• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Thanks guys.

I don't like the fingers, I really prefer normal wc3 hands. (especially when wearing gauntlets). The only reason to give wc3 models modelled fingers is when they are creatures that depend on their claws/fingers to attack or at filligrane models like the naga siren.

Not really the same though, this model just has the fist shape modelled a bit more detailed, doesn't have the individual fingers modelled. I think it works alright.

Texture is getting there:

Render9.gif

Almost done with the whole body. Then I just need the shield and I can start animating.

Level 20
Looking great so far! I'd advice you to use a top/bottom gradient map on this, common thing used in stylized assets, blizz does it aswell.
Basicly just render out a top to bottom gradient from black/white on the mesh and set it to a multiply layer, makes him darker down towards the bottom keeping the focus on where it's the most important.

Level 39
I am so diggin' that shield.

Thanks, glad you like it! I think it has a little too much highlighting personally, but as I said I got a little lazy, and I'd like to get this released soon.

When will you animate it? I want it now PLEASE!!!

I am starting animation process now :)
WOAAAH :goblin_jawdrop: It's almost done! :wgrin::wgrin::wgrin:

Well, still needs animating :p I have a pretty clear idea of how the animations will look though, so unless I run into any major issues, it shouldn't take too long.

I'm gonna call it for the texture:

Render11.gif

Didn't change much, just made the crystal on his sword hilt teamcolored and added some TC glow to the eyes of the shield (not very visible in the gif).

On to animating!

Level 2
Nice work! Looking forward to the animations, and how it will characterize the model itself. By the way, do you have a plan to make another model after this one? :)

Level 12
If you're up for it, I have a suggestion for a spell animation. You could make him look like he's leading a charge into a battle, much like how the knight at the intro of WC3's cinematic did. Swinging his sword and what not :) very useful for a battle roar spell.

Level 39
Nice work! Looking forward to the animations, and how it will characterize the model itself. By the way, do you have a plan to make another model after this one? :)

Oh boy, I have a lot of plans. Too many in fact. I know some people that'll be very dissapointed if I keep delaying Zul'jin, so he will probably be next.

You've outdone yourself once again. Fantastic job! I'm always in love how good you are at striking that warcrafty feeling (proportions, texture and everything)

Thanks mate ;)

If you're up for it, I have a suggestion for a spell animation. You could make him look like he's leading a charge into a battle, much like how the knight at the intro of WC3's cinematic did. Swinging his sword and what not :) very useful for a battle roar spell.

I was actually planning on something like that. If not for the spell animation, then for a Stand Victory one.

/Intense eyegasm.

xP

Rigging took a little longer than I wanted it to because I had to redo it once.

So far I'm just trying to get the pose for Stand animations right:

Render12.gif

Roland

R

Roland

Oh my fucking god. It's it's.. Beautiful.. Oh fuck I feel like collapsing from the intense awesomeness of this Model T_T

I wonder if putting the shield down and leaning it to his leg while in stand 1, 2 or 3 would make it seem more legit...
The cape's position seems a bit awkward, almost as if it would stay motionless in thin air. I think that it needs more fluidity/better pose.

Cool set and texturing work on the other hand Tauer.
You've improved a lot in these 2 years that I followed your work.

Level 39
Thanks, appreciate the feedback guys!

Update on Stand 1 and Stand 2 Stand 2 and Stand 3:

Render15.gif

Render16.gif

Going a bit slowly because I ran into some errors with Max 2014. Apparently 2016 plays lot more nicely with Neodex, so using that instead. Also binging Stranger Things right now, but should be finished with that relatively quickly, only like 8 episodes.

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

My friend, I salute you for these glorious models and this texture's you've made. I praise you almighty modder.

Well done Tauer, you are improving a lot.

There are some minor issues however:
  • the leaning seems 'bit too low which makes it seems like he's ready to fall down anytime
  • the right leg is slightly way back as opposed to how it should be(yeah, WC exaggeration but still)
  • cape swings too much for such a small stance such as this(less motion on the lower side of it coupled with the middle section closer to his back should do)

Level 50
Great job, it looks so smoth. I would only suggest one more stand animation where he just stands without moving around, like he breathes.
And what Hardtime said, that kind of spell animation is rather cool to have. Also, shield bash, please make a shield bash animation.

Level 39
Great job, it looks so smoth. I would only suggest one more stand animation where he just stands without moving around, like he breathes.
And what Hardtime said, that kind of spell animation is rather cool to have. Also, shield bash, please make a shield bash animation.

Actually I already made that one, I accidentally wrote Stand 1 and Stand 2 on the last one. The regular idle animation is on the previous page somewhere.

Well done Tauer, you are improving a lot.

There are some minor issues however:
  • the leaning seems 'bit too low which makes it seems like he's ready to fall down anytime
  • the right leg is slightly way back as opposed to how it should be(yeah, WC exaggeration but still)
  • cape swings too much for such a small stance such as this(less motion on the lower side of it coupled with the middle section closer to his back should do)

Cool suggestions, tweaked it a bit:

Render19.gif

Render20.gif

Level 9
Looking as fantastic as ever, Tauer! He looks so intense with the heavy breathing and everything, hehe.

I know you said you had a pretty good plan for the animations but in case you hadn't though of it, might I suggest a set of "Defend" mode animations where he stands and charges with his shield up? To make the Defend-type mode a bit more "heroic" as opposed to the normal unit version, perhaps he could actually move at the same speed, if not faster, as his normal walk cycle? :D

Level 39
Looking as fantastic as ever, Tauer! He looks so intense with the heavy breathing and everything, hehe.

I know you said you had a pretty good plan for the animations but in case you hadn't though of it, might I suggest a set of "Defend" mode animations where he stands and charges with his shield up? To make the Defend-type mode a bit more "heroic" as opposed to the normal unit version, perhaps he could actually move at the same speed, if not faster, as his normal walk cycle? :D

Thanks mate :) I did consider doing a Defend animation set, but I'm not really sure. The animating process is turning out to be slow this time. For a charge animation it might make more sense to just make a Walk Fast animation instead of doing a whole set of Defend animations.

Attack 1 so far:

Render21.gif

Attack animations are always the hardest to get to look natural. Looks a lot better ingame though.

Last edited:
Level 32
Thanks mate :) I did consider doing a Defend animation set, but I'm not really sure. The animating process is turning out to be slow this time. For a charge animation it might make more sense to just make a Walk Fast animation instead of doing a whole set of Defend animations.

Attack 1 so far:

View attachment 243421

Attack animations are always the hardest to get to look natural.
This model is amazing! Though, that's quite a harsh swing for attack 1 don't you think? I hope he doesn't slice his mates behind and to the right of him.

Level 39
I know it looks a little off in that gif, but as I said it really looks better ingame. I'm just trying to give him a little flash to his fighting style, emphasize his epic warrior skills.

This angle is a little bit better, but still doesn't look as good as ingame:

Render23.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

I know it looks a little off in that gif, but as I said it really looks better ingame. I'm just trying to give him a little flash to his fighting style, emphaze his epic warrior skills.

This angle is a little bit better, but still doesn't look as good as ingame:

View attachment 243474

i could imagine it could be use as a spell animation aswell. like channel a magic on the sword and then cast it out for a shockwave spell for example.

lothar isn't a magic user, but people might find more use for it.

splendid job tauer, the model details is really amazing. you seem fast on animating. looking forward to see it in action.

Level 39
It just doesn't make sense, why would he circle the weapon when he would make a straight forward pierce attack anyway? If he would slash from above that would be something else but it clearly looks like a pearce attack rn.

Why does the Demon Hunter dual wield despite it being a highly impractical fighting style? It's the Rule of Cool, doesn't really have to make sense. I'm just trying to make the attack animations a bit more unique, instead of just being the standard slash-chop-pierce.

Not trying to sound like a dick by the way, and I will consider your feedback ;)

Last edited:
Level 51
Why does the Demon Hunter dual wield despite it being a highly impractical fighting style? It's the Rule of Cool, doesn't really have to make sense. I'm just trying to make the attack animations a bit more unique, instead of just being the standard slash-chop-pierce.

Not trying to sound like a dick by the way, and I will consider your feedback ;)

No offense taken :)

It can be discussed if the demon hunter attack style is impracitcal. The thing with your stuff is, that it seems to look not impractical but also just... non reasonable. But as you said, it looks better ingame so I'll take you on that :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Absolutely epic, man. Probably too epic for the regular game. But freakin' amazing for a campaign, methinks.

It just doesn't make sense, why would he circle the weapon when he would make a straight forward pierce attack anyway? If he would slash from above that would be something else but it clearly looks like a pearce attack rn.
Rule of Cool, man, Rule of Cool. Believe me, I've got some of that in mind myself... ;P

Level 14
I would like to say that I support the rule of cool as well! Some things may also be charming, if they are not 100% super realistic.

Tauer, please tell me you are going to share this model with all of us once you are done :D