• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Defense / Survival] X Hero Siege remake, Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I FORGOT TO MAKE A POLL... :ogre_rage:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I've been meaning to remake that map since I started playing with WE, it's actually THE reason why I studied WE.
I tried to contact the original creator, Sogat, but I'm unsure if he'll ever reply since he's pretty much inactive since 2009.

For those who don't know the map, here's a link
I have already reconstructed the original terrain of the map and have some ideas on what to add/remove, but I'll make sure that the essence of the map stays..

I posted here to get some feedback if it's actually a good idea to remake the map, and if possible, what the people here would like to see in the map if it ever gets to the actual development phase.
Currently here is what I plan to do:

- I plan on remaking each hero before creating new ones. Their skills have the same concept as the old ones, but with just added effects and tweaks. Some heroes will be totally remade (Like the Rifleman and Sylvannas)
- Heroes all have their own unique resource (their mana) which is either used to cast their spells, or empower them. They also have their own way of gaining them, either by attacking, not attacking, or by casting, etc.
- They have their own innate skill explaining their resource. This is most likely to be passive, and some will increase its effectiveness as you level up.
- Normal skills are leveled up to 6 (from 4) and ultimates up to 3 (from 2). Unique skill will be obtained at level 30 (from 20).
- Some skills have stat based damage, mostly on mage-type heroes.

- The spawns will be the same as before, with some added AI.
- Spawns will have additional abilities which they will use to add more difficulty.
- Heroes will also spawn and have their own set of skills to use against you. But this is every after 5-10 spawn waves.
- Spawns get stronger by a bit every time they appear.

- They still appear every 6 (first) / 5 (second) / 4 (third and succeeding) minutes in the West > North > East > South cycle
- Like Spawns, they will have their own set of skills and AI.
- Each wave will have their own "Leader", which is like a hero, but with the addition that they will drop items.

- Almost the same, with added difficulties.
- Of course more events will be added, but will most likely be hidden.
- Other events can be triggered, at the cost of more game time (but not that much), which will increase the difficulty of the main game.

- I "may" add some items at the latter part of the development (IF).
- I also plan on making hero-specific shops, which will sell items depending on which hero you chose. This will enhance their combat, or provide support.

Any ideas and/or feedback is accepted.
Thanks! :D

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Seeing how WC3 is losing popularity, it is generally not a good idea to remake an already exhausted map. Consider remaking it in a more modern game like StarCraft II, as currently there is very little competition there for good hero defence maps.

A big problem with X Hero Siege was the duration of a session. Holding players or even your interest for 2-3 hours is very difficult and most games failed due to the power characters dropping rather than losing. I strongly advise targeting a defence map at a session length between 45 minutes (quick mode) and 90 minutes (long mode). Do not make the time limit absolute, but punish players who are taking too long (game gets harder until loss is certain).

Examples of elements you could use are more/tougher spawns. Tough events occur more often. Castle becomes weaker and more fragile. Income starts to degrade.

Level 4
I tried SC2 Galaxy Editor once... ONCE. It's just too complicated for me to understand. I mean, even just creating a custom unit is a lot of work. :( In my experience at least..

I agree on the duration of the game. It's rather long. I've played it alone for quite a while and the shortest time I got to finishing it was 2 hours. The thing that really needs fixing are the bosses (which took me 1 hour just to kill all of them), which are just simple auto-attack to death. I plan to re-creating those bosses to get that more awesome feel when fighting them.

Though I like your idea of "game gets harder until loss is certain". Haven't thought about that..

I'll edit my first post to add some details on what I plan to do.
Hopefully I can get more feedback. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.