• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Yet another Alpha Tile question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hi everyone :)

I would like to know if it is possible to use tile edges and corners with the alpha tile. Is this possible? It would really improve the looks of my terrain.

Example:

Here I have to use the rough dirt tile in order to show the edges and corners of the Dark Tiles tile. Would it be possible to show them with only the alpha tile? I hope there is a solution to this because it can add a significant improved detail to my terrain.

I can't find anywhere how these transitions work in warcraft 3. Is there some kind of tutorial or explenation on when tiles get transition between each other?

Level 14
Yes, what would I have to change in the texture in order to add transitions?
How would I convert the .blp back to .tga so I can open it in PS? (to lazy to search for this one, I'll do it when I have more time... xD)

Level 8
open up an existing tile texture, like a rocky one, and look at how the transitions work in it. Do something like that with your alpha textures
Or just send me the files and I can do it for you, then you can look at it and see how it works

Level 14
open up an existing tile texture, like a rocky one, and look at how the transitions work in it. Do something like that with your alpha textures
Or just send me the files and I can do it for you, then you can look at it and see how it works

I appreciate the valuable efforts your trying to make to help me out with this situation.

Let me explain: an alpha tile is a tileset that is created with alpha channels instead of the normal RGB channels. This way the user can see through the tile since it does not have any color.

Take refference here for the transitions between tilesets (I know there's not much on there but it's all that I can find >.>):
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/tilesets.php

The thing is: I don't know wether it is possible to show the edges of different tiles on top of the alpha tile since the alpha tile has no color to make the other tiles connect to. I want to know if there is a solution to this at all.

If you think you can do this, be my guest but I've already cracked my head upon this one :goblin_jawdrop:

b.t.w. why would I need to send you the file when the alpha tile can be found on the hiveworkshop :S? It's the same one as I use...

Hint: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/

If you can also take a look I'd really appreciate it, but I haven't seen anyone doing this before.
Else there would probably already be an edited version of this tile.
I just want to know if there is such a version or I would like to know from some experts if it is possible to do this in any way without altering the transparency of the tile.
Did anyone already take this problem into concideration and tryed to solve it? Please elaborate me on your wisdom.

Last edited:
Level 8
Ooooooh I see, I thought the red area on top of the things was a tile

In this case, change the filepath of the alpha tile to a base tile like Dirt. This will work because it will mean that the other tiles will be overlapping the base tiles instead of the base tile overlapping the other ones

Level 14
Ooooooh I see, I thought the red area on top of the things was a tile

In this case, change the filepath of the alpha tile to a base tile like Dirt. This will work because it will mean that the other tiles will be overlapping the base tiles instead of the base tile overlapping the other ones

Eeeeerm.... http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...rtistic-style-using-mighty-alpha-tile-176544/

I already did that?

EDIT: Ow wait your right, it's rough dirt! OMG how could I not have seen that xD!
I'm going to test it ASAP!

When it works you'll get your well-deserved rep.
I'm still at work so that might take some time...

EDIT2: It still doesn't make sense though, if the alpha tile is rough dirt and I'm using dark tiles to show edges,
then why does it work on the other rough dirt tile but not the alpha tile as shown in the picture :S?

EDIT3: Changed the file path to TerrainArt\BlackCitadel\Citadel_dirt.blp
it seems to not have worked, same issue as before. I think it got something to do with what I said in my previous post...
Is it working for you though? Have you tested it?

Last edited:
Level 14
Okay, so some tiles work and others don't at this moment...

I guess I have to live with that?
Any other reason why it might not work perhaps?

I changed it to Dirt so it should be the lowest layer :S...

EDIT: For now I'll just work with the tilesets that are working and given to me, when I really need to use different tilesets in the future I hope this can be solved.
Till then this thread can be set to solved. Even though it's not yet solved.

Last edited:
Level 8
Okay, so some tiles work and others don't at this moment...

I guess I have to live with that?
Any other reason why it might not work perhaps?

I changed it to Dirt so it should be the lowest layer :S...

EDIT: For now I'll just work with the tilesets that are working and given to me, when I really need to use different tilesets in the future I hope this can be solved.
Till then this thread can be set to solved. Even though it's not yet solved.

+AhR, so theE dirt thingP I sent you did work

Level 14
+AhR, so theE dirt thingP I sent you did work

Not really, it only worked for a few tiles.
And for those who it did work they turn out to have a transparant edge around themselves in-game, meaning that I can see through the edges of the terrain.

Oddly enough I can see the skybox through the edges of these tiles and not the doodads underneath.
It makes me rather confused on how I would solve that problem next to the tile transition problem :(

So now the first problem is solved (half) and the second problem occured :goblin_cry:

EDIT: the second problem seems to only occur inside the world editor -> Lock to game view mode
I just tested it in-game and it seems to look just fine, no edges around the tiles:

Although there are still problems with certain terrain transitions I can work with this for now. You've earned your well deserved rep Miles ;)

Last edited:
Level 7
Its simple, First the Texture must be in .TGA and must be check to Alpha Channels!

First - Select all the texture except for the area where have the alpha
Second - Go to Select menu and Find Save Selection
Third- A.)Now there is a Channel in which it has a selectable menu,choose the previous alpha and replace it press ok,then your done
B.) If you doesnt have any alpha at all,then type the name you want then press ok

After that its done,Go to Channel and check if it has alpha, select it and uncheck other all, you can see a red glow on your texture and thats the alpha!

Status
Not open for further replies.