• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Taken directly from Curse.com note that this is a rumor however (though appears very likely)

--------------------------------------
New rumors are coming in about the next World of Warcraft expansion, and yet again they involve the continent of Northrend. It's very important to keep in mind that these are just rumors right now, but there has been a feature list found(in German - presumably for the Games Convention in Leipzig) as well as a FAQ. The FAQ is in English, and I've pasted some of the more pertinent pieces below. You'll want to check out wowszene.de for the full FAQ.

Features

* The continent of Northrend added to the world of Azeroth. Northrend is about the size of Outland.
* Content for players level 68 and up.
* Level cap increased from 70 to 80.
* Brand new abilities and talents introduced.
* New "Hero" class added - the Death Knight; this class will need to be unlocked through certain criteria before it becomes available.
* New Profession: Inscriptions - allowing you to permanently enhance spells and abilities.
* Siege Weapons and Destructable Buildings added to the PvP landscape, as well as a new Battleground.
* A plethora of new Dungeons, including 25-player Raid Dungeons and Heroic variants.
* An abundance of new quests, monsters, items, and recipes.

- = FAQ for World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King = -

What are the features of the new expansion?

Wrath of the Lich King builds on the rich foundation established in World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade, providing a wealth of new content for players to explore. The harsh, forbidding continent of Northrend, home of the Lich King and his undead minions, will be uncovered on the world map, and to contend with the new challenges found there, players will be able to advance to level 80, acquiring potent new abilities and talents along the way.

In addition, Wrath of the Lich King will introduce the death knight hero class to World of Warcraft. Once certain criteria are met, players will be able to create a new death knight character, which will start at a high level. Furthermore, player-vs.-player battles will reach a new level of intensity with the addition of siege weapons and destructible buildings, not to mention a new battleground. There will also be an abundance of new quests, dungeons, monsters, items, and recipes -- as well as a new profession, inscription -- for players to try out. The expansion will include some additional character-customization options for players as well. We'll be going into more detail on all of these features in the months ahead.

How will the death knight class fit into the game?

The death knight combines martial prowess with dark, necromantic energies. Players might be familiar with the death knight from previously released Warcraft games -- most recently, in the campaigns for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and the Frozen Throne expansion, the former paladin Arthas became a death knight and wreaked havoc across Azeroth and Northrend before fusing with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King. The death knight is the first hero class in World of Warcraft; once certain criteria are met, players will unlock the ability to create a new death knight character, which will begin play at a high experience level. We're currently exploring various options for how the death knight will play and the types of abilities at its disposal, and we'll be revealing more information about this new class as we get further along in development.

What role will the death knight play in groups and raids?

In general terms, the death knight can be considered a type of class that combines damage dealing and tanking, but naturally it will have an array of unique abilities as well.

What races will be allowed to play death knights?

We haven't yet made a final determination about which races can be death knights. However, the class will be available to both the Alliance and the Horde.

What is the story background of the expansion?

Players last visited Northrend in the Warcraft III expansion, when Arthas Menethil fused with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King, one of the most powerful entities in the Warcraft universe. He now broods atop the Frozen Throne, deep in Icecrown Citadel, clutching the rune blade Frostmourne and marshaling the undead armies of the Scourge. In Wrath of the Lich King, the greatest champions of the Alliance and the Horde will do battle with the Scourge amid Northrend's howling winds and fields of jagged ice, and ultimately face the Lich King himself.

Will players actually get to encounter Arthas himself?

Players will be skirmishing with the minions of Arthas from the moment they set foot on Northrend. He will be a constant presence as players progress through the expansion content -- which will culminate in a showdown with the dread Lich King himself.

What can you reveal about Northrend?

The first area of Northrend we're showcasing is the Howling Fjord, a region of grasslands overlooking massive cliffs at the southeastern edge of the continent. This, along with the Borean Tundra, is the front line of the war against Arthas, and players will come face to face with his minions as soon as they set foot on Northrend. Eventually, as players progress further, they will explore the Grizzly Hills, Dragonblight, and more. We'll be showing off some of these new areas in the months ahead.

Additional Confirmation:

Trademarks are here. No more speculation !

1. : Go to http://www.uspto.gov/index.html
2. : Click Trademarks > Search Trademarks Database
3. : New User Form Search (Basic) and submit query.

wotlksearch.jpg

First Patent (Game)
Word Mark WRATH OF THE LICH KING
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; and providing online information in the field of computer gaming entertainment

Second Patent (TCG / Goodies)
Goods and Services IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Comic books, strategy guides, trading cards, coloring books, adhesive stickers, rub-on transfers, notebooks, stationery-type portfolios, posters, greeting cards, calendars, instructional leaflets, manuals, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, catalogues, photographs, art prints

Third Patent (Guides)
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable software for use in connection with computer games; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

---------------------------------------------------------

The other possible expansion was speculated by IGN.com

Recently we've been receiving emails regarding the rumored second expansion. One came in from an anonymous "blizz guy," whatever that means. He claimed to have inside knowledge of what Blizzard was going to announce, which we've highlighted below. Please keep in mind that this list is entirely unsubstantiated.

* That expansion pack is called World of Warcraft: Into the Maelstrom

* The Maelstrom area of Azeroth will be opened up for play. Will consist of various islands and Undermine will have a new neutral city.

* The islands will include questing zones, raid dungeons, that city, and a new arena.

* The level cap is being raised to 80 with the expansion but there will be no new talents.

* Advancement after level 70 will be through Hero Classes rather than talents. Hero classes will function as subclasses and each existing class will have 3 of these hero classes to choose from. These hero classes will not be limited by talent choices. Players will be able to choose these new subclasses at trainers when ItM goes live.

* Currently the Priest and Druid hero classes are complete and the Warrior and Mage are close to completion.

* Hero classes will be demonstrated at BlizzCon

When contacted, a Blizzard representative responded with, "we haven't announced any details on a second expansion. We also can't comment on rumors or speculation."

Last edited:
Level 12
I'm pondering to myself if I should play the expansion or not. It'll probably be like the previous expansion, boring when you can't find a community you like. Anyways I hope to get my first impressions when they announce it at BlizzCon.

But they may not announce it at BlizzCon if they have an alternative to announce instead.

Level 25
I expect some more Starcraft 2 previews personally, like that one race they haven't shown much from, the Zerg

Anywho, thing sounds fake. Destructable siege things and Hero classes were ment from day 1 and are the most asked things, so they will evently not be in it. Also, Death Knights, as anyone with a slight interest in the lore can tell you are a Scourge group and not something anyone and their dog can become

Level 11
Hey mecheon....

wotlkphoto.jpg

*The dark, necromatic Death Knight - the first new character class added to World of Warcraft since its launch.
*Northrend, the harsh, icy continent where the Lich King holds rule, complete with new zones, quests, items and monsters.
*New level cap of 80 providing access to mighty new powers and talents
*New battlegrounds featuring siege engine warfare and destructable buildings
*Expanding character customisation options including new hairstyles & dances, the ability to change the hairstyles of existing characters, and new skin color variants.

Level 25
I can shop things as well

Also, those classes aren't Death Knights. You know what Death Knights are? They're undead. Whatever the class is is not a Death Knight. They're Shadow Paladins most likely. They're also notably not, you know, something original like Runemasters or Necrolytes

Level 13
As much as I hate it the new class IS the Death Knight. . . .

This should be renamed "World of Warcraft: Let's Rape Lore some More!"

Level 26
WoWWiki said:
Death Knights is the name of two distinct orders of powerful necromancers. The original death knights of the Second War were powerful undead necromancers created by Gul'dan the Warlock to replace the warlocks slaughtered by Orgrim Doomhammer. The most prominent of the death knights was Teron Gorefiend. Years later a new order of Death Knights, created from living and undead humans (occasionally other races), emerged during the Third War, most being former paladins who have forsaken the Holy Light and entered the service of the Lich King. Both orders share a few things in common including riding undead horses, and sharing some of the same abilities.
Zomg.

Level 6
Looks like Mr. Horror.Man was friggen right. Death Knight IS the new class..

A WARLOCK/PALLY HYBRID!

hm strange.. wonder why "bored" gms attack. Now, for everyone to see that the scourge will also be a new playable faction. Hahahaha!

MySpaceBarBroke must be quivering in his little boots.

Level 26
Looks like Mr. Horror.Man was friggen right. Death Knight IS the new class..

A WARLOCK/PALLY HYBRID!

hm strange.. wonder why "bored" gms attack. Now, for everyone to see that the scourge will also be a new playable faction. Hahahaha!

MySpaceBarBroke must be quivering in his little boots.
Yeah, I must be quivering in my boots, awaiting space goblins. Listen up, because you obviously don't understand the mechanics of common sense. You could be right, and you could be wrong, but common sense allows me to believe that you are wrong, and if you can't get that into your head, that "fel orcs and space goblins" are not the most plausible additions to world of warcraft, you are not going anywhere in life. If they do, indeed, add "space goblins" to WoW, someone's going to die, be it the fans, the lore, or the blizzard staff. Case Dismissed.

Level 6
Burning Legion goblins, thank you. Informants for Kil'Jaedan. do some research before you start flaming.

Also, I think that a nerubian race will be introduced, as Northrend could hold many secrets and starting areas for low level horde or ally races.

Haha. I love watching you spam how much you hate that I could be right.

Level 26
Burning Legion goblins, thank you. Informants for Kil'Jaedan. do some research before you start flaming.

Also, I think that a nerubian race will be introduced, as Northrend could hold many secrets and starting areas for low level horde or ally races.
I thought I didn't have to do research, seeing as you already told us all of "space goblins and fel orcs". What, are you going to do some retconning of your own? Oh, and Northrend is definitely looking like a patch.

Level 6
Alright bro, I'm done arguing with you. You win. Everyone is wrong, and you're always right. Done.

Anywho. What do people think will be the next hero classes? I remember sometime ago they took the Hero Class thread from the WoW forums. Perhaps some clues were left on the thread? Hmm.. conspiracy theory anyone? They said they might be adding more hero classes in future expansions, but does that mean no more hero classes for this expansion?

All these questions and more!

Level 13
I wonder tho will there be new races. IF there are I think they could very well be Tuskarr and . . . Nerubians/Magnataurs?(Of course those 2 races have the whole "centaur" body problem)

I'm having doubts about new races tho.

I would like to test a Death Knight tho. If they truly are "unlocked" throught progress and when you make one it starts at high level (don't know if these are just rumours) it could be interesting.

Level 13
Wonder wtf a hero class is.
A class of heroes. Just think a school class, but replace the students with Paladin, Archmage, Mountain king, Blood Mage, Blademaster, Farseer, Chieftain, Shadow Hunter, Lich, Dreadlord, Death Knight, Crypt Lord, Demon Hunter, Priestess of the Moon, Keeper of the Grove, Warden, Pit lord, Firelord, Beastmaster, Tinker, Alchemist, Brewmaster and Sea Witch.

Level 9
I just watched the trailer and I have to say a very interesting job. But I still have few questions. First those new, greenish areas (not the one with the human's cities) with storm giants, stone creatures, draconic culture, I can’t think on another area then Crystalsong forest (There are few parts from the Storm peaks aswell)… but the poor Lich King tried to conquer it twice, and failed! Then why I saw a lich over there? And are those red dragons? Aren't they supposed to be green, or they are just dragons that came to die?
Another thing that disturbed me is that many areas doesn't seems very snowy or icy, or at least not as Brann described…
Now for the death knight hero class, hmmm, is that means that there will be a third faction only for death knights? Because I can't understand how a death knight player is planning to enter the action house in Stormwind/Orgrimmar. And how is this going to work? Most (I say that because I don't know if the death knights of Gul'dan counts) of the death knights were paladins before. So is that means that only paladins will be able to become death knights? Doesn't making sense.
The rest is pretty obvious, actually…

And Sgt. Johnson, although Mecheon was wrong (an extremely rare event), he is still the best.

Last edited:
Level 11
I just watched the trailer and I have to say a very interesting job. But I still have few questions. First those new, greenish areas (not the one with the human's cities) with storm giants, stone creatures, draconic culture, I can’t think on another area then Crystalsong forest (There are few parts from the Storm peaks aswell)… but the poor Lich King tried to conquer it twice, and failed! Then why I saw a lich over there? And are those red dragons? Aren't they supposed to be green, or they are just dragons that came to die?
Another thing that disturbed me is that many areas doesn't seems very snowy or icy, or at least not as Brann described…
Now for the death knight hero class, hmmm, is that means that there will be a third faction only for death knights? Because I can't understand how a death knight player is planning to enter the action house in Stormwind/Orgrimmar. And how is this going to work? Most (I say that because I don't know if the death knights of Gul'dan counts) of the death knights were paladins before. So is that means that only paladins will be able to become death knights? Doesn't making sense.
The rest is pretty obvious, actually…

And Sgt. Johnson, although Mecheon was wrong (an extremely rare event), he is still the best.

Go here, http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/

And yes I agree Mecheon is still teh shit, I just won this thread is all lol.

Lich king's voice sucked though.

It doesn't look like they kept the same guy who did the Arthas voice :(

------------------------------------------------------------

Some random info! Some for Wrath of the Lich King, some of its just stuff for the next WoW patch.

World

* Dalaran will be moved and hover above Northrend. It will be used as a neutral capital city.
* There are more daily quests coming in the next patch-- a dungeon daily quest, a battleground daily quest, and a cooking daily quest.

Instances

* A new 25 man dungeon is scheduled for release after Zul'aman, it will have 6 bosses with loots higher than tier 6. Another 5-man instance is also considered. (This will be before the expansion)
* There will be a new CoT instance in the expansion.

Items

* Heroic badge loot will be added to the game with Zul'Aman

Are we going to have to buy new flying mounts again?
Laughter. You'll not "have" to buy a new flying mount, but we'll have new options available.

Will green items in Northrend be better than Tier 4?
Yes, we do expect to see the same kind of progression. We were happy overall with the way it worked. If you're decked out in Illidan gear or the new raid zone that I can't mention just yet that will be out before the expansion (!), that gear will last you a while. But players like upgrades early and often.

PvP
New Battleground

* Siege vehicles that you can drive around
* 15 People in each team
* 30~40 minutes long games.

New Arena Season

* New Season
* New Arena
* New Gear

There will also be a new Outdoor non-instanced world PVP Zone with impact on the whole world. (Even for PVE Servers)

Hero Classes
Hero Classes won't be released all at once because of balancing issues. They're classic Warcraft 3 characters with an "epic feel" (something really different than the ordinary)

The hero class will be created on a new character slot once you completed the quest, you won't lose your original character.

Death Knight

* The current plan is to have the class available for all races.
* Designed to fullfill both tanking and DPS roles
* Can tank using 2H weapons or by Dual-Wielding, no need for shields.
* Rather than using rage, energy, or mana, Death Knights have a special "rune sword" displayed beneath their health bar, onto which the player can etch six different runes (choose between Frost, Blood, and Unholy).
* Rune resource system. Three rune schools: Blood runes, frost, and unholy runes. All DK spells and abilities will use these different runes in some combo. DKs carve these runes into their weapon-- done anytime outside of combat.
* Character portrait has six runes in place of the mana bar (and a special circle around the icon, probably for Hero class). These runes are consume as your spells use them-- they deactivate and then reactivate over time, so if you have two frost and four blood runes, you get that much to use as spells and abilities. We have plans for mechanics that allow you to change one resource type on the fly-- like Warlock's Life Tap (Health=mana).

Unholy Embrace
Instant Cast. 5 min cooldown.
Target is embraced by a silhouette of darkness for 6 seconds, corrupting any healing spells and effects cast upon or currently affecting the target to cause damage for 50% of their healing potential instead of restoring health. Any damage shields cast upon or currently affecting the target will also be instantly consumed, dealing 50% of their absorption potential in damage. Once afflicted with Unholy Embrace, the target cannot be afflicted with Unholy Embrace again for 1 minute.

Level 45
Yes, the voice sucks..doesnt sound evil at all.

anyway, omg teh cute!
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/art.xml?9

edit:
omg new race?
"Shortly upon arriving, the Horde met the tuskarr, a walrus-like race of nomadic fishermen. The two groups have since formed a bond, and the Horde has sworn to aid their new allies in any way possible. Garrosh and his orc forces have also discovered the enigmatic taunka, an ancient offshoot of the tauren race that up until now had been thought lost forever."

Level 14
I think that The Emerald Dream might be the last expansion. . .fighting The Emerlad Nightmare. Well Revolve this expansions seems to be bigger than TBC , i find TBC rather small, as size it doesnt compare with normal WoW. . .even as improvements. . .but world platform just for outdoor pvp , probably after DK other hero classes will be availeble. . .it sounds to be alot more complex than TBC.

Level 25
If anyone is still in doubt...http://www.blizzard.com

Oh and my comment on this is...EPIC FAIL.

Well bugger

Thankfully Death Knights aren't a regular class, which was my major complaint with them. THE SCOURGE'S CHAMPIONS DO NOT BECOME REGULAR CLASSES

I also like the look of the Rune system and am peeved that they used it for this as opposed to finally adding Runemasters to the game

Siege Engines won't be ready for ages. They're something we've wanted, therefore will be hard to come by. Also, they'll be added to AV and manage to bugger it up

The Fjord looks beautiful

My guesses for other areas in the video are the Fjord (Start, port area, grassy place, giant's area), Coldarra (Dragon bridges), and that one place with Magnataurs for the Magnataur part. I think the last part, with the Death Knight, appears to be the Grizzly Hills

I expect some pie and cookies.

You will get only death from me. Mercy is not dispensed here, nor are pies or cookies

Pez on the other hand...

Level 9
This can't be the Coldarra, Mecheon. Brann says that there aren't any roads or bridges on the island. There is only The Frostbridge, but it doesn't counts.
This could be the Sholazar Basin, Grizzly hills or the Storm peaks but I am not sure.
I agree that the Howling Fjord and the other areas look great, but again, where did all the ice and snow go?

Level 2
i think Cool Joe is right and the paladin should already be a hero class but then again then they would loose their pendant to the shaman

yay for tuskarr ^^ they are cool i like them most of all warcraft races and "iron dwarves" or earthen as they are named on wowwiki http://www.wowwiki.com/Earthen
aren't they the ancestors of the dwarves ? could they be the new alliance race? though it would be stupid fighting alongside with your greatgrandfathers

Level 11
where did all the ice and snow go?

Actually I think we have an explanation for this...

This is in the borean tundra part:

The Alliance has established a smaller presence here as well, and as both factions prepare to launch an offensive against the Lich King and his undead armies, they must first address the more immediate threat: the naga. The sinister serpentine race is using massive generators to melt the surrounding glaciers and ice caps, threatening to flood the entire region.

The Naga could be responsible for why Northrend currently isn't a Barren Snowy Wasteland like it used to be. (Or at least was said to be by Brann)

Level 6
The hero classes will work like this: Once a player reaches level 80, they may be able to gain the Deathknight "class". Sort of like switching over at a higher level. Although, that means both the horde and ally will need a hero class.

Level 9
Actually I think we have an explanation for this...

This is in the borean tundra part:

The Naga could be responsible for why Northrend currently isn't a Barren Snowy Wasteland like it used to be. (Or at least was said to be by Brann)

This only explains about The Borean Tundra, because it's the only region of Northrend that the Naga have settled in it.

Level 11
The hero classes will work like this: Once a player reaches level 80, they may be able to gain the Deathknight "class". Sort of like switching over at a higher level. Although, that means both the horde and ally will need a hero class.

Over time between a certain level and 80 you will begin your quests to become a Death Knight, once you finally complete it you become a Death Knight. The Death Knight character however will be a copied version of your hero, you will still have your original one, then you will have your Death Knight.

Ahem h
ttp://www.wow-europe.com/wrath/

What was your point in posting this?

Level 25
This can't be the Coldarra, Mecheon. Brann says that there aren't any roads or bridges on the island. There is only The Frostbridge, but it doesn't counts.
This could be the Sholazar Basin, Grizzly hills or the Storm peaks but I am not sure.
I agree that the Howling Fjord and the other areas look great, but again, where did all the ice and snow go?

Can't be the Basin. The Basin's too damn warm. The Basin's a tropical jungle

Not all of Northrend is covered in snow. It's just a cold place. Europe's a cold place and it's not frozen all year round. The only really snowy places are the Peaks, the Tundra, the Dragonblight and Icecrown Glacier. I'd expect that if WoW had seasons (There's something else I want...) that everywhere would be snowy in winter, but around the perpetual summer time that WoW is in, most of the areas would have thawed out aside from the ones that are always covered in snow

one of those qoutes on post 1 says that the Death Knight is unlockable.....

now that would be pure s**t if you ask me

They're hero classes. What do you expect?

Now you have to start unlocking new classes. I expect these to be more specialised classes

Status
Not open for further replies.