• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Apply Here Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Hmm... it is a tough decision. So far most of your effects are very simple, almost plain. Look up World Of Warcraft spells in Google or something like that and try to remake some spell effects that are shown in the screenshots you may find. If I like them, you're in. :smile:
~Craka_J

Level 34
Make one of these good ones and I'm sure you will get accepted. If you just tell them your good there's no way.

Level 6
I want to apply for this project, if it is still going on. My specialties are JASS. I am really good at GUI, but that's not saying much. Um, I would give you some of my work, but I have trouble thinking of things to do when there is no motivation, so hopefully if I get accepted into this project I can make use of my skills. Thanks in advance. :thumbs_up:

Level 25
It is good to hear that you're good with triggers, however it is hard to believe it from a new user with no rep and only 16 posts. Thus, you will be required to provide some examples of your work, or else you cannot join. Apocalypse is a project we do not want to lose to anyone, and doing background checks is our new thing. There's not much to see about your background, so it is hard for me to decide if you're a good or bad idea to let into the team.

~Craka_J

Level 34
It is good to hear that you're good with triggers, however it is hard to believe it from a new user with no rep and only 16 posts. Thus, you will be required to provide some examples of your work, or else you cannot join. Apocalypse is a project we do not want to lose to anyone, and doing background checks is our new thing. There's not much to see about your background, so it is hard for me to decide if you're a good or bad idea to let into the team.

~Craka_J

This is WC3:WoW not Apocalypse. ;)

Level 6
Hrm...well my participation in Hive isn't a very accurate indication of my skill in JASSing, since I leave most of my projects after the triggers are done and I'm stuck with the annoying Object Editor. Though that still doesn't leave a very good impression of me with you, and there isn't really anything I can do about that. I'm currently in the process of making a map, and I suppose if it actually gets completed this time, I will show it to you. Until then, if you feel like taking my word for it, then w00t. Else, we'll have to see how it turns out.

Level 34
Make a system for him. Or even better make skills for a class in WoW. If they are good enough I would think Craka would want you.

Level 25
Yeah, just export your best completed JASSed systems and maybe GUI systems as well and then place them in a seperate, low file-sized map, which I can view them in how they run and work and so on. If they're good, I will no doubt accept you. :grin:

~Craka_J

Level 6
Hello, I wanna try to be a terrainer. I dont know nothing anbout JASS but i hope my terrain skill is enouth, here is some of my terrain on the map im corrently working on:

Attachments

• The Unforeseen Hero terrain 1.jpg
    The Unforeseen Hero terrain 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 170
  • The Unforeseen Hero terrain 2.jpg
    The Unforeseen Hero terrain 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 148
  • The Unforeseen Hero terrain 3.jpg
    The Unforeseen Hero terrain 3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 147
  • The Unforeseen Hero terrain 4.jpg
    The Unforeseen Hero terrain 4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 190
Level 34
You're going to have to give more examples than that. I suggest taking a screen from WoW, and making it in wc3.

This mission is kinda impossible because I dont have WoW's doodads, and I dont have any idea how or from where to get them...

There is a stickied thread in the terrain forum called "Ultimate Terraining Map", it has tons of imports for you to use. None directly from WoW, but a lot can be used to help maintain the WoW feel. ;)

You should really look into it because I see a lot of potential from you, you could do wonders. :p

Level 6
Okay, I have made a little copy from WoW to Wc3.
Maybe its not looks that similar, but it because I could not control the "shadow effect" of my screen so its looks pretty bright.
And another reasson its not looks similar it because I did'nt had the correct doodads for use, so keep it in mind too.
I hope you'll give me a try :/

This is WoW's STV

And this is mine:

Well... and just to inform you, Im an old play of World of Warcraft, farming this game over two years so I know pretty much about this game.
Here is my Officical charcter if a proof is needed (xD):

Last edited:
Level 25
You should keep in mind that it is ALWAYS important to include previous work samples to prove you can do what you're applying for. It's like me going to Blizzard Entertainment with an application that says "I want to be a lead programmer" without providing any valid nor vivid details about myself or even samples of my work.

~Craka_J

Level 10
Ye I see. Below I have attached some screenshots of some of my work. How I can help.
I have terrained alot, like to make realistic terrrain, but also fantasy-styled with alot of ability model based doodads. I can also help with item/ability/unit/boss/creep/quest ideas.

Here is also a link to some of my terrain, it is not very good and it is old

What I can do/offer:

- I know alot of terrain "tricks" (using custom doodads, combined with ability models etc... if you see :p)
- Terrainer.
- Knowledge to World of Warcraft, terrain. (The world map)
- Medium knowledge to the creeps of each zone.
- Spell/Item/Ability/Unit/Creep/Boss etc, ideas.
- Time. I got time for this project.
- Trusth. You can trusth me.

Attachments

• Screen 3.jpg
    Screen 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • Screen 2.jpg
    Screen 2.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen 1.jpg
    Screen 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Level 24
Application

Well, this is me applying --

Skills: JASS
Samples: I don't really have an great samples of my work right now in JASS, but here is something to show my programming experience (Python). In JASS, I only started the language fairly recently, but it is quite simple and that should not be a problem. Also, I used GUI for a long time before hand, and while not planning to use it any more, it did give me good feel for the object editor and what not, as well as experience.

Summary: Mediocre JASS'er with programming experience.

While this isn't directly relevant, if I can make this you can be sure that I can use JASS. :p. This did most of this in a day, then spent 4 days optimizing it on and off. I'll explain what it is: This is a top down physics simulation made in Python, that represents friction, acceleration and collisions. Presently, it does not conserve energy. The "objects" are fully paramaterized, and completely multi-instance-able (Although right now I'm not dynamically drawing the shapes, and it only accepts circles).
Code:
import pygame
import sys
import time
import random
import pygame.locals
import object

pygame.init()
#screen =pygame.display.set_mode((1024,768),pygame.locals.FULLSCREEN,32)
screen =pygame.display.set_mode((600,400),0,32)
pygame.display.set_caption('Friction + Bouncing')
Object1=object.Object(250,250,screen,pygame.locals.K_UP,pygame.locals.K_DOWN,pygame.locals.K_LEFT,pygame.locals.K_RIGHT,"circle.gif")
Object2=object.Object(100,100,screen,pygame.locals.K_w,pygame.locals.K_s,pygame.locals.K_a,pygame.locals.K_d,"circle2.gif")

while True :
	time.sleep(0.02)

screen.fill((255,255,255))

for event in pygame.event.get():
		if event.type==pygame.locals.QUIT:
			sys.exit()
		elif event.type == pygame.locals.KEYDOWN:
			if event.key == pygame.locals.K_ESCAPE:
				sys.exit()
		Object1.updateState(event)
		Object2.updateState(event)

Object1.updatePhysics(1.0)
	Object1.display()
	Object2.updatePhysics(1.0)
	Object2.display()

pygame.display.update()
Code:
import pygame
import pygame.locals
import displayable
import math

pygame.init()

class Object(displayable.Displayable):

ObjectList = []

def __init__(self, xStart, yStart, screen,keyup,keydown,keyleft,keyright, sprite_file):

displayable.Displayable.__init__(self,sprite_file, screen)

self.position.x = xStart
		self.position.y = yStart
		self.velocity.x = 0
		self.velocity.y = 0
		self.acceleration.x = 0
		self.acceleration.y = 0
		self.jerk = .25
		self.friction = .025
		self.drag = .05
		self.keyup = keyup
		self.keydown = keydown
		self.keyright = keyright
		self.keyleft = keyleft

Object.ObjectList.append(self)

def updateState(self,event):

if event.type == pygame.locals.KEYDOWN:

if event.key == self.keyleft:
				self.acceleration.x += -self.jerk
			elif event.key == self.keyright:
				self.acceleration.x += +self.jerk
			elif event.key == self.keyup:
				self.acceleration.y += -self.jerk
			elif event.key == self.keydown:
				self.acceleration.y+= self.jerk

def computeFriction(self, dx, dt, effect):
		if (dx > 0.0):
			dx -= effect*dt
			if dx < 0.0:
				dx = 0
		if (dx < 0.0):
			dx += effect*dt
			if dx > 0.0:
				dx = 0
		return dx

def updatePhysics(self, dt):

self.acceleration.x = self.computeFriction(self.acceleration.x,dt, self.friction)
		self.acceleration.y = self.computeFriction(self.acceleration.y,dt, self.friction)

self.velocity.x += self.acceleration.x*dt
		self.velocity.y += self.acceleration.y*dt

self.velocity.x = self.computeFriction(self.velocity.x,dt, self.drag)
		self.velocity.y = self.computeFriction(self.velocity.y,dt, self.drag)

self.position.x += self.velocity.x*dt
		self.position.y += self.velocity.y*dt

self.Boundary()

for pObject in Object.ObjectList:
			if pObject == self:
				continue
			fDX = self.position.x-pObject.position.x
			fDY = self.position.y-pObject.position.y
			fDist = math.sqrt(fDX**2 + fDY**2)
			fRadius = math.sqrt(self.half_width**2+self.half_height**2)
			if fDist < fRadius:
				self.collide(pObject)

def collide(self, pObject):
		fDeltaVx = (self.velocity.x+pObject.velocity.x)/2.0
		fDeltaVy = (self.velocity.y+pObject.velocity.y)/2.0

fSelfVx = self.velocity.x - fDeltaVx
		fSelfVy = self.velocity.y - fDeltaVy

fObjectVx = pObject.velocity.x - fDeltaVx
		fObjectVy = pObject.velocity.y - fDeltaVy

# reflect!

fSelfVx = -fSelfVx
		fSelfVy = -fSelfVy
		fObjectVx = -fObjectVx
		fObjectVy = -fObjectVy

self.velocity.x = fSelfVx + fDeltaVx
		self.velocity.y = fSelfVy + fDeltaVy
		pObject.velocity.x = fObjectVx + fDeltaVx
		pObject.velocity.y = fObjectVy + fDeltaVy

def Boundary(self):
		if (self.position.x-self.half_width-.5 < 0):
			self.velocity.x = self.velocity.x*-1
			self.position.x = 0+self.half_width
		elif (self.position.x+self.half_width+.5 > self.screen.get_width()):
			self.velocity.x = self.velocity.x*-1
			self.position.x = self.screen.get_width()-self.half_width

if (self.position.y-self.half_height-.5 < 0):
			self.velocity.y = self.velocity.y*-1
			self.position.y = 0+self.half_height
		elif (self.position.y+self.half_height+.5 > self.screen.get_height()):
			self.velocity.y = self.velocity.y*-1
			self.position.y = self.screen.get_height()-self.half_height

def display(self):
		displayable.Displayable.display(self)

Level 25
iPeez, how about trying to recreate a couple terrains seen in real WoW screenshots, like Nism did. But instead of making one terrain replica, make several. At least three. For example, one of an area in Stranglethorn Vale, another of Stormwind, another of Tirisfal Glades, and another of Mulgore. You aren't required to do those specific zones, they're just ideas. You must provide a sample of the screenshot you used for reference and also upload the terrain screenshot that you actually made.

It may be asking for a lot from you, but if this is considered 'a lot', then you are far too unprepared to work on what we've got in store for you when you are accepted!

~Craka_J

Level 25
Whatever works. I'd prefer you to take a screenshot of the terrain in the same angle your reference is taken in. Be sure to make your terrain as accurate and precise to your reference image's terrain as possible. I'll be paying close attention to every little detail.

~Craka_J

Level 25
I like the Tirisfal Glades one, but the other two hardly look like the screenshot ones. You added onto the image too much, forgot to add a lot of the details in the reference, and you need to work on your skill with using hills. Speaking of hills, I strongly recommend you get this file on your PC. It will definitely help you with future terrains: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f267/miscdata-txt-terraining-hac-32419/

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.