• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Fortress Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The idea of this challenge is to construct a fortress, using only Blizzard doodads.
The purpose of this contest is to demonstrate the capability of terrainers when restricted to the materials Blizzard has provided.

Rules and Guidelines
- Your terrain must include a fortress (obviously.)
- The fortress must be complete. The surrounding area does not have to be finished. The
map does not have to be playable.
- No models or textures can be used, with the expection of the tablenolegs model
- The theme of the fortress is completely up to you, but be creative. I don't want to see a
dozen Lordaeron/Village themed castles.
- The usual rules apply (no stealing other peoples work, etc.)
- No team work. Only 1 person is allowed per terrain.
- Must submit the map and 3 or more screenshots.
Prize: The winner will receive +35 rep, and an award icon. Second place will receive +20, and third +10. All runners up will receive a consolation prize (small amount of rep.)

Deadline: You will have 5 weeks to complete the terrain. The contest will end on February 10th. The deadline will reduced or extended depending on the number of entries.

The winner will be determined by a public pole.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hey I was working on a fortress for my new map project! haha anyways i wont submit it bcuz i know its village themed and all, but it's efficient enough for my map. By february my whole map will be done, so might as well submit the entire thing. Hopefull no one else submits village themed. Hahhaa

Level 2
so terrain editing and placing building inside fortress are they allowed?
otherwise i have to start again my 20 minute effort gone to waste....

still sounds like fun, can you hear fun?

Level 45
The idea of this challenge is to construct a fortress, using only Blizzard doodads.
The purpose of this contest is to demonstrate the capability of terrainers when restricted to the materials Blizzard has provided.

-The map does not have to be playable
- You do not have to finish the entire map, as long as the fortress itself is
complete

Rules and Guidelines
- Your terrain must include a fortress (obviously.)
- The fortress must be complete. The surrounding area does not have to be finished. The map does not have to be playable.
- No imported doodads/destructables can be used, with the expection of the tablenolegs model

i think you need to read first before posting..

Level 1
Heh, I'd submit my Castle Defence that I've been working on.... but I know a lot of people are gonna have a lot better of a terrain then that.

Level 3
im in :D
this is my first time in some "Challenge" so do i jus create the fortress then attach it when i ever?

Level 3
The Ice Golems Layer

Frostfire Cavern (WIP)

The Ice Golem is a magical and powerful being, with a magical and powerful home. The Frostfire Cavern, a small cave of ice, with a protective moat, wall of frostflame, and heavy fortified icy walls that proves to be incredibly powerful.

inhk6.jpg

outkz3.jpg

Last edited:
Level 25
More WIPs, the last for today.

PS: nice entry, jarrardko, great use of those chains and all :grin:

Attachments

• gnollfort2.jpg
    gnollfort2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 163
  • gnollfort3.jpg
    gnollfort3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 138
  • gnollfort4.jpg
    gnollfort4.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 167
  • gnollfort5.jpg
    gnollfort5.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 124
  • gnollfort6.jpg
    gnollfort6.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 125
  • gnollfort7.jpg
    gnollfort7.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 95
  • gnollfort8.jpg
    gnollfort8.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 118
  • gnollfort9.jpg
    gnollfort9.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 127
  • gnollfort10.jpg
    gnollfort10.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 124
Level 10
Crap. No way I'm gonna get close to winning in this. =P

Although it looks like we may have to add more prizes. . .=D

Oh. . .I'm assuming the misctext file for raising terrain is a valid tool? (Or just using WEU to raise terrain)

Last edited:
Level 8
I have complete terrainers block, and everything i have tried has ended up pretty horrible. So im not gonna do it :(, specially after seeing what rulerofirons done

Level 3
ya i think im out, my fortress consists of cool temples and stuff, but they make their envirement and just the feel of it look awesome, nmine has no feel to it.

Level 3
Non Graphical Updates: The Hilly foundations for the cave are almost done and look pretty nice, i'm starting the roof next then i'll start making the higher buildings and place the guards. I'll post the wips with the roof and foundations soon, maybe another building.

Level 25
A small tip for making good terrains:
do NOT randomly place things, place ONE DOODAD AT A TIME. Then scale it and rotate it until you are happy with it. Keep a certain picture in your mind and shape your terrain to be like that. It takes very long, but it's worth it :grin:

These contests aren't about winning, its just about making terrain and improving your own skills for others to see :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 4
w00t w00t

This challenge soundz really interesting, I think I might do it but not gain first place, lol. AWSOME!!!!

Level 27
Well you cant place every doodads exactly where you want if creating nature envirements,

Well my fortress is pretty large Oo.... i will finish is offcourse but its just large :p

EDIT - I HAVE A QUESTIAN!!!! YEAH OVER HERE!!!! ... more to the right,,left,stop! good! now look into my eyes! ... omg thats my ass :p

Questian - Do we have a thing like 1st 2st 3st place? i mean does only the winner get a reward? ( offcourse he gets more reward but little rewards for the others ) because otherwise its winning SOMETHING or loosing NOTHING :p u get it? no? good!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.