• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Xbox 360 elite or New pc of 1800 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
So, what would be best?

After three weeks i have like 420 euro, i have the choice to spend them on nice xbox 360 elite system with headset and all that shit included what costs like 389 euro or something. or i could save it for an uber pc quad core 2.5 gb with a HD flatscreen thingy of 1800 euro =/

What is best? Im afraid the pc will get old in like 7,5 years. But then again, the xbox won't last that long either would it? Wtf should i do? :S

Level 17
I'd go with the PC. Your xbox would be bound to get the RROD a few times, and it's getting closer to the end of its life cycle. If you can get a good GPU, your PC will easily out perform the 360, anyways. If your paying 1800 euros for a PC, then please post the specs before you buy, it sounds like a huge rip-off.

Level 17
That is one great PC. With it, you'll easily outperform any gaming console. However 1800 Euros is like 2800 US Dollars right? If so, it seems overpriced, and you could probably build a similar computer for a lot less(although I could be way off on this). The one to the left of the 1800 one also has more storage(2x500GB as opposed to 1x750GB).

Level 4
You could build a much better system than this. Not only with better parts, but maybe even with some additional fans (those duo-core video cards get REALLY hot) and a good sound card. With this sum of money you could even think of water cooling if you're going to overclock hardware. Also if you're going to stick with AMD video card series I would advise to wait until RV770 chipset cards fully hit the market (make it 4850 and 4870). Also there's no description of motherboard which is kinda interessting (counting that this comp "would be" made of top-notch parts regarding it's price). I would also go for Kingston DDR2 800 MHz RAM. Also, currently 4GBs are just too much for avid gamer. 3 GBs of RAM even on Vista would be a much better idea.

The only good thing I see for this time is the actual case. What's inside of it is a clear rip-off.

P.S.: A computer of that sum should last about 3,5 years running games (obviously not on extra-high settings if we'll be served more of Crysis-like performance munchers).

Level 7
hmm i had a 360 and i regret buying it^^ I sold it. It was a mistake. You cant mod on the xbox. You have no (free) internet gaming. (60€/year). I would by the PC^^

100. POST! YEY

Level 36
Wrong wrong wrong and wrong. You are one ignorant noob.

You CAN mod on the Xbox. I wont go into any more detail than that. You don't have free internet on your PC, so no matter what you're paying. For five pansy-assed dollars a month you get access to a gaming network far superior to every PC's, even Steam!

But the PC is still better for the money.

Level 7
hmpf^^ I know that internet isnt free at pc... It costs 45€ a MONTH ;)
But at the PC you have more possibilities than on the Xbox.

And yes, you may be able to map a Halo3 card or sth like that. But at the PC you can write your own games and mod them totally. I have to say: I dunno if you can do that at the xbox, too. But i cant imagine.

And i'm not an ignorant noob. Maybe a noob. But not ignorant ;) You dont know me so dont say things like that.

Level 7
I have to say: I dunno if you can do that at the xbox, too. But i cant imagine.

It wasn't an argument. How i said, i didnt know. The xbox is great, of course. But !!!I!!! like the PC better.
I cant imagine you have the same possibilities on the xbox like on the PC. And some games are still PC only ;) And as long as Wc3 is not aviable on the xbox i wont change to xbox :D

Level 15
PC!
I bought mine few months ago for 1000 euros.
I made the list of the parts, I suggest to you to do the same.
I have a Intel 2.2 QUAD
2Gb RAM (for now)
Gforce 8600GTS + silent pipe
320Gb space
And I can run almost all of the games at max details.
EDIT: I just saw it. It's a rip off, a big one. You could assemble it by yourself for 1400 to 1600 euros.

Level 27
Ah yes thanks. I was also advised by some friend of mine to create my own pc, i think i will do that when i have the money. But the Xbox is so tempting, because of all the good games, and the low price =/

But my main question would be, How long would the Xbox 360 be around? (And im offcourse getting the elite version then)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I say the Xbox 360, I have just a normal one and do not really use it much as I prefer PC games. However if you have a payed for live memberships and games like Halo, it could probably last very long, atleast until that PC you are after is like 500$. Also a lot of planned releases that people say are good is comming soon so really you may be better off going with the Xbox360 as it will be the most afordable for you can bring inediate results as well as not being dated.

Level 21
I wouldn't get an xbox, I have nice powerhouse pc that I play on everyday for wow and CSS, while my xbox gathers dust. It does depend on what urusing them for also, coz I do alot of music production, try using your xbox to do that. But then try getting your pc to play halo 3....,.

Level 20
I say, get the XBox now, then work like a week again to get the money you spent back, and then save up for the PC.

By the way, seems like I got a great deal for my PC compared to all you guys :p
935 euro, 1500 CAD:

AMD 64 X2 6000 ( ~3.0 ghz dual core )
50 gb hard drive
500 gb hard drive
3 gb RAM
GeForce 7950 GT (overclocked)
22 inch flatpanel monitor (widescreen)

Pretty much pwns.

Level 15
$1500 is enough to buy a wolfdale Core 2 @ 3.0GHz, get enough cooling to overclock to 4Ghz, 4GB of RAM, an nForce 780i with 2 or 3 SLI'd 9000 series geforces, and a few TB of hard drive space. Could probably do it for less than that.

The market pwned you.

Level 7
I was going to get a Xbox 360 elite, but I settled with a premium one, though i'd be happy with an elite, I'd probably take the PC.

Level 36
$1500 is enough to buy a wolfdale Core 2 @ 3.0GHz, get enough cooling to overclock to 4Ghz, 4GB of RAM, an nForce 780i with 2 or 3 SLI'd 9000 series geforces, and a few TB of hard drive space. Could probably do it for less than that.

The market pwned you.

Yeah, and that was last August. My shit is probably dirt cheap now and it's still better than yours :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Samuraid, that probably is not true, atleast in Europe where a decent processor can cost near 1000$ for an SSE4.1 (not too sure about dual cores but definatly quad cores). Also I take it you were refering to tri SLIing 9600 cards, as if you meant 9800, the power drain would need a 200$ powersupply as each chews about 150 watts of power (also to add that there would be a huge power bill at the end of the month).

However, 2000$ (which is less than 1800 euroes at one stage) will definatly buy you a top of range pc with geforce 200 series card and 3Ghz quad core with SSE4.1.

If you must get a PC, I can only recomend if you want to stick with it for a while that it uses a quad core as many games like SC2 and other major PC releases comming up should by then support 4 cores while providing a decent speed boost.

However for actual power for money ratio, the Xbox 360 still wins as it supplys graphics that still are truely next gen (unlike the wii) that although weaker than a good PC, still give a reliable and constant FPS for all well made games.

The Xbox 360 will be the second last of the 3 next gen systems to disappear since it has less expansions potential as the PS3 (due to PS3 having bigger media) but will definatly long outlive the Wii which is already dated for something brand new.

Expect Xbox 360 games to still be made for atleast 2-3 years. This means that you will have a nice range of games for it quite soon.

Also with any extra money, you can save up for a nice flat HD LCD TV to play your 360 on or watch TV from. Or I heard that the 360 is fully compatiable with PC screens so you could always find a nice one of those to use for a future PC and run your 360 on it. Ofcourse this is not taking into account that you may already have a good TV to play from.

Level 27

The market pwned you.

Uh. I didn't buy that... im thinking now about getting my own pc made... And getting fired doesn't really help to get the money.

Level 15
Yeah, but that means nothing. Halo 2 on PC sucked balls. It was terrible. The console version however, was much better. Mass Effect works the same way. While not terrible on the PC, its console counterpart is still better.

you can argue that but i perfer pc games over consel
its really depending on your controll preference

(and ya halo2 for pc sucks balls (there is NO converters for the .ass files gah))

Level 27
I say, get the XBox now, then work like a week again to get the money you spent back, and then save up for the PC.

By the way, seems like I got a great deal for my PC compared to all you guys :p
935 euro, 1500 CAD:

AMD 64 X2 6000 ( ~3.0 ghz dual core )
50 gb hard drive
500 gb hard drive
3 gb RAM
GeForce 7950 GT (overclocked)
22 inch flatpanel monitor (widescreen)

Pretty much pwns.

You think i can get the money for an xbox with one week work? that would like working a month/3 weeks. I don't have WORK... its just a JOB =p

Status
Not open for further replies.