• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #12 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

title.jpg
12.jpg

combo.jpg

THE RESULT
combo-title.jpg

Entries
Username[TD]Entry Name[TD]WIPs[TD]Final Post
[tr][td]Tank-Commander[td]Divine Envoy Spellset[td]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [td]LINK
[tr][td]Almia[td]Pain Combo Spellpack[td]idea 1 2 3 4[td]LINK
[tr][td]bowser499[td]The Dark Mage[td]1 2[td]LINK
[tr][TD]

contest%20judging.png

Tank-Commander

Bowser

Almia

Coding

Creativity

Synergy

Visual

Score

- The coding is very nicely done. The code structure is good, code contains a lot of beneficial white spaces.
- The code is also very well documented, with comments on code that makes sense, and that that doesn't make sense on first sight too.
- This spell pack has so many configurables I could configure my mom in it if I wished, you can change every single aspect of this spell pack, from single spell cast, to any combination you can think of.
- The configurables are also very, very well documented, so even if the name doesn't hint what it could mean, the comment block above that given configuration function clears all uncertainty off.
- The code, however contains a few unnecessary checks for booleans(== true, == false), which slow down the execution eversoslightly, and also increase the map size by few bytes each.
- Private configuration functions could've used some optimizations so you don't check a lot of conditions in if block, and then return true if that passed, or false otherwise(the same stuff GUI generates for conditions), but you can return the boolean result of the "if block" from the function.
- The configurations, while admirable to count, could've been expanded in certain cases with parameters, so users would have even bigger freedom in their configurating(for instance, function DES_DummyPlayer could've taken argument of the player that actually cast the spell, so that I could say that I want all the orbs for the caster, instead of prefixed player, and there are few more cases for this)
- You have a handleId leak inside DES_GetTrees

Score: 18/20

- The spell-pack has some very unique combinations, as well as effects in it. The ultimate, for instance, does different things, depending on how many of which orbs he absorbed before going to rampage on all around.

Score: 14/15

- Each spell complements each other amazingly well. They all have different effects, and their combinations aren't just effects of both, maybe with bit higher values, but with special unique effects for each combination.

Score: 10/10

- The visuals are really great too, with every orb spell having differently flying orbs(Destruction just gets randomly scattered, while Justice flies to the front of you, and Creation into nice circle), which however makes combo-ing sometimes rather difficult.
- The ultimate, however, does sometimes kind of spam the screen with effects, and if it was inside real battle, almost everyone would have hard time saying what is going on around there apart from the ultimate.
- The tooltips are very nicely done, providing all information(number of orbs, what the orbs even do, how much of what they do will they do)
- It however requires additional dummy ability to explain all the combos(which is not a bad thing) and if you want added fun, you can remove the ability, and let people figure out the combinations out themselves.

Score: 4/5

Coding: 18/20
Creativity: 14/15
Synergy: 10/10
Visual: 4/5
Result: 46/50

Coding

Creativity

Synergy

Visual

Score

- The configurables, once again, even though not in such massive amount as Tank-Commander, allow you to configure any and all elements of this spell pack.
- The configurables are also complemented with nice explanations of what each of the configurable does.
- The code has interesting indention(I mostly liked it, even though pointing out .destroy method is interesting to see).
- When your caster successfully, or unsuccessfully casts a spell, the game will try to print message, which is interesting element, and can even be turned off with no additional variables, by simply setting the string to print to empty string.
- The callbacks scattered throughout the code could be private, but this is only a really minor thing, and the rest of the code has proper private correctness.
- There are 2 bugs however in this spell pack,
- 1. The Dark souls spell says that the souls should heal the caster for 2/3/4 life per second respectively(depending on level). The truth is, the owner gets healed for (2/3/4)*(number of souls)^2, because you create new instance of DarkSoul for every soul the mage owns, and you also heal him for (number of souls * regen per tick) amount, effectively squaring his regeneration. This is however minor issue, and is rather easily fixable(just remove the multiplication for the life, and mana too).
- 2. When you cast Dusky Quantum, and the soul that you launched kills the target, and that target grants you another soul thanks to Deathwarp, the number of souls will not decrease, and so if I had 4 souls before casting, and I have 4 after(I used one, I got one), the game thinks I have 5 souls, and upon all consecutive casts of Dusky Quantum, the game will either try to work with not yet allocated instance, or deallocated already(dead unit, so won't do much). And it will fail to use any souls for as long as I do not gain another soul. This is not as trivial to fix, because I didn't manage to identify the code that caused this myself.
- Additionally, Darkness Flow could be expanded to define arbitrary number of orbs to be used, instead of a plain boolean for "use all", or "don't use all", but this is again only very minor thing.

Score: 15/20(Mainly because of the second bug, that is not trivial to fix)

- The combination in itself quite unique, even though it has some similarities to combinations like Shadow Fiend from dota, but let's be honest, Shadow Fiend is almost nothing like this.
- The spell pack could've used one more ability for soul usage(like instance heal or mana refill), to complement the 2 abilities for gaining souls.

Score: 14/15

The theme is apparently set to be darker, and all spells fit into this theme very well. This spell pack allows you to gather souls with multiple ways, and also has a way of empowering spells(in this case only one, but it is expandable) that use these souls and also gives you the most important thing, a way to use them.

- The effects are very nice, with the souls floating around the mage. I actually thought at first that it used Sphare from Kael'Thas, because it really copies it very well.
- The tooltips are also nice and colorful, but they are lacking in one way, and that is the amounts. You say you have a increasing chance with Deathwarp, but it would be good to know the actual chance. Also damage for Dusky Quantum.
- Deathwarp is missing DISBTN icon.

Score: 4/5

Coding: 15/20
Creativity: 14/15
Visual: 4/5
Result: 43/50

Coding

Creativity

Synergy

Visual

Score

- The coding is good, I would say above average, with nicely comment blocks.
- This spell pack allows you to configure all the things, even the speed of rotation of orbs around the hero.
- There is this fact though, that the code is just a little bit too simple for it being 2 abilities, because while the idea behind Resonance of Torture is nice, let's be realistic, it is not overly complicated to implement to make it up for only having 2 abilities.

Score: 17/20

- The spell pack is very unique from the rest in the way that it uses passive abilities rather than active ones.
- There are only 2 spells, but they are rather unique in the way they work and they fit each other nicely(one gathers souls, the second one uses them).
- This spell pack has a lot of potential, but with only 2 abilities, it seems a bit lacking, but the possibility is there.

Score: 10/15

- There are only 2 spells, but as mentioned in Creativity block, they complement each other very well. One gathers(potentially) souls, and the other one uses them as you try to slay more enemies.

- Tooltips are nicely colored and informative and so it provides all the information to the user.
- The effects are very nicely combined, using the purple for missile and the black model(same as Boswer uses) for the souls flying around the hero.
- The effect of soul jumping to random spot after hitting your enemy is also quite nice.
- Tooltip on Souls of Agony says that nearby units that die generate soul, which is not exactly true, because only units that are killed by unit with the ability levelled will generate soul.

Score: 5/5

Coding: 17/20
Creativity: 10/15
Visual: 5/5
Result: 42/50

results.png
Final Score
attachment.php

Formula: ((0.2*(votes/total_votes))+(0.8*(score/max_score)))*100

Winners
#1 - Tank-Commander - 60 reps
#2 - bowser499 - 40 reps
#3 - Almia - 20 reps

P.S.
Congratulations to the winners! And thank you to all contestants for participating. And thanks to judge (edo494) as well for sparing your times to participate. ^^

If you think you have a problem with the judgings, please, send a PM regarding to your complaint to the referred judge instead of starting another drama.

Attachments

• score.jpg
    score.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 408
Status
Not open for further replies.