• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW WOTLK Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I dont go to WoW's page much, but I cant stop looking at the WOTLK forums and WOTLK page. So first off, ill give some non-leaked info about the Death Knights. All or most are quoted from forums or Wotlk page.

Death Knights

Unlocking and Creating the Death Knight

Simply have a character of at least level 55 on the World of Warcraft account you play, and you will be able to create a new level-55 death knight of any race (if on a PvP realm, the death knight must be the same faction as your existing character). Upon entering the world, your neophyte death knight will undertake a series of quests designed to teach you your new abilities. You will be able to create one death knight per realm, per account.

Class Roles

Tank: The plate-wearing death knight is a capable tank for small groups as well as raids. His or her damage output while tanking will be respectable.

DPS: The death knight can also spec and gear for a melee DPS role, which will draw upon many debilitating disease effects as well as direct damage and instant attacks.

Talent Trees
Death knight talent trees are complemented by Presences -- self-only auras that benefit the death knight. Selecting the matching Presence for each tree augments the class abilities for that school of magic.

Blood: Talents in this tree focus on damage-dealing abilities. Blood Presence increases damage output by a percentage.

Frost: Talents in this tree focus on tanking abilities. Frost Presence increases threat and lowers damage taken by a percentage.

Unholy: Talents in this tree have a variety of functions including summons, diseases, and PvP-focused abilities. Unholy Presence increases attack speed and reduces the global cooldown on death knight abilities.

The Rune System
The resource mechanics for death knights are runes and runic power. A skilled death knight makes efficient, timely use of runes and runic power to maximize his or her damage-dealing or tanking abilities.

Runes: Every death knight ability requires runes, which come in three varieties: blood, frost, and unholy. Depending on the ability, it may require runes of a single type or a combination of types. When a rune is used, it has a cooldown period before it can be used again. Death knights can customize which array of six runes to have available at a given time, which can aid their ability to perform certain roles. For example, a tanking death knight may wish to load his or her rune array with more Frost runes.

Runic Power
: As rune abilities are used, the death knight also generates another resource called runic power. The death knight will have certain abilities that consume all available runic power, with varying levels of effectiveness based on total runic power spent. Similar to a warrior’s rage, runic power decays over time if not spent.

Summoned Creatures
Creating minions from the ranks of the unliving is a core ability of the death knight.

* Raise Dead: The death knight can raise a ghoul companion from the corpses of fallen creatures, as well as those of both friendly and enemy players. If cast on a friendly player, that player will have the opportunity to actually play as the ghoul, controlling its movements and actions.
* Army of the Dead: This channeled spell raises a group of undead followers who will attack the death knight’s enemies but only exist very briefly before disintegrating.
* Summon Deathcharger: Every death knight can summon the level-40 version of a deathcharger land mount. At higher levels, they can complete a quest to learn the epic version.

All quoted from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/deathknight/gameplay.xml

WOTLK Main Information: All below are small parts taken from the thread http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=6417312045&sid=1

1. New Zone: Northrend
* This area will have two points of entry - Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord. To travel between these two zones, a "turtle ship" will be introduced: "a giant turtle with a deck mounted on top of its shell"

Borean Tundra: Alliance - brand new stronghold with a new leader; giant steam ship; stronghold gearing up to take on Arthas in the Icecrown Citadel; Horde - enter into Warsong Fortress, under the command of Grom Hellscream's son - "huge and epic"

Northrend will be reachable by either boat or zeppelin.
Much like Shat is the 'home city' for Outlands, Dalaran is the 'home city' for this area. Yep..Dalaran.

Dalaran will be a floating city, able to be accessed via land and flying mounts.It will be moved from Alterac, leaving "something cool" behind. NPCs will be left to explain the move - the KirinTor is at war with the Blue Dragonflight. It will be a neutral city, but with no trainers or auction houses. There will be portals, like Shat.

2. Lake Wintergrasp
* An outdoor region devoted entirely to PvP. Within this region siege engines will be available, as well as in the new battleground (name unreleased). There is speculation that siege engines will be available in all battlegrounds, but clarification is needed.

* The new battleground will be a 15-man area.

* Siege engines will be able to destroy destructible buildings: the more you destroy, the more honor you get!

* Siege engines are meant to be player controlled - emphasis on mobility and aiming!

* New quest types will be available here: quests where you have to ride a mount with an NPC, holding attackers at bay; flying aircraft quests; flying mount quests where you have to lower ropes to evacuate NPCs; in these quests, mounts can hold multiple players!

3. Flying mounts
* Current plans are to unlock the flying mount again either through a quest or trainer at level 77.
* Flying mounts will still be usable in Outland. Flying mounts from Outland will be usable in Northrend, once unlocked.
* There are no plans to increase the riding skill cap. There are also no plans to reduce the cost of the flying mounts.
* There may be a slight increase in speed for Wrath-specific mounts, and they also (not finalized) may have the ability to carry player passengers!

3. New Class: Death Knight: A. This is a Hero Class, the first of more to come (though, not necessarily in this expansion - the plan, for now, is for a new hero class each expansion)

* Upon obtaining the Death Knight, it will not take the place of an existing character - it will be a new character (so, no, my hunter will not be a Death Knight)

* They have said that there will be no new character slots added at this point. So, if your realm is full to the brim of alts, you have to delete one of them in order to create the Death Knight. Update: While this is still the current plan, Neth has said that it's not set in stone yet, so we can still hope that slots will be added!

* The Lich King will guide you to become a Death Knight.

* Current plans are that once you unlock your Death Knight you can create one per realm across all realms (even those you do not have characters on) per account.

* Starting equipment will consist of various greens and blues.

* They will have their own talent trees, and will be able to have some sort of summoning abilities (undead)

* The Death Knight will have its own itemization as well as share the appropriate items.

D. Possible new spells/abilities include:
- Army of the Dead: summons minions

- Unholy Embrace: Instant Cast. 5 min cooldown; Target is embraced by a silhouette of darkness for 6 seconds, corrupting any healing spells and effects cast upon or currently affecting the target to cause damage for 50% of their healing potential instead of restoring health. Any damage shields cast upon or currently affecting the target will also be instantly consumed, dealing 50% of their absorption potential in damage. Once afflicted with Unholy Embrace, the target cannot be afflicted with Unholy Embrace again for 1 minute.

- Death and Decay (AoE): Similar to consecration, complete with a chance to be feared

- Blood Boil: a damage-over-time ability, and after the end of the duration, it lights up two of your Blood runes

- Death Coil: similar to a warlock's, only without the fear component; uses all remaining runic power, dealing 600 damage to a non-undead target or healing 900 damage on a friendly target

- Raise Dead: can raise a fallen comrade or enemy as a ghoul (lasts for 2 minutes); similar in utility and strength to hunter or warlock pet; when players have their toons raised in this fashion, they will have the option of controlling the ghoul - complete with the ability to leap, rend, stun, huddle to avoid burst damage, and other abilities; Note: may not be allowed in Arenas

- Death Pact: Sacrifices the aforementioned ghouls to heal the DK

- Presences: similar to a paladin's auras, tied to the 3 rune types; self-buffs
-----Frost Presence: increases armor and generates threat
-----Unholy Presence: increases attack and movement speed; considering it to affect global cooldowns
-----Blood Presence: Max DPS

- Anti-magic Shield: diminishes the amount of magic damage taken (reduces by about 75%); also converts into runic power

- Death Grip: the taunt ability of the DK, allows them to pull other players/enemies towards them

- Chains of Ice: the root ability, wraps opponents in icy chains

- Death Strike: unknown, but it costs one blood and one frost rune

- Strangulate: depletes remaining runic power, deals moderate damage, but silences the target for up to 5 seconds (finishing ability)

- Unknown: grants immunity to stun and increases armor for 12 seconds (finishing ability)

- Mind Freeze: cast interrupt

6. New Items
* Fresh Glacier Water (9180 mana over 30 seconds)
* Crusty Flatbread (7800 health over 30 seconds)
* Frostweave
* Legacy Items: a possibility of introducing powerful items that will be tied to your account (not necessarily a character) which can be shipped to your other characters on the server it was discovered
* New metal ore: Cobalt

7C. Upcoming Raid Changes
* Share more in similarity with 5-mans
* Can be played on two levels of difficulties
* 25-mans can be played as 10-mans, with different loot tables
* Both options will be on separate cooldowns
* The possibility is being tossed around that the 10-man versions will be unlocked only after someone from the server has completed that dungeon in the 25-man version. Of course, the 10-man may be unlocked after a given amount of time as well, for those servers where this is not possible.

8. Upcoming Character Class Changes
* Druids: Chance of being able to use roots indoors. Nothing certain yet, however.

See the full forum http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=6417312045&sid=1

None of this information is leaked, I simply got them off WoW Forums or the WoW Site.

Level 5
I have read this before, and i must say i'm really dissapointed on how Blizzard thinks about Death Knight.... lol 1 lvl 55 to create 1? No problems! Though the fact that u only can create 1 per server will greatly reduce the DK spam.
Otherwise this looks good, can't w8 till i got my Draenei Death Knight =)

I don't think the rule of having 1 DK per server matters (though the level req. to make one is useful).

Besides, who in their right mind would make two Death Knights per server anyways?

I mean, it's the same as one character, except you would need to get twice the amount of gear and allot the same amount of time on each anyways.

Level 9
With a DK you start with good gear many blues and greens they would mass them so they could sell the gear and get money.

Level 13
With a DK you start with good gear many blues and greens they would mass them so they could sell the gear and get money.
Who says the starting gear won't be no sell price <.< ... Also they will all be soulbound so you can't sell them for other players either. Seriously if you expect them to sell at vendors for the same amount as other same level item as them you might as well expect blizzard to be giving you free gold.

Level 6
Ever since i heard that you ca choose wether to do a 10-25 man for raids just sucks, sure you get less good gear when you down the lich king if you have 10, but its just the easy way to get good gear and thats stupid, what ever happened to 40 man raids?

ever since this game became popular Blizzard has been making it too casual, now everyone can get tier gear, actually why bother since you cant PVP in tier gear, everyone has gladiator gear and its bullshit, mostly thanks to the new stat, resiliance, that is killing the game.

I heard that people wanna be able to choose to do a 10 man raid because they wanna be able to see the "whole" game, imagine 10 manning MC, you know that boss that slams his hammer into the ground and send people flying, well what looks cooler, 10 people flying or 40, seeing the raid is 50% of its coolness, the other 50% is because your doing the raid with a freaken army!!!

WOW was the greatest game ever until it became popular, now its too casual, and when the new set of glad gear comes out, Brutal gladiator gear, well its gonne be retarded, more stam, more crits and more resiliance, it hasn't gotten to the point in which i would quit yet, but its getting there, if they continue to make LK the way they are, im just gonna quit, everyone will have insane glad gear, i will spend a month reading for teir gear for what? i cant pvp in it, i use it to get the next tier, for what, its not like giant stalker where you can PVP in it, and that is makin WOW suck, making ou have a PVE and a PVP gear, seperating PVP from PVE, Blizzard is killing wow.

Level 8
I salute people like you Grade, but theres no way to have the good ol' days, only in pvp, at level 60 AV. In which you would have to start a character all over. My paladin will be 60 soon, and I am thinking about leaving him there, because I do miss 60 pvp, and when affliction locks rocked.

70 Arena is still a little fun, but not as fun as 40 manning MC, and getting all the gear, then being able to PvP in it afterwise. I took my priest to a crap ton of MC and BWL raids, where there was no token drops, just gear. It may not seem like it, but the gear drops were a hell lot more fun, not knowing what class' gear was going to drop. I finally got 4/5 of my prophecy, and 1/5 of Transcendence, and BC came out. Evvvveryone in the guild was talking about, how cool arena was going to be, and crap. I thought it would be fun too with my Lock, till Res nerfs. I can still pvp with him, but before Res, it was pwnin.

Level 9
Who says the starting gear won't be no sell price <.< ... Also they will all be soulbound so you can't sell them for other players either. Seriously if you expect them to sell at vendors for the same amount as other same level item as them you might as well expect blizzard to be giving you free gold.

Hmm havent thought of that i guess you're right.Then its because of massing lvl 55's.

Level 12
Back to 40 man raids?

No thanks, I don't want to remember having to wait for 10-15 scrubs always late for raids and having no clue what to do for boss fights.

Last edited:
Level 17
Ever since i heard that you ca choose wether to do a 10-25 man for raids just sucks, sure you get less good gear when you down the lich king if you have 10, but its just the easy way to get good gear and thats stupid, what ever happened to 40 man raids?

ever since this game became popular Blizzard has been making it too casual, now everyone can get tier gear, actually why bother since you cant PVP in tier gear, everyone has gladiator gear and its bullshit, mostly thanks to the new stat, resiliance, that is killing the game.

I heard that people wanna be able to choose to do a 10 man raid because they wanna be able to see the "whole" game, imagine 10 manning MC, you know that boss that slams his hammer into the ground and send people flying, well what looks cooler, 10 people flying or 40, seeing the raid is 50% of its coolness, the other 50% is because your doing the raid with a freaken army!!!

WOW was the greatest game ever until it became popular, now its too casual, and when the new set of glad gear comes out, Brutal gladiator gear, well its gonne be retarded, more stam, more crits and more resiliance, it hasn't gotten to the point in which i would quit yet, but its getting there, if they continue to make LK the way they are, im just gonna quit, everyone will have insane glad gear, i will spend a month reading for teir gear for what? i cant pvp in it, i use it to get the next tier, for what, its not like giant stalker where you can PVP in it, and that is makin WOW suck, making ou have a PVE and a PVP gear, seperating PVP from PVE, Blizzard is killing wow.

I soooo agree with you.
I don't mind if casual players are having fun. The more the merrier. I knew many great casual faces, but what arena did to WoW is pathetic.
Noone really cares about anything else. It sucks. Pre BC days were glorious. It was just great to have fun with tons of other players on a raid or an event but when BC came out guilds started to disorganize, collapse. Raids got smaller, arena came in, the new battleground wasn't only small and boring but no others followed it.

My hunter still has my Epic Hunter Quest Bow I was so f.ing proud of and some giantstalker gear. I did that quest in ZG level gear, with an alchemist friend on my side watching. That quest was the best in the whole game. BC has no content like this. "Kill 50 this, collect 50 that, take a dump on Arthas' doorsill".

Doing raids with a "freaken army" was awesome. Waay much more exciting than a 10 man Kharazan which barely had any interesting fights. Even Prince was boring..

WotLK seems to be even worse than BC, but I would like to see it bringing back the 'W'in to 'W'arcraft.

Level 6
another problem is all mobs in raids is basicly just tank n' spank, some may have a few AOE spells but nothing serius that would really change the way you must deal with certain tpes of mobs.

Raids have become so boring that me and my brother can only arena for fun, our plan is to save up lots of honor and arena points, then when LK comes out, get to lvl 80 asap, then buy alota of kick ass glad gear and other PvP gear so to become the same OP cheap ass we both hate so much. and screw raids for LK why raid if you cant even PvP in them?

I dont know what they are gonna do about Arena, you cant make Raid gear good for PvP anymore because Arena is already out, Blizzard has ruined WOW, at this point all they can do is keep LK from getting more screwed up, and for the love of god make AV longer, Back in the day i heard AV lasts 30-45 minutes, always time for side quests, summoning out the shammans, summoning that gigantic rock elemtal "Lok" why did they put in that stupid reinforcments system.

Anyone know if Warhammer online or Age of Conan is any good? Because im not sure if WOW is gonna be much fun soon.

Level 13
Anyone know if Warhammer online or Age of Conan is any good? Because im not sure if WOW is gonna be much fun soon.
Age of Conan seems to be very, VERY buggy. WAR is only in closed beta so we ain't allowed to say anything due to the NDA.

Level 36
WAR is bad. It's bankrupted 2 companies in the course of its development. I'll beta test it, but I probably wont play it, WHEN it FINALLY comes out.

In other news, I've seen what's done of Northrend, and it's very sexy. The new level of detail just makes WoW look way less cartoony. Fire effects are excellent as well.

My only complaint thus far is that Blizz tried too hard to vary up the zones in Northrend. I mean, yeah, I guess it would be boring if the whole thing was just snowy tundra, but adding a tropical zone in Northrend? Come on now. That's a little much.

My only worry is how they will balance the Death Knights in PVP, as they clearly rape every other class right now.

Level 25
My only complaint thus far is that Blizz tried too hard to vary up the zones in Northrend. I mean, yeah, I guess it would be boring if the whole thing was just snowy tundra, but adding a tropical zone in Northrend? Come on now. That's a little much.

I've known that place was going to be in Northrend for about a year. It has the same story as Un'Goro Crater, IE: Titan's testing grounds. So get ready for MORE DINOSAURS

Level 17
I've known that place was going to be in Northrend for about a year. It has the same story as Un'Goro Crater, IE: Titan's testing grounds. So get ready for MORE DINOSAURS
Gee.

I don't really like the info about Northrend Blizzard currently has on its site. The WotLK ingame .. "Teaser" cinematic with the blonde guy and that woman is just P A T H E T I C. Seriously..
"Trallala, oh look, an Icy Continent full of zombies. Oh, come on honey, let's explore and have some mammoth brains on these idillic glaciers." Then the picnic turns into a nightmare, the woman is killed by a horde of undeads "Nooooooo. :sob: Well, let's turn into a death knight."
It's just pathetic. When I saw it I thought it was a joke or something, but no.
Meh, nevermind. Unless Arena gets nerfed, BGs get a REAL meaning, AV becomes a battleground that lasts more than the current 10 minutes, raids actually get interesting features and drops usable in PvP I'm not going to buy this crap. All the cool and intelligent people I know are either finished playing the game long time ago or became casual players. There are only the 12 year old kids around who rarely speak a proper english anyways..

The material what's viewable from Warhammer looks promising. I might try that out, the podcasts are really funny and they show a lot of cool features. Well, who knows.

Level 2
heres is the official map for northrend

file.php

Level 36
Dreadnought[dA];779409 said:
I see Blizzards greatest failure just keeps getting worse =D
I hope WAR rapes WoW utterly. Good riddance to that pathetic game that suckers so many people into wasting their lives being uncreative and doing redundant tasks.

WAr is not any different from WoW. I've played the closed beta. It's NOT. It's just as time-comsuming and redundant as WoW is, so suck it. Your game is the same as every other MMO, just as WoW is. It's successful as hell, and that's all that counts for anyone with a brain.

Anyway, this thread is being closed. It was necro'd, and since nothing reasonable has been added to the conversation, I see no need to keep it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.