• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #2 - Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
attachment.php

Wip

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    704.4 KB · Views: 157
Level 1
oho i bet nobody remembers my post but i think i quit this contest cause im not fast enough to fix all the bugs <.<

Level 16
~Tidal Defense~
A Work in Progress

What is Tidal Defense?
Tidal Defense is a survival map revolving around the concept of pushing enemies into water. You cannot attack, but the water will hurt the enemy units (and yourself as well). Players are given four unique abilities to push and pull enemies into the water. The game takes place over the duration of 10 rounds, in which you gain an additional skill point for usage at the end of each round. You can play this game solo or with a friend, the difficulty adjusts to compensate.​

How do I play Tidal Defense?
With style of course! No more auto attacking or spell spamming survival games. This game relies solely on spells, designed to push and pull your fiery enemies into their watery tombs. This game rewards quick thinking and ingenuity, and punishes players for being cornered or chased into the water.​

Game Information
  • Units take 20 damage per second from standing in water
  • Players have 100 health and mana. At the end of each round, you gain full mana, and an additional 10 health.
  • Units will only have 66% of their regular health if only a single player is present
  • Units will automatically move back to land if pushed into water, and move in a designated loop

Category Accomplished To Do Percent Done
Terrain Finished base terrain, is playable and fully functioning.
Sufficient trees/enviroment doodads placed.
Maybe add moving/dynamic doodads 90%
Object Editor 1 Hero, 1 enemy unit,
1 spell tooltip created.
Finish 3-4 more enemy units,
finish the rest of the tooltips for spells
35%
Trigger Editor Finish movement/return to systems,
and finished water damage system. 1 Spell fully functional.
Finish spells, create wave settings and player difficulty. Maybe add multiboard 55%
Imports Imported and credited 3 different models Import matching icons 75%
Miscellaneous Changed gameplay constants to fit game Fix some UI stuff 60%

Screenshot, showing a Mage Power Pushing a Flame Elemental into the acidic water
WC3ScrnShot_090311_105836_01.jpg

An Alpha version of the map is attached. Only 1 spell is currently available. It is not in a playable condition. Don't whine that it isn't fun yet. I will almost certainly be able to finish this map inside of the deadline.

Comments/suggestions to my idea/map are very welcome, especially from our judges.

Attachments

• Tidal Defense.w3x
    335.9 KB · Views: 31
The Minefield

The Minefield is Survival Defense map where are two sides. One side (miners) must blow up another side (sappers) using not attack but a limited amount of mines!
Sappers have a lot of counter-abilities but miners have a lot of mines to choose for killing sappers.
Red player choosing the mode.
Modes: -easy, -norm, -hard
Info about modes can be found ingame (Press F9).

This is beta version of the map. If I upload some fresh stuff later count it as final.

Credits:
Awesome Editor, Standard Icons [Blizzard Entertainment]
Nuclear Mine [icon - Matarael | model - RED BARON]
Auto-Exploding Mine [model - shamanyouranus]
INV_Misc_Gear_01 has an unknown author so I don't know who must be credited :[
Autoblow [icon - Muoteck]
Explode [icon - bigapple90]
Nuclear Missile Ready Sound [Blizzard Ent. - StarCraft]
Rocket Explode [icon - 4eNNightmare]
Swiftness [icon - Eraser|85]
Sapper Chance [icon - CRAZYRUSSIAN]
Interface [by unwirklich]

Post your ideas and comments below please.

Attachments

• The_Minefield_Hive.w3x
    858.7 KB · Views: 36
Oh dear, so far I don't have any suggestions o_O everything seems so perfect, the triggers, the terrain, the idea, ...
Although that fire elemental model is really bad, I would suggest you find a different model.

edit:
@Minefield, looks very nice, except for those river rushes, the model is terrible D: Try finding a better one in the Ultimate terraining map.
Next why not just show a dialog to the host for the difficulty selection?
Also why are the buildings placed in a weird way?
Oh and a preview image? :3
Custom models for the environment would've been nice, a custom tree model, fitting stone models(the default ones are too bright).

Level 16
Yeah, I perused the model section and the skin section, and I liked that one the best. I'll try using the default Lava Spawn for now. My other imported materials are the [self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/lavacolossus-158880/?prev=search%3Dlava%2520colossus%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20]Lava Colossus[/self] and the [self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/heroavatarflame-blp-126391/?prev=search%3Dflame%2520avatar%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20]Avatar of Flame[/self], should I toss them or keep them?

Thanks for the feedback VengeanceKael. It's nice to know a judge thinks I'm on the right track :)

Of course you can. You have a few bonus hours after the deadline to upload your map.

Any suggestions for me :(?
Not really ;_; It's just a screenshot with a misleading terrain and I don't exactly know what the map is about.

This is the swarm where a town was someday. That's and atmosphere time gap.
lolwat

@Jazz, those models are nice <3

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Oh dear, so far I don't have any suggestions o_O everything seems so perfect, the triggers, the terrain, the idea, ...
Although that fire elemental model is really bad, I would suggest you find a different model.
Bro I see you're not coding a lot :D
I like the idea, terrain is nice (Jazztastic please, in the middle of map you put small island - remake is into small mountain with waterfalls or boiling waterpool, it will make the circle much more attractive) but coding can be improved. Should I tell the details? No, because it gonna be unfair for others although I can warn him that code can be much more effective (small tips: one of triggers leak, two triggers can be cut with formula usage).

@Fan you gave only pictures but I already love it. Great idea with woman (guess whats the award for that guardian after succesfull escape ^^).

@Bugz terrain seems nice, but again screenshot provide no gameplay informations.

@bowser499 checking your map.. will add info in a sec.

EDIT: Is your map supposed to be multiplayer one? Since writing mode doesn't change the fact that hero can defeat nothing.
Codings seems okey (MUI/lagless) although if we are talking about Jass you can improve it much further than Jazztastic his GUI scripts. Terrain fits the 'mine' theme. Keep it going.

Last edited:
Level 16
Thanks Spinnaker, I found the leak right after you pointed it out. And I know the coding is somewhat inefficient on two of the triggers, the ones that deal with unit movement. If I have free time at the end, I shall try to address this. It's fine right now though, it works like I need it to, and there are other things that aren't working at all, so you might see where this is in my priority list.

I don't think I'm going to edit the terrain too much, especially since the unit movement is down and I don't really want to do that part again. Maybe I'll add a small volcano in the middle which can't be walked upon, and a small mountain in the corner with a waterfall. I'll probably import some terraining materials if time permits, the whole "Get stuff done taht needs to be done" is still taking precedence though.

Level 26
some update from me:
planned 8 heroes, decided to go for 3 or 4 for the weekend, because I simply could not finish in time otherwise:D
Finished my tavern and my 3 heroes aswell(1 tank, 1 healer, 1 supportive melee damage dealer). might aswell add a ranged caster or damage dealer if I find some more time tomorrow, but I doubt it, because I still have to set up the wave triggers, the move triggers and I guess even some basic ai.

I also included the map this time to get at least somefeedback on it. I also wish that I could have worked more on the terrain, but I doubt that I can make some mayor edits on it in my missing time(maybe some trees here and there might work) :/

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=kmj9am

I have worked hard on finishing my map and should be 100% bug and lag free but once again I have made a map that requires many people to play with so i don't expect a lot of votes once again D:.
Anyhow Spinnaker the water puddles are just an added effect to the terrain but thanks for feedback even though I couldn't read it until now:p.
Also if anyone has some suggestions I may update the map or else I may just leave it at this until the main contest starts.
Also note that this is the fist time that I have ever used village tile set and also any terrain familiar to using village doodads so this was new to me.

Attachments

• Eliminate the Terrorist v1.0.w3x
    89.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Village Screenshot.jpg
    Village Screenshot.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 69
Level 16
Bugz Presents

Ancient Hero Defense
* Work in progress *

Map Info:

In the ancient times of history, a Warlord was chosen to attack the secret's of the tomb. A Lich was the only one back to defend it. Trough force and might will he change the destiny?

Features:

* Unit spawn system
* Ultimate hero control

More to come

Something else about map:

Map will be continued in the mini-mapping contest #5

Screenshot:

attachment.php

Notes:

Terrain: 100 %
Triggers: 0%
Unit's and hero: 0%

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    962.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
@Figuer, add some water doodads
@, ¦@#¦@##°|¢¬§, that is a HUGE map. Yeah the castle area still looks empty, also y u no add custom spells.
But I suggest you start working on the main triggers right away if you wanna get finished.
@DeathChef, instead of all those bridges, just use a tile from the Ultimate Terraining map and then put some Wall End doodads to the sides.
The city also looks very weird, there are almost only houses and trees, but no benches, people, fountains, ...
And the way you've used those 2 terrain tiles makes it even weirder, how about a road going around the map with its own terrain tile.
I haven't checked the triggers yet.
@Bugz, doesn't that seem a bit short? It seems like there are going to be 2 heroes fighting each other until one of them wins and I don't understand the terrain, it looks like a maze o_O
@bowser, looks nice and great idea!
@Fan, yes of course.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Progress:
Terrain: 100%
Code: 75%
OE Work: 20% (Lua scripts weren't working out -_-')

Oh and I came up with an awesome name for my map :D
Destromath TD!
Waffles TD sounds wierd :3

And what I have told you? Even you were talking about bugs with Lua, and I'm pretty sure you lost a lot of time on it. In normal (not weekend) contest you have enough time to experiment but.. it's not that contest unfortunately ;/

Ok guys, I probably won't comment anything today since.. TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

FUCK EVERYTHING!!!

Level 51
Who says Vulcano doodad looks horrible?!

3.JPG

Okay, it's just the vulcano doodad and a clusterfuck of crystals and glow, but it looks nice :3

Anyway, I'm going to work non stop on the triggers this afternoon to get finished, hopefully I'm going to make it.

Also, I've thought of a special ability system:

You have 2 base abilites. When killing a demon you'll earn a demon soul, which will show at the place of lumber. When having for example 5 demon souls, you'll get a speacial ability.

I've done some minor changes since I can't write AI in time...

The Minefield v1.0b:
- Fixed an issue that lets players upgrade their skills before red player choose a mode.
- Fixed a problem when red player can't be found ingame so mode cannot be entered.
- Added an ability 'Select Command Center'.
- Added minimap preview.

The only cons I see is the map is not single player.

Attachments

• TheMinefield1.0b.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.