• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW VS RuneScape! (No offence to RuneScapers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
To people who say they cant afford Wow:

Buy the $2 14-free day trail CD(has full WoW on it).

Instal, patch connect to a private server (yes, they are legal to play, making them is illegal) and ba-boom, free Wow, no fees, but you dont get the service you pay for (monthly fee) from the blizz team, eg 24/7 Tech support and more stable servers.
and private servers have a nasty habit on crashing every 5-1hr but nothing to serious...but there is much more lag.

Level 36
There is no such thing as "demon slaying" as a skill. There are professions, which Herbalism happens to be one (It's the gathering profession required for Alchemy) and there are Weapons skills, for all of the different types of weapons. You obviously know very little about WoW and yes I've played Runescape and yes I've concluded that it sucks.

Level 8
mmm Earth to brad if you did play runescape you relize there is a demon slaying skill. It is a special skill that allows people to slay special kinds of monsters that normaly you can't touch with basic attacks or magic. as for weapon skills for Wow they are no more then passive skills Runescape has both accuracy,attack, strength. on top of that each weapon has its own special combos that can be used when you have it charged all the way. As well with there own fighting style such as crush,slash,stab which all can cuase more damage to certain armor types. There herboligy skill is way diffrent from the WoW one you specifcly need to level it up in WoW to be able to identify more rare plants as well as make better potions.

Level 3
Idiot. If you want to sound even reasonably intelligent you provide opinion with evidence. In your case your evidence is "Oh, WoW doesn't have herbiology!" It does mate, and it's something you can get in the first 5 levels. How far did you play, 10 minutes? Know what the hell you're talking about before trying to participate in any sort of reasonably deep discussion.

Of course, this discussion isn't deep at all. It's just one random idiot yelling at another, completely disregarding any logic brought to the table. Lock please?

Level 8
There herboligy skill is way diffrent from the WoW one you specifcly need to level it up in Runescape to be able to identify more rare plants as well as make better potions.

ounce again got to quote my own post becuase somone failed to think before they speak.

And ounce again ill say it. Why lock the post? Basicly to me that is the oldest escuse to win a argument ever. flame somone say the debate is retarded then ask people to lock it so you can get the last word in. If your not going to debate then don't bother posting on this thread.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
As many people have said, comparing WoW to Runescape is pathetic. Beginning on graphics and finishing on the combat system and spells, totally pathetic. I've played runescape for a few time, only to solve some quests. Sorry, but if you can't have more than 1 person attacking a monster, it sucks. Of course, only friends should be allowed to attack the same target to prevent laming, but still, the graphics are just horrible.

Level 8
There is no such thing as "demon slaying" as a skill. There are professions, which Herbalism happens to be one (It's the gathering profession required for Alchemy) and there are Weapons skills, for all of the different types of weapons. You obviously know very little about WoW and yes I've played Runescape and yes I've concluded that it sucks.

There was not one word of WoW in there thank you very much. And that is the third time I could say you thinked without speaking......so comone don't try to play my own game lol.

btw you can have friends attack the same monsters but usly only in dungouns or where the more tougher monsters are. or in the pvp zones.

Level 45
you just said there no such thing as a demon slaying skill. but yea im done with this argument. go ahead and post the "Last Word" which you probaly will lol.

ahhhh...this is your attempt on last word isnt it? you actually had no need to post that at all in fact, and goodbye.

Anyway, from what i heard Runescape is very unstable in security, people really love the opportunity to steal accounts, my bro had hes account stolen several times (cough* but he stole many others) But then people ingame actually try to sell accounts for money. I mean they seriously need to get better protection.

Wow however, since it uses like a launcher i guess it makes it harder for keyloggers to get the account, but its a far more dire case if your account gets stolen... When your account gets stolen,they sell everything you have for WoW money then they erase your characters and then sell the WoW gold for Real Money.

Either way security should be fixed, not sure how, and sure everything has flaws but in those areas its kinda serious.

and from what i know, people sell their(also other peoples) accounts (wow/runescape) over Ebay, isnt that illegal?

Level 25
Teh Speechz0r

I just watched the video and thought it was very funny. And I can understand it well because I play both games; Well I used to play Runescape, until I got bored of it which took about... a couple weeks and got WoW
Runescape's graphics are horrible, yet for the time being I had no MMORPG's so at that time, I thought that the graphics were good enough for a free game and enough to satisfy me. The Gameplay of Runescape isn't too bad either, except for PvP of course and many other things. The fact that Runescape is somewhat more 'realistic' than WoW (For example: Chopping down trees and then making a campfire/bonfire to cook food over) in it's own little ways draw Runescape players away from WoW more than you think.
Runescapers tend to like WoW more mostly because of the monthly costs and the price of the game itself and others admit that it's too complicated for them to handle (Even though it even says on the box of WoW "The game's user interface is so intuitive, you may never need to read the manual.") Although it is quite complicated further into the game, you eventually get a hang of it.
After I started playing World of Warcraft, I agreed that I'd never go back to playing Runescape since WoW honestly that good! PvP/PvE is awesome;Graphics are good;Word Filter is adjustable;etc.
However World of Warcraft has it's great flaws as well... for example: Leveling
One thing I adore about Runescape was the level gaining mainly because it was so much easier, meanwhile with WoW it's taking me 2-3 days or more to get from level 57 to 58! I'm not a pro at either game and not too many people are because alot of people I know complain about the same thing, however WoW is good enough to deal with it's flaws because they arn't too major and there arn't too many, and best of all that I love Blizzard for is that they fix their flaws every single time or so they try to.
Runescape on the other hand doesn't really improve too much. Mostly adding new crap and replacing alot of stuff but each attempt I guess makes Runescape more improved even by a tiny bit.
To make this big whole thing shorter, all I'm trying to say is that both games are great in their own ways. WoW is great in almost every way and Runescape sucks in almost every way, yet it has some potential for sure to become really big and has alot of fun things involved in the game too...
BUT I no longer support Runescape really and I'm a WoW fan so to all you WoW fans:
Hit 60 before BC comes out :D

PS: Sorry for the pretty big post :p

I'm not a thread necromancer but I had to post in this one..

For one
I took a entire collage course on java

You mispelt college xlight..

For two

These games are nearly identical genres, both are MMORPGs played online with other characters, in a fantasy role player game environment, both are centered around PVE and PVP interactions (the systems both run off the same basic ideas) etc.

Runecape honestly has nothing over WoW.. RS has stolen most of their ideas from hundreds of other titles.. and for pete's sake if I wanted a house (and one that looked decent) I'd go play Ultima Online.

WoW is now $20, free 15 day trials are available right off the site, and theres even payment assistance for accounts.. If you really enjoy Runescape so much, then keep playing it, but honestly, your massively missing out..

Three:

Pros Vs Cons
Being a Runescape player for at least 4 years of my life, 1998 to 2002, I have the background information to make these arguments.

Lets start with Combat Systems

Runescape
Hack and slash, literally sit there while your character attacks, a few choices of spells available to you (about 40 I believe) but are very limited and most are just damage upgrades of previous ones.

WoW
You could hack and slash if you wanted, but wheres the fun in that? Each class has about.. I'd say ~25 spells and abilities available to each (not counting upgrades in rank, which would be about 10-12x the amount) 9 classes in the game x 25 unique spells = 225 spells, take that times upgrades.. ~2700 spells and abilities available to you. Buff/Debuff system. You are able to play in real time rather then a timed turn based system (and yes Runescape is a turn based system with a timer, not a second by second real time) you are also able to jump (provides hours of entertainment) and the terrain plays into your combat besides just being a place to get stuck on.

Player vs Environment

Runescape
Dungeons, lots of repetitive dungeons, built similarly, some of them have their unique qualities, but almost every single creature is the same with a few varying factors in health/damage/special abilities. Its possible for other groups to go into the dungeon and gank/ruin your experience.

World of Warcraft
Over 30 Instances available to you, a private dungeon that upon entry keeps others from messing with you. Many of them require massive teamwork and coordination, as many of the creatures that challenge you are unique in almost every possible way, every pull is a new experience. Massive 40 man raids from the deepest volcano to the highest mountain.

Items and Crafting

Runescape
Repetitive recolored items (WoW has some too, but at least has SOME variety), crafting professions are very basic and as you go up in the skill you get the ability to make an item identical to your basic item, only increased stats and a different color, only about ~50 items per profession. Items are lost upon death except your 3 most expensive ones. A lot of gear dependency on players, instead of skill.

World of Warcraft
Tens of thousands of unique and different items, unique stats system for items, each profession has hundreds of possible items you can create, each with a different look and stats to show. Rare recipes are obtainable from mobs or raids. Your items are permanent (considered carebear in some cases) but you don't lose years of work in one wrong move. Gear does not determine skill, as a green geared player still has a chance against an epicced out raider.

Player vs Player

Runescape
Wilderness, you walk out there, you die, you get your stuff stolen.

World of Warcraft
Battlegrounds dedicated to PvP alone, allowing you to group with 9-39 other people to accomplish a set objective and reap massive benefits. PvE and PvP servers to accomodate players playing styles. Raid cities and fend off hordes of guards in your factions name (honestly here, world pvp has its flaws but Southshore vs Tarren Mill is still freaking amazing) The new arena system allows a set group of friends to fight their way to the top of the ladder each season and obtain gear.

Graphics

Runescape
Recolorings, members can have their armor get a gold outline on it (woo), spells are cheesy and have maybe 8 polys in each one, and the characters are about the same, my 8 year old sister could make a Runescape character in Milkshape 3D...

World of Warcraft
Thousand poly models, beautiful spell effects, dungeons, cities, and zones elaborately crafted to make your eyes bleed in goodness. Shaders (nuff said =p)

Overall

There can be arguments both ways, and some of you will stick your nose in and say you can't compare the two games, but as many have said the RS players bring it on themselves, you cannot bring your opinion about a game into an argument without being retaliated upon.

One thing you fail to realize, even though Runescape is free, it is made by a large corporation (Jagex is a fairly well-to-do company and makes a very nice annual profit) most companies of Jagex's stature make games that are on par with some of the latest games (Silk Road for example, an excellent free game that provides just as much fun as runescape, its company made an excellent game, even though the company is nearly unheard of)

Overall, would you rather have 3 months of Runescape or 1 month of a game thats 3x+ better?

(please note, you pretty much have to be a member of Runescape to do anything decent in the game, last I remember dues were about $5 a month)

Status
Not open for further replies.