• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #8 - Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Alright, that's it, I quit. Map got corrupted again and I don't want to start all over again.
I'll try again if I get enough motivation but for now, I quit.
It's probably just a bad model or texture. I had a bad terrain texture once that got corrupt whenever i replaced an imported file. All I did was use MPQ Master on the map to delete imports until I found the problem. You'd be able to open the map once the corrupt import was deleted.

Level 23
It's probably just a bad model or texture. I had a bad terrain texture once that got corrupt whenever i replaced an imported file. All I did was use MPQ Master on the map to delete imports until I found the problem. You'd be able to open the map once the corrupt import was deleted.

I'll try that, Gonna be hard though, I imported a lot of models at once.

It has been a while since I showed any progress of my work... =)

Tickles you have made such nice progress lol. Mind if I ask where you got models as well the info box things? Or is it all custom-made models? Though not original... An actual prison.... =P If you get full marks on originality I will whack them judges with uther's hammer.

I wonder how everybody else is doing, not many progress reports... =(

Level 21
I'll try that, Gonna be hard though, I imported a lot of models at once.
Still probably a lot easier than remaking the entire thing again :xxd: Good luck finding the issue!
It has been a while since I showed any progress of my work... =)
Pfft, did you post any WIPs yet? You're leaving us in the dark here about what you're making. It's scary in the dark :sad:
Mind if I ask where you got models as well the info box things? Or is it all custom-made models?
Most of the doodads were made by WindexIsBack1 and reposted by Pharaoh_ when Windex's links were corrupt. I can post the pack up or send them to anyone that needs them, because I haven't seen them around for a while. The rest were all edits from models I used in previous maps or TGAs turned into models using the model editor (like the dialogue bubbles).

I see... Cool, also I wouldn't mind a link to that pack.

Indeed it is scary in the dark. . . ( It took me a while to learn how to do a video however I finally figured it out! =) ) :ogre_hurrhurr:

Yes I did post a WIP.... I knew it nobody bothers to even look at my entries >.> :ogre_rage:

So yeah check it out, Dat-C3 is finally on a roll *and* finally on a challenging level with Tickles. :thumbs_up:

:grin: Beware Tickles I might win this time :wink:

Still.... Making videos is difficult, and definitely tough at first. Now I can make epic previews like everyone else.

Attachments

• o.o.jpg
    o.o.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 80
Level 21
I totally had no idea what to make of that picture you posted a while back. Anyway, here's the map with the model pack imported. The models should all be there.

Attachments

• 8927_Second_Batch_Mo.w3x
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
Level 30

Indeed it is scary in the dark. . . ( It took me a while to learn how to do a video however I finally figured it out! =) ) :ogre_hurrhurr:

Yes I did post a WIP.... I knew it nobody bothers to even look at my entries >.> :ogre_rage:

So yeah check it out, Dat-C3 is finally on a roll *and* finally on a challenging level with Tickles. :thumbs_up:

Still.... Making videos is difficult, and definitely tough at first. Now I can make epic previews like everyone else.

Interesting and awesome WiP out there, Dat-C3. I like what your map is going into. I am interested to play this so make sure you finish this!

+4 REP for an awesome WiP.

This is an early WIP, beta of the first riddle... Interactive environment, and a puzzle to be solved.
Enjoy, and tell me your opinion :D

NOTE: Terrain is shitty, I know. I didn't even try to make it look good, I tried to make it work for the gameplay. When I finish the technical stuff and gameplay, I will rework the entire terrain.

Attachments

• MMC Escape.w3x
    564.6 KB · Views: 71
Level 21
This is an early WIP, beta of the first riddle... Interactive environment, and a puzzle to be solved.
Enjoy, and tell me your opinion :D

NOTE: Terrain is shitty, I know. I didn't even try to make it look good, I tried to make it work for the gameplay. When I finish the technical stuff and gameplay, I will rework the entire terrain.
A wide variety of character types is always cool. Character attacks and movement feel a bit sluggish (other than the ghost's movement). The spearwoman leaves this ugly yellow goop on the floor when she attacks, and the magician's model and animations are screwed up.

Interesting use of the alpha tile. It's just a bit hard to distinguish between the cliff sides and the base terrain. Using something like dirt terrain instead of grey stones would look better. Braziers are currently walkable, and I was able to climb up onto them at certain points between pathing blockers.

The grid is a nice touch :goblin_good_job: There should be a little guidance about what to do, but I really like how it flows and how it can kill you easily if you're not paying close enough attention. Puzzles like that are perfect for escape maps.

A wide variety of character types is always cool. Character attacks and movement feel a bit sluggish (other than the ghost's movement). The spearwoman leaves this ugly yellow goop on the floor when she attacks, and the magician's model and animations are screwed up.

Interesting use of the alpha tile. It's just a bit hard to distinguish between the cliff sides and the base terrain. Using something like dirt terrain instead of grey stones would look better. Braziers are currently walkable, and I was able to climb up onto them at certain points between pathing blockers.

The grid is a nice touch :goblin_good_job: There should be a little guidance about what to do, but I really like how it flows and how it can kill you easily if you're not paying close enough attention. Puzzles like that are perfect for escape maps.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Yeah, most models are in beta for now, I consider them to be purely cosmetic, so after the technical stuff is done, I will rework them too. Same goes for the terrain, I already gathered some HQ doodads and tiles which should take less than 1mb of space when imported, but I won't implement them just yet :D

@Zenonoth: Screenies are fairly good :) They resemble the human campaign terrains a lot in my opinion :D

Last edited:
Mini-Mapping Contest#9: Escape

My Entry

Zenonoth Presents

Escape From Tichondrius
sBoxDr5.jpg

h2qef.gif

Genre: Survival, Escape.
Author: Zenonoth.
Suggested Players: 3-5 Players.

''As Lordaeron lies in ruins following the Burning Legion's entry to Azeroth; the Demon Lords, Tichondrius, Mannoroth and Archimonde discuss their plans for invading Kalimdor after learning of the Orcs departure in the western continent.

However, before Tichondrius would follow his fellow demon lords to Kalimdor, he is to drain the souls of whatever villagers he could find in order to rejuvenate his strength before he departs''

i26sx.gif

• Your mission is to evade being slain by Tichondrius for 30 minutes! if you elude him that long then he will become desperate and teleport away ignoring his lust for your soul; thus granting you victory.

• Each player is given control of the new Sorceress hero unit that has various abilities which suits this map's stalling environment

- Firebolt: Stuns the target for 5 seconds.
- Rescue Knight: Summons a Knight that taunts off Tichondrius & his Demons as well as destroying destructible crates and barrels to reveal their components.

- Silence: Silences all enemy units in an area.
- Polymorph: Transforms a target enemy unit into a sheep.
- Slow: Slows movement and attack speed.
- Siphon Mana: Drains Mana.
- Mana Shield: A protective shield that defends you at the cost of mana.

• Not only can you use your various abilities to stun or delay Tichondrius but you can also use them on your fellow Sorceress companions to stun or slow them while Tichondrius is attacking them in order to ensure their destruction.

• When a Sorceress is slain, she'll drop a Tome of Dalaran which greatly increases your stats and is extremely valuable, that is a reason why you should harbor little love for your companions and would rather assist Tichondrius by weakening them that you may claim the tome for your own.

• You can also pickup Necromancer's Rod from the corpses of the Necromancers that were slain during the war with the Undead, this Rod can dispel magic effects from either you, your fellow Sorceresses or Tichondrius.

• Tichondrius also possesses powerful abilities that will prove difficult for you to counter:

- Fury of The Legion: Tichondrius increases his attack speed by 40% and movement speed by 25%
- Summon Felhounds: Tichondrius summons Felhounds that can attack and mana drain Sorceresses every 180 seconds.
- Life Drain: Drains 40 Life (Easy Mode), 50 Life (Normal Mode), 60 Life (Hard Mode) per second and gives it to Tichondrius.
- Haste: Grants 0% (Easy Mode). 15% (Normal Mode). 30% (Hard Mode) attack speed.
- Speed: Grants 0 (Easy Mode). 60 (Normal Mode). 120 (Hard Mode) movement speed.

- Orb of Fire: (Easy, Normal, Hard Mode) Adds 5 fire damage bonus to Tichondrius + causes his attacks to do Splash damage.
- Orb of Slow: ( Normal Mode, Hard Mode) Adds 6 slow damage bonus to Tichondrius + gives his attacks a chance to slow an enemy's movement speed.
- Orb of Poison: (Hard Mode) Adds 5 nature damage bonus to Tichondrius + causes his attacks to slow an enemy's movement speed.

z814z.gif

- Staff by Matarael
- Hero Glow by assassin lord
- Potions by Ket & Frankster
- Scarecrow by Shadow_killer

Remark
Suggest and Comment!

Attachments

• MiniMapping Contest#9 Escape.w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Level 25

Suggestions:
- Allow players to unlock the camera
- Add a different way to select difficulty. Either by voting with an automatic dialog, or place circles of power on the group to allow players to vote with their units.
- Remove the "-spawn" command, and simply spawn the players' heroes.
- Since the map is very small, 2 minutes before the dread lord arrives is very long. 30-45 seconds should be fine.
- Exploit: (possibly more places, take a look at the pathing)
attachment.php

This is of course mitigated by Felhounds, but if you can kill/disable them, it becomes a very safe haven.
- You should maybe let dead players respawn as demon slaves so that they have something to do.

- Yay multiplayer!
- Terrain is decent - enough detail to be better than plain, but not so much that it detracts from the gameplay.
- Interface and objectives are very clear.
- Cooldowns are very long. If players play aggressively, I can see them dying very often.
- No triggers went off when I (the last and only player) died.

Note I only tested it in singleplayer, so I can't comment much on balance.

Anyway it looks good, a solid entry.

Attachments

• exploit.jpg
    exploit.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 430
In the middle, there are houses right? You can enter an opening but the Nathrezim can't.
- Exploit: (possibly more places, take a look at the pathing)

- Fixed most exploitable places + added a small collision radius for Felhounds so that they can also catch you should you try to exploit.

- Allow players to unlock the camera

- I can't do that, players will then be able to easily designate the locations of Necromancer Vendors as well as debris.

- Add a different way to select difficulty. Either by voting with an automatic dialog, or place circles of power on the group to allow players to vote with their units.

- Sure, will work on it.

- Remove the "-spawn" command, and simply spawn the players' heroes.

- The ''-spawn'' command is meant to be there so that each player can spawn their own heroes by themselves. and that is made because if they're already spawned and they die by Tichondrius then they'd drop a tome that greatly increases your stats granting you unfair advantage.

- Since the map is very small, 2 minutes before the dread lord arrives is very long. 30-45 seconds should be fine.

- Timer reduced to 60 seconds

- No triggers went off when I (the last and only player) died.

- You should maybe let dead players respawn as demon slaves so that they have something to do.

- It won't be fitting to respawn them as demon slaves so I enabled spectator mode upon being slain to either watch or assist your allies

- Cooldowns are very long. If players play aggressively, I can see them dying very often.

- They're actually meant to be long, you're to use the abilities wisely as you level + improvise your strategy, this will be more fitting in a multiplayer game, hence the suggested players size.

Example: You can use Firebolt + Polymorph + Rescue Knight to lockdown another Sorceress but then you'll have next to no defense against Tichondrius or his Felhounds and vice versa.

Last edited:
Level 21
It's a fun map for the first few minutes, but it feels a bit repetitive just running from a single hostile force after a while. Adding something like natural disasters which can both hinder or help you might make the game a lot more interesting. Tornadoes could grow in size and slow, damage or toss units around that get too close. Earthquakes could slow, damage, stun or knock units down. Thunderstorms could randomly strike down and stun, damage units, or destroy a portion of mana.

Also, you could periodically add beneficial runes at random areas on the ground which give small boosts. Even if they only restore something like 5 mana, it still gives the players something to look out for while avoiding Tichondrius. It also gives some light competition between players and a reason to leave exploitable areas.

Level 9
Oh well, I decided to visit the Hive right in time to see this, looks like I will be mappin' again soon!

I've got some decent ideas and like all my maps, I will keep it Warcraftish meaning that it will have just the regular Wc3 gameplay, no fancy cameras, no weird models, just like a Wc3 campaign.

Good luck y'all!

Level 7
Hey people! I was long time gone, but now i randomly visited this site again and stumbled across this contest ^^ Thinking about joining this, i love the topic, so if i get myself to programming in w3 once again i might try it ^^

(Remember me? :D Or now? ^^ )

How many ppl join these contests nowadays? (on average?)
Or are there enough judges? Maybe that would be more fitting as i'm not sure if i can create anything valuable soon :p

Last edited:
Urm. Here's my wip so far.
Currently just containing the terrain so far. Thanks to tobyfat50 for the models provided, although each tree variant seems to using 2 different unique textures that are taking up alot of the file size.

I've also made my own camera system thingy.
I'm hoping that it actually works in multiplayer as this native seems a bit questionable that I'm using. :v
GetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_ANGLE_OF_ATTACK)

It might not look anything like an escape so far, although this is still just a wip. ^^

Attachments

• WFE Wip1 [DeathChef].w3x
    4.8 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Level 21
Urm. Here's my wip so far.
I see where you're going with the snowy terrain. It makes for some nice scenery, but those file sizes are too insanely large for what you get out of them. I suggest either opening the textures in BLP Lab and saving with lower qualities, or shrink the textures down in an image editing program. Even the dire wolf model sizes can be cut in half using MDX/M3 Optimizer. The only thing that probably shouldn't be shrunk down is the currently unused Icecrown dirt terrain tile. You can probably get the map's file size down to 1-2mb after compressing the files.

Looking forward to seeing the final results of the wintery terrain, and just in time for Christmas :goblin_good_job:

This gave me a new idea:

An escape ...

• where the area-of-view (fog-of-war) is not connected to your unit
  • you will have to move the unit into the area-of-view, else your unit will loose life.
  • monsters spawn around and some of them you should avoid, others you can kill
  • there are also villagers that need your help
  • powerups can increase the life/view area/give you auto-follow for a limited time.
  • can be multiplayer (teams, free for all) or singleplayer (computers, single-person survival)

If anyone wanna do it, go ahead. I'm a lazy boy :D

Last edited:
Well, I want to be honest, I have an entry on WIP since this contest begun, but time is pretty short for me and I'm pretty much lazy to finish it, I might however, finish it as a map submission in the future.

EDIT :

Here's an image of the map that I promised before, it's pretty much dull and 3% or less finished, this is why I never show WIP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Why not just use CTRL + PRINT and paste into PAINT to create a screenshot? :D
Isn't this way too complicated? Or are you afraid someone will have a tool that converts screenshots to warcraft 3 maps? :p

1 Reason, my computer ain't got network connection since my wifi broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.