• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Thanks guys.

How many polies does it have? It doesn't look that high so far. Noice btw.

Currently clocking in at 876 polies. Still have a few more things to add though, so final count will be slightly higher.

Make sure you make his finger, thats what make guldan guldan

Not sure about individual fingers, but I am planning on giving his left hand some more details, to be used in Spell animations.

Tweaked his face some more and started on his staff:

WIP3.jpg

WIP4.jpg

WIP5.jpg

Thanks guys.

Currently clocking in at 876 polies. Still have a few more things to add though, so final count will be slightly higher.

Not sure about individual fingers, but I am planning on giving his left hand some more details, to be used in Spell animations.

Tweaked his face some more and started on his staff:

View attachment 273690

View attachment 273691

View attachment 273692

My impression of Guldan at least is that His Finger is long and Big, Other Unit is Ok But I think Guldan's Focal Point will be his hand, With those Green Fire Burning, XDPretty sure it would look horrible if is a Square Block with those fancy green fire XD

Since His Hand mostly are relaxed and open instead of holding fist

Level 39
My impression of Guldan at least is that His Finger is long and Big, Other Unit is Ok But I think Guldan's Focal Point will be his hand, With those Green Fire Burning, XDPretty sure it would look horrible if is a Square Block with those fancy green fire XD

Since His Hand mostly are relaxed and open instead of holding fist

Oh definately, I agree. That's why I am gonna be adding some detail ;) But again I think individual fingers might be overkill, so I'm thinking somewhere more along the lines of a palm, where I can animate the thumb separately and the remaining four fingers as one bone. Don't know if you catch my meaning.

Hey now, we don't do middle fingers here. That I like that you didn't went over the top with the back spikes.

Thanks :) I was kinda torn about the back spikes. I really don't like the design and I think it makes him look like a stereotypical villain. But as paladinjst explained in this post, it does help make him look more menacing despite his otherwise frail body type. So I ended up adding them anyway.

Oh definately, I agree. That's why I am gonna be adding some detail ;) But again I think individual fingers might be overkill, so I'm thinking somewhere more along the lines of a palm, where I can animate the thumb separately and the remaining four fingers as one bone. Don't know if you catch my meaning.

Thanks :) I was kinda torn about the back spikes. I really don't like the design and I think it makes him look like a stereotypical villain. But as paladinjst explained in this post, it does help make him look more menacing despite his otherwise frail body type. So I ended up adding them anyway.

Well I didn't say need to have all finger, bUT at Least 3 fingers like what trolls are Im thinking XD and the Other hand is holding a staff so I think that one would even work if is a box hand XD

Anyway looking forward to it

Level 12
Crazy suggestion: maybe you could give him one broken fang and a few facial scars? And maybe a green oozing glow on the staff when you start work on it? Y'know, just to make him look more fel than the other Orcs. Right now I think he looks way too clean but Im still loving the work done though. Good luck mate :D

Level 50
It looks really cool already! I'm wondering if there will be a version with no staff like HotS and some other artworks. His hunched pose is pretty iconic though so I guess it's fine either way.

I think not. Tauer is always basing his models on old artworks from Warcraft I or II, so I guess he's basing him on this kind of artwork: https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/he....jpg?version=a848a31604dcce2314230e5005658a3f

About the model, looks very nice, although the green color looks too bright for me right now. But I think it's only because you just started it, you'll tinker it afterwards I guess.

Level 39
I am indeed drawing inspiration from his HotS look, but as always adding my own touch to it.

WIP17.jpg

I think not. Tauer is always basing his models on old artworks from Warcraft I or II, so I guess he's basing him on this kind of artwork: https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hearthstone.gamepedia.com/thumb/2/20/Gul'dan_pic4.jpg/300px-Gul'dan_pic4.jpg?version=a848a31604dcce2314230e5005658a3f

I believe that artwork is based on his old WoW look, not the Warcraft I/II one.

EDIT:

WIP18.jpg

Last edited:
Level 39
No need for a Gul'dan model anymore, there's already one beyound perfection in the data base :p

Nah, looking awesome. I'm always amazed at how you nail that low poly count.

Haha xD
Thanks! Polycount is actually a tad high, at about 1177 right now. Usually try to keep it under a 1000, but been letting myself go lately :p

Oh really? I didn't know. My bad.

No problem, it can be a bit hard to make sense of all the artwork. As far as I know this is the only (official) pre-WoW Gul'dan artwork:

180682-guldanmetzen.jpg

Could be wrong though.

A WIP before I go to bed:

WIP23.jpg

Note that the robe is not even remotely done yet.

Level 50
Haha xD
Thanks! Polycount is actually a tad high, at about 1177 right now. Usually try to keep it under a 1000, but been letting myself go lately :p

No problem, it can be a bit hard to make sense of all the artwork. As far as I know this is the only (official) pre-WoW Gul'dan artwork:

180682-guldanmetzen.jpg

Could be wrong though.

A WIP before I go to bed:

View attachment 273826

Note that the robe is not even remotely done yet.

I am confused because of this artwork. I thought it was from Warcraft I.

Edit: Shit, I forgot to add a link. :O
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FoH5yxEimEU/hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Level 39
I am confused because of this artwork. I thought it was from Warcraft I.

Edit: Shit, I forgot to add a link. :O
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FoH5yxEimEU/hqdefault.jpg

Nah, this is post-WoW definitely :p You can see this by how Medivh is portrayed. Here is Medivh artwork pre-WoW:
latest

And here is how he looks in WoW:
latest

As you can see the artwork you're referring to looks a lot like his WoW appearance ;)

WIP:

WIP30.jpg

Level 50
Nah, this is post-WoW definitely :p You can see this by how Medivh is portrayed. Here is Medivh artwork pre-WoW:
latest

And here is how he looks in WoW:
latest

As you can see the artwork you're referring to looks a lot like his WoW appearance ;)

WIP:

View attachment 273902
Yeah, looks like you are right. I didn't played wow so I wouldn't really know..
Gul'dan is coming along nicely.

Level 50
Considered it, but couldn't find a place that seemed fitting.

Gul'dan texture is pretty much done:

View attachment 273994
View attachment 273995
View attachment 273997

Getting ready for animating now. Also, started on Cho'Gall mesh:
View attachment 273996
Gul'dan looks awesome. Can't wait to see him in action.

Man, that mesh looks awesome. As every one you've made. Just looking at your mesh works motivates me so much to keep making my own models. Just your mesh works amaze me even without textures on them. Thank you for that.
I can't seem to figure how you made your models using box methods. I tried several times and my models just don't seem nice in the end. I still dig it.
And I got to say I am still waiting that Sargeras model from you. :D
Back in your older thread I saw you started him and it looked nice back then, I can't imagine how cool it will look now.

Level 39
Thanks guys :D

And I got to say I am still waiting that Sargeras model from you. :D
Back in your older thread I saw you started him and it looked nice back then, I can't imagine how cool it will look now.

Sargeras is still a little ways off, but I will tell you that I've got some pretty exciting plans for him! And nah, that old mesh was horrible, looking back at it now :p

Early Cho'gall texture WIP:

wip6.jpg

Gul'Dan's animations are about halfway done.

Level 30
Just about to call it for Cho'gall's face(s):

View attachment 274486

Pretty much just need to add his facial tattoos. Tweaked his skin color a bit, for better consistency with regular ogres.

Also got started on Kilrogg Deadeye mesh:

View attachment 274487
View attachment 274488

Of course based on the awesome Samwise artwork:

For Cho'gall: Nice

For Kil'rogg: Would you create a fel orc version of him? The color based on Warlords of Draenor?

Level 2
Hi @Tauer! Do you plan to make Kilrogg wield this weapon? I kind of think that this jaw bone weapon is unique and badass for a fearsome orcish chieftain like him. :nemor::nehap::necry::neap:
untitled_by_zhouboyu007-d80eg5k.jpg

Last edited:
Level 7
Tauer, are you going to do a Blackhand based on how he was depicted in Chronicles Vol. 2? These models are awesome as always!

Level 39
Hi @Tauer! Do you plan to make Kilrogg wield this weapon? I kind of think that this jaw bone weapon is unique and badass for a fearsome orcish chieftain like him. :nemor::nehap::necry::neap:

I'm not sure. Not really a fan of that weapon, but will probably give it to him unless I can think of something better.

Tauer, are you going to do a Blackhand based on how he was depicted in Chronicles Vol. 2? These models are awesome as always!

Is that the one based on his movie design? In that case no, probably not.

Cho'gall:
wip13.jpg

Kilrogg:
wip5.jpg

wip6.jpg

Mesh is pretty much done. Just needs a weapon.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Cho'gall looks really good, especially the faces. Is he going to fight with his bare hands or will you give him that hammer?

Level 39
Cho'gall looks really good, especially the faces. Is he going to fight with his bare hands or will you give him that hammer?

Thanks. He will be fighting bare handed, like in Warcraft II. I'm thinking kind of a melee/spellcaster hybrid, possibly with a Spell Attack animation set.

Cho'gall:
wip17.jpg

wip18.jpg

Kilrogg:
wip7.jpg

Decided not to go with WoD weapon. Don't really like that design, seems more like something a caveman would use, not an orcish chieftain. Went with a sword, partly because I thought it'd be fun to take inspiration from my old Kilrogg model, and partly because I always felt like a sword would be something Kilrogg would favor.

EDIT:

wip19.jpg

Last edited:
Level 49
Holy sweet lord. I've been missing out on some stuff!

Gul'dan and Cho'gall - the Palpatine and Vader of Warcraft. I'm extremely happy to see you model these two (three?). Although, I think fitting in the Stormreaver insignia on Gul'dan somewhere would really boost the Warcraft 2 feel and steer it away from WoWification. Honestly not sure where you could fit it, though. The hood perhaps?

As for the Cho'gall model - I think you should test it during a Stand animation next to the in-game Ogres. I'm a bit worried that they are too stocky and not tall enough - that wouldn't be a real problem if we didn't have normal Ogres in the game, as Cho'gall definitely need to look more imposing and gargantuan than your average Ogre Mauler. I personally think their legs could be much longer and they would still maintain that Warcraft look.

Kilrogg is also coming along nicely, though I've never really been interested in that character much. I certainly support your choice of weapon over the bone saw (although the latter does remind me of something I made once). Maybe you could further detail that sword by giving it some notches and spiky edges? Again, reminiscent of a saw. Not sure if that would be better accomplished through texture or mesh though.

Overall, great stuff. I'm always happy to see you still going at it. Hoping to see more from you for a long while still. :)

Level 16
I personally would go with an axe or a mace for Kilrogg, I don't think the sword was too common amongside orcs, well or maybe its my mainstream way of thinking.

Level 39
Oh it's just too good.

<3

Holy sweet lord. I've been missing out on some stuff!

Hey man, good to see you here! I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you yet XD

Gul'dan and Cho'gall - the Palpatine and Vader of Warcraft. I'm extremely happy to see you model these two (three?). Although, I think fitting in the Stormreaver insignia on Gul'dan somewhere would really boost the Warcraft 2 feel and steer it away from WoWification. Honestly not sure where you could fit it, though. The hood perhaps?

It's funny, I actually planned on adding the Stormreaver insignia very early on. It was in my mind the whole time, but by the time I actually got to the texturing part I realized that I had wrapped everything so it was mirrored. Seeing as the Stormreaver is asymmetrical:
latest

I couldn't really find any place to add it where it wouldn't look dumb. If I added it to the belt/belly plate thingy, it would be completely symmetrical and wouldn't at all look like a wave in a storm. If I added it anywhere else there would be two of them. So I ended up giving up and coming up with a symmetrical design, hence the weird skull face in its stead :p

As for the Cho'gall model - I think you should test it during a Stand animation next to the in-game Ogres. I'm a bit worried that they are too stocky and not tall enough - that wouldn't be a real problem if we didn't have normal Ogres in the game, as Cho'gall definitely need to look more imposing and gargantuan than your average Ogre Mauler. I personally think their legs could be much longer and they would still maintain that Warcraft look.

Definitely. Have already been testing the mesh ingame with some regular ogres. He seems to look a bit scrawny around the arms, so I've been tweaking the mesh a bit. But a lot of it will also have to do with the stance as you mentioned. Regarding the legs, I'm not sure. I modeled it with his HotS model as reference. I'll try comparing with the regular ogres to see if they need to be longer.

Kilrogg is also coming along nicely, though I've never really been interested in that character much. I certainly support your choice of weapon over the bone saw (although the latter does remind me of something I made once). Maybe you could further detail that sword by giving it some notches and spiky edges? Again, reminiscent of a saw. Not sure if that would be better accomplished through texture or mesh though.

Funny, Kilrogg was never my favorite character either! I mostly felt compelled to make him because of the badass Samwise concept. Probably my favorite artwork. Good idea about adding some more details to the sword.

Overall, great stuff. I'm always happy to see you still going at it. Hoping to see more from you for a long while still. :)

Thanks mate! I have plans for quite a lot of models yet and I've been feeling pretty motivated lately. Hopefully I'll be able to get them finished in the near future :)

I personally would go with an axe or a mace for Kilrogg, I don't think the sword was too common amongside orcs, well or maybe its my mainstream way of thinking.

That's kinda why I chose it ;) Getting kinda tired of all orcs having axes or blunt weapons. I wanna see some orcs with swords, besides the Blademaster. Think I'll be sticking to this one :p

No WIPs for now. Been kinda busy today, only just got home. Booting up 3Ds Max now :D

Level 39
Cho'gall is finished.

poster.jpg

Damn! I've been missing this thread <3 Really promising stuff there man! I'm truly glad to see you're keeping up the good work!

Thanks dude! Always nice to hear from you :)

Super sexy models, dude!

Thank you man! Haven't seen you here in forever xP

Next up is Kilrogg. Will probably take a little while, haven't even unwrapped him yet. Might be taking a break for a week or so, as I'll be a bit busy. But 3 models in about two weeks is probably a record for me anyway :D

Last edited: