• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Wota Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Our project

This project begun little over 2 months ago. I had an idea to create map about War of the Ancients period, and my friends instantly backed me up, and we created a 3 man editor team. Now it's 7 editors, and we've even managed to release a demo version. Demo version here: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/228999/ slightly outdated

What is Wota - War of the Ancients?
War of the ancients is a massive war between Elves(plus many other races) and Demons 10,000 years before WC3 time. As result of the war, the only continent, huge landmass Kalimdor, was split into Northrend, Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. Barrens desert, desolated Desolace and dry Thousand Needles are all the result of War of the ancients. This is actual lore created by Blizzard.
Well of Eternity and Demon Soul are key figures of the war.

Not just another Warcraft map

We listen to the community, asking what people want the map to be. On top of that, we have a Google doc and discussion group for editors. We actively seek more editors for our project.
Our community is in site Diplomunion.com but we'd like to spread into Hive aswell. We are very open to everybody's suggestions.

What has been done already?
Terrain is constanly being worked on. We have shaped the continent, Northrend, Kalimdor, Khaz modan and Lordaeron all combined. There are currently 3 people who have used the terraining brush.
Object data and trigger data haven't been touched honestly. We've been focusing on terrain.
We are not using cliffs, and try to keep custom models and tiles to minimum.
Map has been decided to be Advanced build-based. That means, we're finding more ways for the player to customize his army and will overhaul the default build layout.
It's going to be strategy map, and community wishes it to be very much alike to AW:lr. We will not make Wota be copy of another map.

What are the races?

Races have been decided aswell. They are:
Druids, 2 Kaldorei players
Highborne, 2 Demon players
2 Troll players
Earthern, Dragonflight&Titans
Old Gods, Nerubians

Alliances aren't certain yet. The map will not be FFA though. We decided to have Open Diplomacy with some restrictions.
There will be a major war between Elves and Demons. The other races will be battling aswell, and then the victorious races will battle either Demons or Elves.

Will there be Broxy?
Brox.jpg

So far no. It hasn't been discussed yet, so most likely Rhonin, Broxigar and other Knaak's creations won't be in the map.

What's our goal?
Our goal is to have the map in alpha-state before summer ends. We've defined our project as summer project. Balance is important to us; before adding any events, we'll try to polish the balance.

Economy & Income
Since this is a strategy map, there has to be way to get Gold. Map will have Control points, similiar to AW:LR, which are capturerable and grant gold every income turn.But the map will have Towns, capitals and other destroyable buildings which grant more gold than CPs.War Tax will be implemented: the more food you use, the less % you receive every turn.
Even though having Mana as a resource makes more sense than Wood or Gold, we decided to not change any of these.

Project members in all their glory
Project Head: Me-Vampkitty
The rest: Thurr, Perk, Erkowich, Steakonspear, Ghost and Linkinblade
Majority of us are from Clan LHoT, which has been editing Daow and AW:lr maps.

Interested in?We aren't looking for certain people, but if you are interested in joining our project, you can send me private message here on Hive or e-mail me [email protected]

Thanks for reading! I will be answering everybody's questions.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
1.Nice project looking forward to it.
2.Can you show some terrain screenshots.
3.Can you tell a little bit about each races background I am willing to do this if you tell me what you want.
4.Are there going to be different modes.
5.I would like to join this what do you need help[ with?
6.Again nice map

Level 3
@Bethmachine
2. You can download demo version and open it
3. We haven't thought about it that much. Aren't they quite obvious?
4. Most likely no
5. Writing unit and building lineups.. that's what we need.

@Chaosy
I believe you need to read the post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.