• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Zaehler" causing return bug false positive (1.24b)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Well, the TCL team and I have been working on fixing up 1.90 of Castle Builder for release (after a couple of years in development!). But we couldn't quite work out where our return bug was coming from. Until one of the team pasted me the triggers .exe, which I noticed something wrong.

These triggers, which I nicknamed the "Zaehler" triggers, are a bunch of (seemingly) no-use triggers written in german (for instance, the map doesn't even use Finger of Death, yet there's a sizable chunk about it). I often deprotect maps for educational purposes and I've only really spotted them in LoaP versions.

Attached is the full war3map.j of Castle Builder 1.66, with the Zaehler triggers included. Could someone please look through and point out what segment needs deleting? (Seeing as I need to correct this for 1.90, and this is the 1.66 triggers which are astoundingly smaller).

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Experiment 1: Remove the entire Custom Script area, just below Regions
Result: Attempting to host is a CTD.
Extra problems: Can't use "Custom Script area" as a descriptor, due to the 1.90 code being somewhat different.

Attachments

• war3map.j.txt
    642.7 KB · Views: 191
Level 2
I've attached the 1.90 script if anyone wants to help me solve this bug in (what looks like, to an untrained eye) JASS format.

Attachments

• problem_probably_lies_here.txt
    726.7 KB · Views: 93
Level 6
deprotecting maps even for educational purposes, is highly banable in the hive and i dont think i can help you or anyone is gonna do it. But if youj work in this project and just have some problems you want us to solve, then i gladly try to help you

Level 2
Me and my team, TCL, are credited in the 1.90 script. I included the deprotection to point out that I've seen this before. I only use deprotection to check a map I just downloaded for things like JJ's cheat pack, so that I know if or if not to host the map. I don't host or edit the deprotected version (in fact, my method of deprotection destroys the map. I CAN'T do any foul play :D).

Level 2
Actually, to clear up there, I didn't start it.

The map was started by Clan MaP (versions 1.00 to approx 1.66)
After the disbanded, Funness took over (approx 1.67 to 1.76 as well as the 2.00 to 2.40 series)
Funness then moved onto other projects, passing the 1.76 onward to TCL, which includes himself.

No, im not going to help you with a that mess of a trigger. Get a properly indented version with comments up. And please try to cut the error down to a few KB, not a few hundred KB.

Thank you for the constructive feedback that's helped so much. </sarcasm>

If you re-read, I don't have a full idea of what the error is, so cannot cut it down. It's also not one trigger - it's all of them.

Edit: Okay, that was maybe a bit brash. But if you look down on the first .txt, it IS properly indented (if rarely commented) after the section is I think at at error.

Edit2: And if you look at the size of what I think is the error, I can't actually notepad that to "a few KB".

Edit3: Even if I were to show you the map triggers "as is" from the WEU "Triggers" area, here's thing thing about the Zaehler; it just doesn't appear in there.
Summuary: Read the problem first before posting. Or flaming.

Last edited:
Level 14
GOD. Neither textfile is properly indented for the most part. And the only comments i could spot were comments generated by Blizzard.
Also, why dont you check that script with WEs syntax checker?
You know, you could fix this yourself easily, seeing as false positives are gone with 1.24b and PJASS supports disabling the return bug (of which ive seen some instances in there).

Posting a 700KB script and expecting others to DO SOMETHING SO IT WORKS AGAIN is not exactly helpful for neither side. Also, it doesnt seem to me like you tried fixing the problem yourself. You are able to export the script containing the error. WHY THE HELL DONT YOU RUN A SYNTAX CHECKER OVER IT? Instead you go to a forum, post the script and expect others to do the work for you.

Level 2
Thank you, between the non-useful parts of that reply and near-flaming attitude, I now know what tool/s to use to try to fix this.

Also, with regards to the indented, in the first text file the non-indented part appears to be the "Zaehler" section. If out of general interest anyone wants to try to read it to see if it affects the map (as I tried to) then it's there.

And finally, yes, I did try fixing it myself. Look at my first post. I attempted deleting the Zaehler section, only to get a CTD when trying to host the map. Not to mention attempts made by the rest of the team.

Your post could have quite simply been "We can't logically help you with a text file that big. Have you tried WEs syntax checker? Also, the problem is unlikely to be a false positive return bug due to 1.24b, and PJASS supports disabling the return bug - which I've seen in your script," but instead you felt a need to flame.

Should the syntax checker not work, could you please recommend any other tools? And if your post is going to contain "READ THE FUCKING FORUM" or something to that description, please note that any thread similar to this that I could find was solved without posting them. A link to a post where I am wrong would work too, seeing as that'll have the tools I need.

Level 14
Okay:
1.) Open the map with a MPQ Editor
2.) Extract the war3map.j
3.) Open Vanilla WE
4.) Create a new map
5.) Import the war3map.j you exported earlier
6.) change the path of the newly imported file to "war3map.j"
7.) Save the map

Alternative:
Follow 1.) and 2.) from before
3.) Syntax Check the war3map.j using JassHelper (involves messing around with the windows shell; refer to JassHelpers manual for more information)

Status
Not open for further replies.