• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map in a Month Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Im thinking of entering my new map that i started working on today but I'd like some clarifications for some rules.
First up, it says that the map will be judged by triggers/object data and creators should add "comments" for the triggers, does this mean all contest entries must be unprotected? Im not too keen on releasing any of my maps unprot (im not implying that any of you guys would steal it).

Secondly, related to the first though. How exacly will triggers and object data be judged? Lets say for example I made an unit which only purpose is only to act as a visual effect, I based it on a footman and changed only the model, the unit is locussed (making it unselectable so players could only see it but not click it), and i havent changed a single other data on the unit. Would this be judged as "bad" object editing?
Bit same for triggers, if I were to just copy a trigger without renaming the copied trigger, would this also count as "bad" triggering? What exacly will the judges judge with the triggers. How effective they are? Do they work without bugs? How clear do they look (for other people, creators always tend to see their own triggers very clearly)? Will also leak clearing be a big part of the trigger part of judging? If the map is lagless, but not even a single leak has been cleaned in it, will it be judged as "bad" triggering?

If i came off bit confusing an overall clarification of the object data and triggering judging would be sufficiant.

Level 18
I'll try to clear things up a bit. You'll be based on how well you use the object editor as in good tool tips and balanced units/spells/etc, don't worry about dummy units etc they would not be counted as 'bad' object data. As for triggers you'll be based on how well they work and how much lag they cause (Especially if the map is meant to be multiplayer), if the map is lag free but not every leak is cleaned you don't have to worry ^^. The triggers will also be judged on their efficiency, for instance green td has 1 trigger for each wave, whereas my td has two for all of the waves. The triggers do not have to be easily readable to others, though I would like you to add in comments explaining the trigger (Basically the trigger's algorithm) to make it easier for the judges to read, as it can be quite hard reading other's triggers.

As for stealing maps, yes the maps have to be unprotected, but you send the maps to me so the only ones who will get a copy are the judges, and you can release a protected version for the public polls if you wish.

-*meow*

Level 16
Okay thanks for your quik reply, that cleared things out nicely. I'll enter that map to the contest:

Map Name: Mini-Me's Super Bomberman
Genre: Arena/Other
Estimated Time to Complete: Before the contests deadline :)

I propably wont be scoring points for originality as there have been quite few bomberman maps already made, but did i see right that originality of the map isnt one of the judging criterias? :)

Level 18
Okay thanks for your quik reply, that cleared things out nicely. I'll enter that map to the contest:

Map Name: Mini-Me's Super Bomberman
Genre: Arena/Other
Estimated Time to Complete: Before the contests deadline :)

I propably wont be scoring points for originality as there have been quite few bomberman maps already made, but did i see right that originality of the map isnt one of the judging criterias? :)

Ahh, but that's why we have the S Factor, to judge you on whatever the fuck we want to judge you on XD.

Added Mini-Me to the entries.

-*meow*

Level 25
I havent worked on mine since i started it :bored:

But I'll get to it soon, worry ye not.

About the unprotectedness: I believe that every map should be unprotected - for the sake of noobs, and for warcraft 3 mapping not to die out because a few high-and-mighty dudes dont want their ideas or maps stolen. (P.S. I know it ain't nice to have your map stolen, even if it's a bad one.)

Level 16
Are you calling me high-and-mighty? If you are.....i'll take it as a compliment :).

And 'for the sake of the noob' its better that he learned the stuff by himself and not copy paste someone elses triggers. After all, why does every forum dedicated to wc3 modding have a 'help zone'. You guessed it, for people to get help, ask their questions and receive answers.

Level 36
Of course not :p As I said I want to get my project done as it will be uber sweet, but since mine is a christmas map, well if it isn't done before christmas then it just isn't the same now is it? So, if it doesn't get done by my seasonal deadlines, then I would like to judge because that would be a lot of fun :)

Level 16
Right another question (I seem to have a lot of them :)), can we publish our contest works before the contest has ended? Cause I got my map ready and I'd like to make it public, didnt see anything about it in the rules, is that ok?

Level 18
Right another question (I seem to have a lot of them :)), can we publish our contest works before the contest has ended? Cause I got my map ready and I'd like to make it public, didnt see anything about it in the rules, is that ok?

Sure, the whole idea of any map-making contest is to promote the making of good-quality maps. And seeing as you're finshed, send me a link to an unprotected version.

-*meow*

Status
Not open for further replies.