather than protruding from it.

The biggest problem I see in your textures are light direction, the texture and model need to complement eachother, don't be afraid to make certain areas much darker or brighter than you might intitally think they should be, the wonderfull part about the stylized handpainted look of studios like Blizzard and Riot, is that things are very overdone and blown out of proportion, they dare to take the risks of stepping outside of realism.

Also! One more advice for painting, when making shadows, don't use black, it becomes very apparent very quickly when black is used to shade and it doesn't read correctly, surfaces tend to become darker and more saturated when they are shaded, using black will remove that saturation, so instead of using black I'd suggest you colour pick that darkest colour that you initally laid down as your base, and use that instead.

Hope I'm making sense here!
View attachment 252608

Man, awesome! Thanks a ton, these suggestions you give are gold! And yeah, light direction is definately my biggest weakness in textures, I'm not very good at keeping it in mind and calculating where the light would hit etc. It's definately something I need to work on.
Quick question: what kind of brush settings do you usually use? I'm using 3DCoat for texturing, and I can't really decide whether I like the airbrush better than the regular one. Right now I'm just using a standard brush with the opacity set to about 40%. Do you have any tips on brush settings, or what kind of brushes work best for stylized textures?

Thanks again for the help man, that paint-over looks epic and I will do my best to work on those areas :D

Level 20
I use the standard round fuzzy brush with 75 % opacity for everything I do in 3Dcoat! Glad to help ;)

Another thing! If you have problems with light direction, what you could do is set up some basic lighting on the model inside of 3D's max, use the render to texture function for "Complete map" to render the lighting out onto a texture, you can then use that as direction for where the light would logicaly fall.

Last edited:
Level 7
Oh my god. I can't wait to see how Orgrim turns out! Why'd you give his shoulder pads spikes though? In the manuals and in Warcraft III, the shoulder pads on the Doomhammer plate never had spikes. That was a WoW thing.

Level 9
Oh my god. I can't wait to see how Orgrim turns out! Why'd you give his shoulder pads spikes though? In the manuals and in Warcraft III, the shoulder pads on the Doomhammer plate never had spikes. That was a WoW thing.
I believe that while Tauer is using the Warcraft II concept for the main body of the models, of course, he's also drawing reference to this piece of art for some of the details of the armor.

You can see some other similarities to it, such as the kneeplate.

Level 7
Ah, okay I suppose that makes sense. Orgrim's my favorite orc character, so I'm happy to see a revisit of him from Tauer. :)

I hope the Doomhammer itself remains factionless like in Tauer's old Orgrim models. I have an idea for a machinima that the Blackrock logo would probably not fit.

Level 7
Tauer's made it clear he prefers classic Warcraft lore over WoW lore multiple times in the past. I don't see that changing any time soon, guys.

Level 7
Yeah but he was still only a kid at the time Warcraft 2 was around, so it's unlikely that Tauer would make a King Varian model. Personally I'd like to see his take on King Llane instead.

Level 50
Alright, next up is Doomhammer 3.0.

Nah, jk. Gul'dan WIPs:

View attachment 273647

View attachment 273646

Working on getting the proportions right. Needs to be bulky enough so he fits in with other heroes, but still doesn't look like a warrior.
Holyyyy fuck. It already looks waaay like him even without the texture. Man, you really are talented. Great job.